Cavalry archer non existent

Lordofshampoo

Cavalry archer non existent

Post by Lordofshampoo »

Most cavalry archers are meant for hit and run tactics. However with the same offensive stats as an 2 cost archer but for 4 cost and more speed and hp, cavalry archers are weak in static fights. Static fights are present most of the time and most archers have average damage already so to pay a lot more for the same damage output is rarely worth. Units improve so much the more turns they cost. Archers are meant to be protected by a frontline anyway, so them having more hp and speed doesn't translate to a lot more results.
For these reasons, we never see cavalry archers in multiplayer games, I believe they need some kind of a buff or maybe an ability to make them move 2 tiles after attack to make it seem like they hit and run. That ability would not consume action, it would be like a 2 tile jump but probably it's too much since they already are fast. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know about these units, they are hard to balance for sure
DreJaDe

Re: Cavalry archer non existent

Post by DreJaDe »

Lordofshampoo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:38 am Archers are meant to be protected by a frontline anyway, so them having more hp and speed doesn't translate to a lot more results.
Foot archers or skirmishers in general are the banes of horse archers. They are not meant to be protected by frontline troops but they are meant to skirmish or protect the frontline from other skirmishing troops IRL. If they are on the back of frontline troops IRL, how do they shoot their bows without the danger of hitting the frontline troops in the back?
Lordofshampoo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:38 am Most cavalry archers are meant for hit and run tactics.
You pretty much explain why they don't work IRL too in the next sentences. But also when skirmishers are present for the enemy. Horse archers aren't really much of a problem even IRL..

I agree that they should work more and for me, a good way to do it is to make them lighter which I already see in for the elves.
makazuwr32

Re: Cavalry archer non existent

Post by makazuwr32 »

I am thinking to make all non-elven horse archers to have 2 actions at cost of -1 range. Cost will be the same.
Dwarves and scalefolks who do not have "mounted archers" - they have different troops - will get different bonuses.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader

Return to “Balancing discussions”