Conversion balance

Dahdee

Conversion balance

Post by Dahdee »

All races should have a way to re-convert units. I honestly don't know what else to say there, but it seems like a common sense way to further balance the game. I'm not suggesting all races be able to convert, but there should be some way to break the mind control effect once it's been inflicted. Not necessarily easily, but some chance all the same
Midonik

Re: Conversion balance

Post by Midonik »

What do you mean "break the mind control effect once it's been inflicted"? You mean that they should be able to convert back units that were converted? I dont see how I can make that happen from the modding stand point without giving every race convert which Im not willing to do.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

All races should have a way to re-convert units
i think it is not necessary, a race can be a converting "kind" and others not.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

I did not understand there was no way to selectively allow, say insectoids, to only convert their own back. If it's something that cannot be done, I understand. I was never suggesting all races be able to convert another race's units. Thank you for the explanation.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

I could make it so they can only convert the same race with some elbow grease I guess. What about a mirror match tho?
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

quote=Midonik post_id=138226 time=1653992651 user_id=3558]
I could make it so they can only convert the same race with some elbow grease I guess. What about a mirror match tho?
[/quote]This is what I thought about when I said if it can't be done, I understand. The only way it can work, as I suggested, without making everyone able to convert, is if there's a value that can be placed on a unit that identifies it as originally belonging to a certain player. If that can't be done, the idea is not workable without allowing all to convert. And, I agree with you and Stratego, that is not something that should happen. The only other way it could work is if it's a temporary effect that can be healed like fear or EMP, but it's now my understanding that is not how the game engine works.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

identifies it as originally belonging to a certain player.
2 weeks ago: this one can not be done. original player is not addressable / filterable
now: it is maybe possible with the mechanics of the zombie changes for AOF, but we MUST NOT use it as it is still bugging (not always that player gets the zombie)

also midonik wrote this:
only convert the same race
so not original "player" but a "race"
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

I wrote that cause I didnt know it was possible for the units to keep information about who the previous player owning them was. I knew it would be possible to make convert spells that only affect units of certain race (but it would require all the units of said race to have a category to use for it), but that is not what Dahdee is suggesting.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

the previous player owning them was
rethinking it is still not possible, i mixed it up, that is the "owner" of a casted effect, that is the only thing we have, but that is not useful here.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

@Midonik@Stratego (dev)Thanks for your attention to this, both of you. It really seems like it's something that won't work at this time, unfortunately. If the bugs are resolved later for the zombie thing you spoke of, and we could apply that mechanic here, it would be wonderful if we can implement this in the future. I think it can solve a lot of issues with complaints about conversion. So probably put this whole idea in a box for now, and take it out when that time comes where we can do something of this nature.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:36 pm
the previous player owning them was
rethinking it is still not possible, i mixed it up, that is the "owner" of a casted effect, that is the only thing we have, but that is not useful here.
Yes, totally understand what that means, and yes that wouldn't apply to what I'm talking about. It would have to be something that identifies the original owner of the converted unit. So if that ever is used for anything else, or if it has a use in any other Ao games and is put into use, bring it to AoG. I can't really think of any other game except maybe AoM (CIA, KGB, etc conversion) where something like this would be useful. Come to think of it...double agent! Muwahahaha!

Return to “Balancing”