Add Weather on Map setup

Put here any discussion that does not fit to the specific forums.
jalewolt711

Add Weather on Map setup

Post by jalewolt711 »

I think its very nice to put weather on this game like storm, cloudy, rainy and etc. And also morning, afternoon, sunrise, sunset and night. This is for all games ( AOS, AOF, AOWW, AOG ).
IM NOT A MAKER, IM JUST A GAMER
Loveless, Darkness to the Light
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Add Weather on Map setup

Post by Stratego (dev) »

nice idea please make some sample images to show how u imagined, thanks!
jalewolt711

Post by jalewolt711 »

Yeah but I'm sorry I can't draw. In my imagination, there's a shadow clouds moving repeatedly in a map if it snow you make it that it's raining a snow and if there's a storm you make it that there is a sound of storm that will come and images and also like thunder same to storm, just all of weather you put in the map. If morning the color of a map is normal if afternoon the color is like something red-orange if night the color will be dark.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

So like the shadows of a cloud scrolling across the map?
That sounds like a challenge to code, and precipitation will be hard to animate.

It'll be difficult but not impossible.
OLÉ
jalewolt711

Post by jalewolt711 »

Yeah its too hard
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Puss_in_Boots wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:37 am So like the shadows of a cloud scrolling across the map?
That sounds like a challenge to code, and precipitation will be hard to animate.

It'll be difficult but not impossible.
actually no that hard to make (the cloud idea), but that would need specifics: how bigs to make how many and what paths to move them in what speed to look good :)

i assume they should be semi transparent clouds over the terrain and unit layer
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

For day light cicle, a filter on the Hud with desired (transparent) colors might work (something like another layer of "fog of war", but that allow you see enemies within the filter).

For enviroemental effects, things might need to interact individually with each tile, so i guess we could considerate them as neutral units, but they will not work like and on the same field of the standard units, it might need a new layer above "Hightlights" for weather effects. As these imgs will overlay the current ones but at same time stay on the field... (The clouds i think should be locate somewhere very high, 5 or 6 tiles high 160px or 192px) rain will be animated version of these imgs. They will act like neutral units, that means that they can vanish like corpses or be generated randomly each turn like towns, or can be static... Other effects as winds, birds or even typhoons can work on the same way.
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Harchie Hirondo

Post by Harchie Hirondo »

Snow should only occur within or near snow tiles, rain and clouds, almost anywhere I guess...
The war is inevitable! But what if....
Shark guy 35

Post by Shark guy 35 »

Harchie Hirondo wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:02 am Snow should only occur within or near snow tiles, rain and clouds, almost anywhere I guess...
Rain would not be able to go on desert tiles
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week".
-General George S. Patton
Harchie Hirondo

Post by Harchie Hirondo »

Rain can actually occur in deserts, if that area is nearby bodies of water. So, I guess... Rain can occur on desert tiles adjacent to grass/water/snow tiles. And I guess, planes shouldn't be able to go through raining tiles.
Rain will slow down units, snow tiles can slow down units too. Storms can destroy buildings and sink ships, and could cause floods.
For the times of the day, they could be filters just as what the others said. If it's night, units will only have half of their original sight.
The war is inevitable! But what if....
Hyuhjhih
Location: Earth, (the part of blue ball and is named India for some reasons)

Post by Hyuhjhih »

Storm dust reduce sight to 1
Lightning strikes building dealing 10% damage.
LIE = Love Is Eternal.

Design leader of the variants Age of Gods and Age Of Civilization, and live heartedly contributing to AoS.

AoC discord server is up AoC

Return to “Other discussions about the game”