Universal Carrier issue

DreJaDe

Universal Carrier issue

Post by DreJaDe »

For one, It lets artillery and AA shoot inside of it. Like other carrier (half trucks for most faction), it should only allow infantry to hit from insider.

2. It has only 4 damage but it should have 8 since like the Japanese and German half trucks, they all have 1 MG.
DreJaDe

Re: Universal Carrier issue

Post by DreJaDe »

@Jasondunkel
@TntAttack
@Dahdee

I think this really needs a fix. Well, I'm ok if it's not since I'm kinda British main in game.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

lets artillery and AA shoot inside of it
i am not sure i uderstand : you mean it lets artillery and AA shoot from inside? (so shoot out)
if so than
it should only allow infantry
this distinction can not be made.

i can set
a) ALL units to be abl to shoot out,
b) or no any units to shoot out.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:00 am
lets artillery and AA shoot inside of it
i am not sure i uderstand : you mean it lets artillery and AA shoot from inside? (so shoot out)
if so than
it should only allow infantry
this distinction can not be made.

i can set
a) ALL units to be abl to shoot out,
b) or no any units to shoot out.
A. Let all units shoot out

But, any artillery shouldn't be able to enter half trucks or the universal carrier.

Is this doable?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i am favoring logistics, so restricting logistics is kind of not good imho.

maybe to set artillery to not being able to shoo when garridoned (in any carrier/building)?
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:54 am i am favoring logistics, so restricting logistics is kind of not good imho.

maybe to set artillery to not being able to shoo when garridoned (in any carrier/building)?
The intention for half trucks are only for infantry. Its basically the mechanized infantry combo of reality.

Trucks already do this job so much better actually that it's quite the trend. It's much better to use also since trucks are much cheaper can be used for faster attacks since you could fit three artillery.

It wouldn't hamper logistics that much.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:54 am
This is not the solution. Many bunkers were built with the intent of housing and protecting big guns. This solution would leave the only fortified artillery in game as the artillery turret. That would be woefully inadequate.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

It is my opinion, what we should be looking at with this issue is not changes to other units. Rather, we should look at the game mechanic that allows this particular half track/carrier type unit the unique ability to fire artillery and AA from within while not allowing others like the Russian BA-3, the same class of vehicle, that same ability. Find that, and you have the solution to the issue with this single unit. In the past I have used that BA-3 to tow and fire the big Russian 203 arty. I just made a test in map editor and found I cannot fire arty or AA from it. When adding the British universal carrier to the same map, I loaded the same AA and arty and it could fire them all. For me, that shows there is something about the settings for that particular unit which is allowing it alone to perform those actions. That seems to be the thing that needs to be discovered. Not a blanket change to an entire class of weapons. But that is just my opinion.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

Excuse me, Ba-30 is the correct name.
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

Dahdee wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:50 am Rather, we should look at the game mechanic that allows this particular half track/carrier type unit the unique ability to fire artillery and AA from within while not allowing others like the Russian BA-3, the same class of vehicle, that same ability.
Sounds like a plan. This idea isn't too bad, although I can't say it's much in the realism department. Half trucks are quite expensive compared to transports in their cost effectiveness ratio so it's possible this is a solution.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

TntAttack wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:49 am
Dahdee wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:50 am Rather, we should look at the game mechanic that allows this particular half track/carrier type unit the unique ability to fire artillery and AA from within while not allowing others like the Russian BA-3, the same class of vehicle, that same ability.
Half trucks are quite expensive compared to transports in their cost effectiveness ratio so it's possible this is a solution.
universal carrier only takes 2 turns to produce. But, my point really is the universal carrier obviously has some value incorrect for the unit. Because no other carrier type allows those actions.

Return to “Issues”