Maharlika Warriors

Marine25

Maharlika Warriors

Post by Marine25 »

The maharlika (meaning freeman or freedman) were the feudal warrior class in ancient Tagalog society in Luzon, the Philippines. They belonged to the lower nobility class similar to the timawa of the Visayan people.
Attachments
78dac1a5b7682c9c4a865bfcba1c9ea8.jpg
78dac1a5b7682c9c4a865bfcba1c9ea8.jpg (12.76 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
DreJaDe

Re: Maharlika Warriors

Post by DreJaDe »

The picture is not a maharlika... If ever, its more like Timawa or visayan.

Tagalog people don't really have that kinda of tattoo nor is that adorned in it. They seem to have had it before but lost it even before the Spanish came due to muslim influence.

Tagalog is also more known to were upper clothing unlike the Visayan.

Both have armor but it was super rare to find a metallic one unlike the muslim moro people.

They also have a tower shields that is said to be able to stop 16th century guns at range.

That sword is weird though... Looks like a "kampilan" but its not. Thats not a kampilan but looks like one. I think it got confused or mixed it with "itak"
TheOrder971

Post by TheOrder971 »

DreJaDe wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:27 am The picture is not a maharlika... If ever, its more like Timawa or visayan.

Tagalog people don't really have that kinda of tattoo nor is that adorned in it. They seem to have had it before but lost it even before the Spanish came due to muslim influence.

Tagalog is also more known to were upper clothing unlike the Visayan.

Both have armor but it was super rare to find a metallic one unlike the muslim moro people.

They also have a tower shields that is said to be able to stop 16th century guns at range.

That sword is weird though... Looks like a "kampilan" but its not. Thats not a kampilan but looks like one. I think it got confused or mixed it with "itak"
Good plan. I Make the Map Historical like "Battle of Mactan"
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

I fr dont know much about our own history but if u needed a list of all of the sultanates in the country during the pre colonial era

Based on a Quora reply ive read, the closest the Philippines has gotten to having a kingdom is the sultanate of sulu

On the same quora post another replied that the Philippines developed really late. Angkor wat the stone temple of cambodia was made in 1110 but compared to the ancient people of the Philippines, they learned how to make stone structures from the spanish and that happened in the mid 16th century. Almost 500 years of knowledge gap compared to their neighbors. So no buildings except huts. We do have ships tho, like large sailing boats
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

Oh and here use my image as a base :D made this years ago maybe at 2020
9752.png
9752.png (1.4 KiB) Viewed 1345 times

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Oh u r Sir Mahalika
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
TheOrder971

Post by TheOrder971 »

SirPat wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:01 pm Oh and here use my image as a base :D made this years ago maybe at 2020

9752.png
Unit Approved (Accept it).
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

TheOrder971 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:32 pm
SirPat wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:01 pm Oh and here use my image as a base :D made this years ago maybe at 2020

9752.png
Unit Approved (Accept it).
Were far from approval, first off: stats

We have no stats and idea where to train; primitive maybe?

SirPat

Post by SirPat »

godOfKings wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:15 pm Oh u r Sir Mahalika
I was copying you guys cause all of you had characters/units as avatars :)

SirPat

Post by SirPat »

Here are some weapons used in the Philippines

Kampilan: 40inch mostly two handed sword but can be held one handed, usually used in headhunting

Kalis: Just like the Kris or keris of java but Bigger, double edged sword

Kalasag: Large wodden shield, often used with the kampilan

Panabas: execution weapon

I also came across this interesting weapon. Its called wasay which translates to axe, it was used for headhunting

There are also blowguns known as simpat and spears called sibat

But those arent specific names for types and they look like any other design from other regions so it doesnt need specific names

DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

SirPat wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:15 am Kampilan: 40inch mostly two handed sword but can be held one handed
Opposite, its mostly one handed but can be 2 handed at times. You can easily observe this on the handle. Its also usually used with a shield so yeah, its more one handed.
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

DreJaDe wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:08 am
SirPat wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:15 am Kampilan: 40inch mostly two handed sword but can be held one handed
Opposite, its mostly one handed but can be 2 handed at times. You can easily observe this on the handle. Its also usually used with a shield so yeah, its more one handed.
From what ive read, the sword is quite heavy so double handed was better but majority of paintings of it has them as one handed, so i had to mention but you made a point, the handle cant fit two hands. I just read more about the hilt, turnsout it was thickened that way to counter balance the weight of the blade

DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

SirPat wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:38 am From what ive read, the sword is quite heavy so double handed was better but majority of paintings of it has them as one handed, so i had to mention but you made a point, the handle cant fit two hands. I just read more about the hilt, turnsout it was thickened that way to counter balance the weight of the blade
Its not that "heavy"

Its can be as light as a longsword but can be lighter. Same way for katana which is heavier normally except katana is shorter by 20-40cm.

Its not like the other shorter filipino weapon x utility tools which is actually as heavy. This is a war weapon, like a woodcutter axe vs war axe.
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

Kalislast.png
Kalislast.png (1.42 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
Headhunterlast.png
Headhunterlast.png (1.42 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
I tried making edits to give a better template
Maharlika template last.png
Maharlika template last.png (1.46 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
The clothes needs to be changed, more traditional with more clothes :lol:

TheOrder971

Post by TheOrder971 »

SirPat wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:40 am Kalislast.png
Headhunterlast.png

I tried making edits to give a better template
Maharlika template last.png

The clothes needs to be changed, more traditional with more clothes :lol:
APPROVED. Accept Again Or Request Your Stats First.
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

?

TheOrder971

Post by TheOrder971 »

SirPat wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:56 pm I fr dont know much about our own history but if u needed a list of all of the sultanates in the country during the pre colonial era

Based on a Quora reply ive read, the closest the Philippines has gotten to having a kingdom is the sultanate of sulu

On the same quora post another replied that the Philippines developed really late. Angkor wat the stone temple of cambodia was made in 1110 but compared to the ancient people of the Philippines, they learned how to make stone structures from the spanish and that happened in the mid 16th century. Almost 500 years of knowledge gap compared to their neighbors. So no buildings except huts. We do have ships tho, like large sailing boats
Here are Ideas for the "Battle Of Mactan" during the Battle like this.
TheOrder971

Post by TheOrder971 »

Maharlika Warriors Stats:
HP:15
Attack Power:11
Range:1
Armor:1
Pierce Armor:0
Speed:5
Sight:4
Action/Turn:1/1
Heal Affect:100%

Reply with any Suggestions for Modifying Stats and request to add special abilities.
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

5 speed? U think a man could run as fast as a horse. Unbalanced, go change it

TheOrder971

Post by TheOrder971 »

SirPat wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:03 am 5 speed? U think a man could run as fast as a horse. Unbalanced, go change it
Stats Modified
HP:15
Attack Power:11
Range:1
Armor:1
Pierce Armor:0
Speed:3
Sight:4
Action/Turn:1/1
Heal Affect:100%
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

New primitive, what's not to like? :)
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Harchie Hirondo

Post by Harchie Hirondo »

Yay! More representation of the island nations!
The war is inevitable! But what if....
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

We need to make individual posts once we think of the unit types. Tbh idk what stats they should have, if we made it like prims than theyll just be prim clones. Idk what should be their signature buff/stat/Aura?.

The keypoints:
  • Mostly muslim
  • Pirate lifestyle: raids other villages using boats
  • Headhunters: chops off and decorates them selves with the heads of warriors they've slain(could be veteran buff)
They could maybe be primitive but more focusses on water travel, could have many boat types. They also have this boat that could carry like 16men on board could have carry cap 1 but low hp

Sombrar +1

Post by Sombrar +1 »

As it seems that he is more focused on a maritime unit but still of the primitive type, perhaps he could be considered a support unit similar to the Roman legionnaire, but being primitive he could build a rowboat and the war canoe of the primitives or it could give a low morale effect to him since they decorate themselves with heads with the following statistics being recruited only in the hut of the primitives perhaps:

Cost -> 4
Hp -> 17
Attack -> 8
Melee and piercing armor -> 1/3
Actions -> 1
Speed -> 3
Vision -> 4

Furthermore, as its focus is naval, its main bonus would be against mainly light vessels such as transporters:

+75% bonus against -> Structures, Siege Engines, Ships;

+100% bonus against -> Transport vessels;

+150% bonus against -> Light Ships;
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

I like the stats :)
I thought of an idea to make them unique. Again idk if this could work :lol:

Weapon effect: headhunter

Applies effect: head mark lasts 2 turns
When this unit dies while it has headmark, he applies low morale on a 1tile area. Lasts for 2 turns

Basically the maharlika warrior chopped off the enemys and the enemy that died gave his allies low morale cause they were shocked :shock:

And i was thinking of a specific tattoo tech. Or maybe a rework

Tribe members in the Philippines only get tattoos when they get kills in battle. Thus they became headhunters, to prove their scores and gain one tattoo per head. I was thinking of giving them a tech that gives them a modified version of veteraning where they get +1hp and +1% conv. Resist per kill

Theyll get tankier overtime but wont deal more damage instead they have the mentioned weapon effect on the top to make them relevant in the early to maybe mid game cause armor values are still low at that time and theyll be irrelevant in late game, even if they get lots of hp early, they wont get +40power just like the highlander :lol:

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Btw does war canoe allow garrisoned unit to atk? Since they only carry primitive unit, acting like viking longboat, with carried unit attacking and getting attacked, also bonus of trireme and not boarding like viking ship, does worse than viking ship in that way
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Sombrar +1

Post by Sombrar +1 »

I tested it and primitive units cannot attack from inside because it has the "No attack inside" specification, besides, considering it is for primitives and a canoe it is useful in transport quick and to intercept or attack quickly since it is fragile but cheap at least.

In fact, is it my imagination or is it intentional that the primitive units can only enter the war canoe if the canoe is inside a structure and then the unit enters the structure and then you place the unit inside the canoe? I tested and the primitive units cannot enter the canoe unless they are inside a structure with the canoe as well.

Now talking about a buff or special ability for the maharlika warrior, i don't think it's appropriate to add a buff like "Veteran" or a weaker version since the primitives already get these buffs with more maximum HP, mental resistance and attack with the Aztec priest's "Altar of Sacrificial" ability. I was thinking about something like low morale, for example for each unit he eliminates he gains +1 skill power where he will have an ability that will work as an aura for him which he applies to himself up to 1~2 squares away from him where it decreases by -1 attack, -1 melee armor with 3~5 cooldown turns and lasting 2~3 turns researched for technology in the primitives' hut.
Last edited by Sombrar +1 on Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheOrder971

Post by TheOrder971 »

Sombrar +1 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:23 pm As it seems that he is more focused on a maritime unit but still of the primitive type, perhaps he could be considered a support unit similar to the Roman legionnaire, but being primitive he could build a rowboat and the war canoe of the primitives or it could give a low morale effect to him since they decorate themselves with heads with the following statistics being recruited only in the hut of the primitives perhaps:

Cost -> 4
Hp -> 17
Attack -> 8
Melee and piercing armor -> 1/3
Actions -> 1
Speed -> 3
Vision -> 4

Furthermore, as its focus is naval, its main bonus would be against mainly light vessels such as transporters:

+75% bonus against -> Structures, Siege Engines, Ships;

+100% bonus against -> Transport vessels;

+150% bonus against -> Light Ships;
Add Effectiveness 50% Bonus Against -> Irregular Infantry, Light Infantry and Ranged [Flesh and Blood]
v094517

Post by v094517 »

Could go on catamaran/juanga ships posted on discord
Sombrar +1

Post by Sombrar +1 »

v094517 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:45 am Could go on catamaran/juanga ships posted on discord
In my opinion, I can't say whether it is necessary to add another vessel for the primitives specifically, because if the player wants quick transport at the beginning of the game he can choose produce the Dromon Scout in the city center since it can transport a unit and has 6 speeds at sea with 8 in deep sea, I would also have to make a new topic to suggest the adding the catamaran vessel in the game since it has an image because Age of fantasy has a version of it divided into three levels so image is not a problem.

If it were something to be considered, its production would have to be limited only to the hut of the primitives and if the Maharlika warrior is capable of building boats, the catamaran could be an option for transport vessel and the war canoe would be an option for attack, if I were to suggest some statistics for a catamaran it would be:

Cost -> 3
Hp -> 22
Attack -> 1
Melee and piercing armor -> 1/4
Action -> 1
Speed -> 4
Vision -> 5

Basically it would be a safer transporter than the war canoe for primitives, having 1 capacity space and being able to transport all units as primitives and non-primitives being able to be built by the worker as an addition to marine constructions that he can make in addition to the rowing boat, the catamaran would be less resistant and cheaper than the normal transporter but it would be more resistant than the rowing boat.

Return to “Unit - melee infantry”