Berserker redesign IMPLEMENTED

Put here any ideas, suggestions about redesigning unit/building graphics.
Lynx Shafir

Berserker redesign IMPLEMENTED

Post by Lynx Shafir »

Thinking of old one isn't terrifying nor the most historical accurate, made this design

Wears Wolf hide, is half naked and got bigger weapon
Attachments
berserk Wolf hood 1.png
berserk Wolf hood 1.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
Thy gave me a sword to pierce a lie,
Serrated edge for the deamon inside
A moment I'm torn between two tides,
But all I need, I bear inside
SirLuciano

Re: Berserker redesign

Post by SirLuciano »

This unit should have a passive ability where the lower the health he has the higher his damage is

Good idea?or nah?
Let the Empire of your land stay within your heart and its knights defend your soul
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Lynx Shafir wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:19 am Berserker redesign

by Lynx Shafir » Today, 09:19
Thinking of old one isn't terrifying nor the most historical accurate, made this design
But Berserker current image is historically correct - they wore armor and bear skin cape. They had religious worship practices related to bears. The name itself implies relation to bear.
Of course raging warriors having image related to wolfs, but they were named Úlfhéðnar by Nordic people.
Btw. wolf-men existed in many Indo-European cultures and were often described as great fighters, madmen, bestial. Werewolf legend probably comes from that.

I would just create new unit, with a little different abilities - from some other culture (celtic comes to mind, but they already have decent highlanders).
SirLuciano wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:48 am This unit should have a passive ability where the lower the health he has the higher his damage is

Good idea?or nah?
I like the idea, but for AoF maybe - while it fits the image of berserks (mostly created by games) - it is not the most historically correct.
Also it could be hard to implement (damage debuff with AMOUNT_BY_HP setting maybe? ).
Something similar, but easier to introduce would be bonus power after taking each hit, but I'm still considering it.
Real berserker would feel much less pain, have disturbed vision, less surroundings awareness, feel restlessness, have hallucinations - those are medical symptoms related to most probable psychoactive substance they used. Additionally induced rage could allow more brave = more damaging attacks, but weaker defence (they often did not survive berserk state).
Maybe just changing berserk ability stats would be more fitting.
Age of Strategy design leader
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

Endru1241 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:18 pm
Lynx Shafir wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:19 am Berserker redesign

by Lynx Shafir » Today, 09:19
But Berserker current image is historically correct - they wore armor and bear skin cape. They had religious worship practices related to bears. The name itself implies relation to bear.
Of course raging warriors having image related to wolfs, but they were named Úlfhéðnar by Nordic people.
Btw. wolf-men existed in many Indo-European cultures and were often described as great fighters, madmen, bestial. Werewolf legend probably comes from that.

I would just create new unit, with a little different abilities - from some other culture (celtic comes to mind, but they already have decent highlanders).
SirLuciano wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:48 am This unit should have a passive ability where the lower the health he has the higher his damage is

Good idea?or nah?
I like the idea, but for AoF maybe - while it fits the image of berserks (mostly created by games) - it is not the most historically correct.
Also it could be hard to implement (damage debuff with AMOUNT_BY_HP setting maybe? ).
Something similar, but easier to introduce would be bonus power after taking each hit, but I'm still considering it.
Real berserker would feel much less pain, have disturbed vision, less surroundings awareness, feel restlessness, have hallucinations - those are medical symptoms related to most probable psychoactive substance they used. Additionally induced rage could allow more brave = more damaging attacks, but weaker defence (they often did not survive berserk state).
Maybe just changing berserk ability stats would be more fitting.
He has horns and a cape, not very accurate in my opinion.
~Gral.Sturnn
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

While I agree, that horned helmets were not used, but cape was very common outfit used by Nordic people.
Meanwhile most definitely none of their warriors ever fought with bare chest - it would be suicide not only in battle, but mostly while travelling considering the climate of that times.
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

Endru1241 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:39 pm While I agree, that horned helmets were not used, but cape was very common outfit used by Nordic people.
Meanwhile most definitely none of their warriors ever fought with bare chest - it would be suicide not only in battle, but mostly while travelling considering the climate of that times.
Cravens, I forgot about the cape fashion, at the end its just a vesatile piece of cloth I remember a documentary about it.
~Gral.Sturnn
Lynx Shafir

Post by Lynx Shafir »

Let's say I change that silly horned helmet to a bear hide

May the ritual appearance isn't perfect for battlefield so I'll put on a "shirt".

I didn't liked Cape and horn together becouse looked like a comic character...

It's ability is rather defensive now, while he's an elephant n killer.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Yeah I think his ability needs change.
Current - bulky image with helmet and cape changed to hooded bear cloak would be the best.

Your graphic work on the other hand I would like to implement as a different unit - the image is great and I really like it. I don't think there is a need for shirt if it wouldn't be nordic unit.
Idea - wolf warrior:
primitive, light infantry, cost 3, speedy, not very defensive (or loosing hp on rage), affected by war paints and tatoos, with some non-standard bonuses.
Lynx Shafir

Post by Lynx Shafir »

Here's with bear hide
If want me to add some other clothing let me know. Chestplate?

It's flattering you like the Wolf one. Who would thought aos gets "werewolves" sooner than Aof ;)
Attachments
Bearserk X.png
Bearserk X.png (1.4 KiB) Viewed 3949 times
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

And also needs ability revamp too :D p
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Lynx Shafir wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:12 pm Here's with bear hide
If want me to add some other clothing let me know. Chestplate?

It's flattering you like the Wolf one. Who would thought aos gets "werewolves" sooner than Aof ;)
Maybe chestplate with short sleeves (so chest and left shoulder colored/buffed) - I don't know which would look better - metal or leather.
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

What about chain mail?
~Gral.Sturnn
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

wasnt chain mail introduced later? were there chain mails in the time of vikings?
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

also on the side note, it doesnt make sense for vikings to have bonus on elephants, instead should have high bonus on buildings (let loose a berserker in a village and he will massacre all, not even allow a chicken to continue breathing)
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

godOfKings wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:10 pm wasnt chain mail introduced later? were there chain mails in the time of vikings?
yes it definetly did, it was the most predominant type of armor everyone wore, well almost everyone.
~Gral.Sturnn
Lynx Shafir

Post by Lynx Shafir »

Mail or gambison
Attachments
Gambison Berx .png
Gambison Berx .png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 3767 times
mail berrx .png
mail berrx .png (1.4 KiB) Viewed 3767 times
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Ok.
The one with chainmail is in the pack.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Berserker redesign IMPLEMENTED

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i also just put the golden colored as a selectable skin option - thanks Lynx!
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

godOfKings wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:12 pm also on the side note, it doesnt make sense for vikings to have bonus on elephants, instead should have high bonus on buildings (let loose a berserker in a village and he will massacre all, not even allow a chicken to continue breathing)
wat about this point? @Endru1241 ?

Endru1241

Re: Berserker redesign IMPLEMENTED

Post by Endru1241 »

I left his elephant bonus alone and added toned down swordsman bonus (+50%, +100%, +350%). It makes berserk destroy factories in one strike, but be a little weaker against fortifications, armored siege, castles than man-at-arms. Better than broad swordsman though.

Return to “Graphics”