On step damage - only for targeted units

Any other ideas that does not fit to the specific categories.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

On step damage - only for targeted units

Post by Stratego (dev) »

now mines/assassins deal damage to all units stepping on them (eg. planes in AOW)

what if i set that it will only deal any damage to the targeted units it can damage.

what do u think?
Endru1241

Re: On step damage - only for targeted units

Post by Endru1241 »

Well, in my opinion:
- they should deal damage only to validTargets (or all units if valid targets are not specified)
- planes should not be able to even step on them, to avoid situation when planes are safe to clear mines

So something to make it work for mine to not be IS_STEPPABLE for invalid targets (interrupted movement when trying to end move on the tile with mines) and default STEALTH_FORCES_STEP_ON behaviour for valid ?
Age of Strategy design leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

yes, not so simple - however blocking planes with mines also not looking good (eg. 4-6 lines of mines and no plan can fly in)
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

But they have CAN_BE_FLOWN_TRU spec, right?

Currently mines can be passed through by planes, but when trying to end movement on the exact mines spot - mines explode and deal 1 damage (because they cannot hit flying).

What I mean is making it work like:
Mines can still be passed through by planes, but when trying to end movement on the exact mines spot - plane movement is interrupted and they end with rest of movement.

So essentially changes required in engine to make it like that:
- when unit tries to step on tile, that contains stealth unit with STEALTH_FORCES_STEP_ON another check for validTargets and if false - redirect rest of code execution to the same as if stealth unit had normal STEALTH_ONLY_UNIT
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

And while you are already on the topic of those specs - I have a request for some change or new spec related.

What would be good for few things is something to damage passing unit.
Possibly just make STEALTH_EXPLODES_ON_STEP always deal damage on valid targets passing through?
Then if the damage was supposed to be from exploding trap, like mines - they would have specs: STEALTH_ONLY_UNIT, STEALTH_FORCES_STEP_ON, STEALTH_EXPLODES_ON_STEP stopping and damaging only valid targets, while only intrrrupting invalid.
In case of trap dealing damage to passing enemy and not be destroyed on it, only interrupting movement and probably provoking counter:
STEALTH_ONLY_UNIT, STEALTH_EXPLODES_ON_STEP
In case of trap dealing damage to all passing enemies and not be destroyed on it (AoS caltrops could be changed to work like that), but also not stopping them:
STEALTH_ONLY_UNIT, STEALTH_EXPLODES_ON_STEP, CAN_BE_PASSED_BY_ENEMY
In case of unit dealing damage and stopping enemy, but not be destroyed on it (e.g like AoS reefs): STEALTH_ONLY_UNIT, STEALTH_FORCES_STEP_BLOCKED, STEALTH_EXPLODES_ON_STEP
This one could also provoke counter, so such set of specs could be used for ambush units.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Endru1241 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:52 pm But they have CAN_BE_FLOWN_TRU spec, right?

Currently mines can be passed through by planes, but when trying to end movement on the exact mines spot - mines explode and deal 1 damage (because they cannot hit flying).

What I mean is making it work like:
Mines can still be passed through by planes, but when trying to end movement on the exact mines spot - plane movement is interrupted and they end with rest of movement.

So essentially changes required in engine to make it like that:
- when unit tries to step on tile, that contains stealth unit with STEALTH_FORCES_STEP_ON another check for validTargets and if false - redirect rest of code execution to the same as if stealth unit had normal STEALTH_ONLY_UNIT
i understood clearly i think.

i just say if i want to protect eg. an island from enemy planes i simply place 5-6 line of mines - and eg. a 5 speed (or less) plane can not ever get tru the 5-6 thick mine layer
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Neither can your own units in that case.

And depending on the width - 5-6 lines can be a lot of work.

Plus exactly the same can be achieved filling space with any other units - e.g. caltrops.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:23 pm now mines/assassins deal damage to all units stepping on them (eg. planes in AOW)

what if i set that it will only deal any damage to the targeted units it can damage.

what do u think?
Possibly it will be better to make that as toggable option.

In aof i do not want assassins to deal damage to unit who steps on them (and same will be true for few other planned invisible units).
For aof mines it is fine to deal damage to unit even if it is flying.
But for aof pit traps (from scalefolks) it is not good to deal damage to flying units.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

toggable option
it would be toggleable only by targeting setting.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

makazuwr32 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:17 am
Stratego (dev) wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:23 pm now mines/assassins deal damage to all units stepping on them (eg. planes in AOW)

what do u think?
Possibly it will be better to make that as toggable option.

In aof i do not want assassins to deal damage to unit who steps on them (and same will be true for few other planned invisible units).
For aof mines it is fine to deal damage to unit even if it is flying.
But for aof pit traps (from scalefolks) it is not good to deal damage to flying units.
Stratego (dev) wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:55 am
toggable option
it would be toggleable only by targeting setting.
To be precise if unit doesn't have anything in neither
trnValidTargets nor trnInvalidTargets it means it can damage all.
So what it can damage on explosion would be fully configurable by modder.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Alright. That's good.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader

Return to “Others”