Mining into problems - rewarding to play

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Mining into problems - rewarding to play

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i read an article (link) about RTS games and some points are really true for our AO* TBS games.

eg this:
RTS games lack an easy reward loop to keep players engaged as they learn. In a shooter even if you are playing badly or losing you might get a few kills to keep you coming back and in an RPG you fight regular bosses and get regular level ups to keep you going. RTS games don’t really have that instant gratification that will keep a player going even when things aren’t working out.
this one is also handled (partially?) by
- XP gathering for levels (even when you are losing)
- earning gems (in campaigns/bet games)
- Achievements? (i know current is a "dogshit" - but consider the concept)

Q1: do we need more?

if so any ideas?
in other games i see:
1. collectable items or something (on each maps you have chance to collect something that is either
a) "fancy" weapon (for eg. an avatar in main page)
b) or those weapons can be used in eg. "spell-enabled" games to use on your "hero" unit?
c) these maybe can be traded on a market? - i dont know...
2. Better "achievements":
- more versatile ones (and maybe give rewards on achieving them, gems or cosmetics, or the above mentioned "random weapons for avater))
- or in some games there are "weekly challenges" / "seasonal challenges" and such.
3. other ideas?
b2198

Re: Mining into problems - rewarding to play

Post by b2198 »

1) Not sure about those. The second option sounds fun, and purposefully unbalanced to just have some laughts in a match once in a while. The first and third I don't think would be that interesting for me personally, but I can see people who might like them.

2) Better achievements might be fun to go for. Weekly/seasonal challenges would also be fun to have.

One thing I can think about that would be awesome imo is having some weekly or monthly automated public tournament or something like that. Like, the game creates a tournament and let players join until some time, then it creates the branches and matches the players against each other, in an elimination style, with some predefined rules, and you get a bunch of things based on your classification. Maybe even with a new ranking for that, showing classification in the last tournament, best classification ever, average classification of your last x tournaments, etc.

3) I've already talked about this one, but in the future, if it's doable, it would be really awesome to have a replay system, in which you can record matches and check them afterwards turn-by-turn and from the viewpoint of any player. It would be very helpful for making videos of the game, sharing games with other people and also for learning other players' strategies.
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:09 pm this one is also handled (partially?) by

1. collectable items or something (on each maps you have chance to collect something that is either
b) or those weapons can be used in eg. "spell-enabled" games to use on your "hero" unit?
- more versatile ones (and maybe give rewards on achieving them, gems or cosmetics, or the above mentioned "random weapons for avater))
- or in some games there are "weekly challenges" / "seasonal challenges" and such.
3. other ideas?

I will be honest, I don't care for xp at all. If the game had a more online social interactivity that would make having a higher level feel prestigious then I might. Currently, it justs a vague measure of time spent, than player performance.

(For newer players, xp grinding is atrocious if they want to compare to the older veteran players)

1.1 Troll item?

Basically, you got a special item from the store which can be applied to any building or unit.

If that building or unit was destroyed by an enemy player, an ad will play in front of them.

E.g. AdBomb: Place on unit or building. If unit/building is destroyed, enemy player receives an ad.

P.S Is to be a troll item. Not to be taken too seriously. Effect details will be visible to all players, so the enemy players will know that killing this unit will give an ad.

1.2 Unit Name Customisation

Rename your favourite unit with your name. Or a custom name. Conditions can be
- buy from store
- First Kill of match
- Unit captured town.

1.3 Game Chat Text Narrating/output

Suppose you got a soldier which you named Dave the brave. Dave captured a town named Oldfield. Game chat sends a message saying "Dave the brave has captured Oldfield".

2. Weekly Puzzle or Minigames?

Sure.

If possible, I recommend a persistence "large" Map with tons of units and buildings from all sides. And watch as players (everyone can play) work together to "fight".

As for how this works, I am not too sure. Perhaps players play as a certain unit. Some are at the backline, some at the front line.

Each and everyone has their part to play in the war effort/ kingdom.

As for how and whom goes first, whether it's still turn base or now a rts I don't know. But I wish that was a thing, a massive large map that everyone interacts together in. We need more cooperation from other players.

Hmm... Maybe a more realistic ideal would be some kind of clan or guild system, of which these guild players can actually "contribute" some kind of assistance...
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Bet cashback upon finishing.
Like some specific percentage with a minimum amount.
It could be included as additional bet option, so with new option:
E.g. 25% bet cashback with a bet of 20 would mean 15 goes to the pool for winner and 5 is reserved to be returned upon finishing match.
Won't decrease quitting, but would make forgetting matches less frequent.
Age of Strategy design leader
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:09 pm i read an article (link) about RTS games and some points are really true for our AO* TBS games.

eg this:
RTS games lack an easy reward loop to keep players engaged as they learn. In a shooter even if you are playing badly or losing you might get a few kills to keep you coming back and in an RPG you fight regular bosses and get regular level ups to keep you going. RTS games don’t really have that instant gratification that will keep a player going even when things aren’t working out.
this one is also handled (partially?) by

Q1: do we need more?

if so any ideas?
in other games i see:
3. other ideas?

1. Rent a unit from another AO franchise
Could be an item from shop or when completing an achievement.

2. Buying maps
Once you got your map market up and running, the maps will get better and better as more players join in making maps.

Players can sell their maps on the market. This will allow other players to purchase and use their maps in skirmish and multiplayer.

P.S Some form of validation might be needed otherwise plagiarism issues among players.

3. Drops Rewards
Some of the most satisfying things in game is killing the last unit of the last enemy player. Because you had to walk all across the map, reach the last unit and whack him till he died when you knew that you had already unofficially won 15 turns ago.

These could be anything eg. Gained one shards of Statue of Xx. Can be built in game ad decoration.

Perhaps some of the rarer decorations drops might even give units some bluff. E.g. For medieval fraction, Holy Relic Site. When near a cathedral, boost its healing ability.

P.S You will have to make player inventories :lol:

Return to “Gameplay & UI”