betrayal of king Maximus

Discuss anything about any map, ask for hints/help if you need
max-damage

Re: betrayal of king Maximus

Post by max-damage »

You can't...the birds shit all over them and knock them down while they're under construction...
It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder if you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

I invented an umbrella tech. :ugeek:
Thanks!
Josh
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

JK. But those are the worst things to be spammed with. They're annoying because they just barely belong.

I consider them a fast suicide unit (compared to the assassin) - 2 archers cost the same and whoever wins the match is who attacks first. But I think a long bowman with master archery 1 can kill an ornithopter with one shot.
Thanks!
Josh
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

COOLguy wrote: I think a long bowman with master archery 1 can kill an ornithopter with one shot.
Yes...you've been watching me do it for two days... ;-)
It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder if you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
lacicada

Post by lacicada »

I have done it!

I did it in under 300 turns. It took 190 turns to finally capture a TC though. Here was how I did it. Once you capture the three TCs to the East the rest is easy.

*Save up 20 gems, you will need this to convert two elephants (5 a piece?) and then to clone them (4 a piece?) I mean if we have the gems, use them! Right away you can stop the elephant assault on the tower.
*Recruit workers to build big towers (to defend against ornithopters and catapults) Build the large towers as close to the bridges as possible, you will need them to take out the catapults early.
*Build a Siege Factory and build ballistas to handle infantry. Switch to recruiting catapults in the TCs.
*When the bridge is beginning to clear out, destroy the siege factory and switch to a Barracks near the bridge. Upgrade to halberdiers and recruit them asap. Once you've got about 5 of them, place them near the mountains to fight cavalry.
*Upgrade to Man at Arms and recruit about 10 of them, they will be used to assault the TCs to the East.
*Recruit more workers to build Wagons and Catapults, then send them across the bridge to the east. It took me a pack of 7 or 8 Catapults to blaze the way.
****!!!!***** Build bridges on the south of the existing bridge! This will allow you to maneuver over the bridge easier, without shuffling your catapults too much.
*Once you capture a new TC immediately build a barracks or archery range to battle the men on the bridge.
*Once you capture the southernmost TC, build ornithopters to take out the catapults to the north. (They will be heavily mounted by this time)
*Build connecting bridges between the islands so you can quickly take the TCs to the north east.
*Keep building catapults, ballistas, wagons, and man-at-arms.
****!!!*** it was extremely useful to build a Blacksmith shop and upgrade all infantry and archery, so that you may begin to launch farther attacks.

Go after the TC to the Northwest last because they have no connecting bridges... it will always be slowest to send out units.

GREAT MAP AND IM GLAD TO HAVE PASSED IT AND MOVED ONTO THE NEXT MAP!!!
No need for 4 gems because the strategy-building is the better gift!
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Lol :D

Glad you had fun, but I think a map should have the possibility of winning with three stars. :)

But this:
*Save up 20 gems, you will need this to convert two elephants (5 a piece?) and then to clone them (4 a piece?) I mean if we have the gems, use them! Right away you can stop the elephant assault on the tower.
is slightly "cheating". ;)

As the map now stands, what do you think is the absolute minimum number of turns to win?
Thanks!
Josh
lacicada

Post by lacicada »

The ornithopters are not the problem. If the AI was truly smart it would assault with only artillery and ornithopters...

It only needs to send four at a time to wipe out any infantry units.

The problem is securing the bridge!!! The pass on the far left is skinny enough for you to block with the elephants. If you can't control the bridge you will never succeed. There is simply too much land to cover if you want to progress to the north. Capture the TC to the East first and then get the other two there. From there you will have the easiest time, because you should have been building up your artillery and infantry skills.
enrich

Post by enrich »

I did it in 58 turns...though not my best work towards the end.....the game is not about defending that one tc but capturing the other four 8-)
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

enrich wrote:I did it in 58 turns...though not my best work towards the end.....the game is not about defending that one tc but capturing the other four 8-)
DUDE! You are my hero! :) Did you use consumables? I have been trying to do that, but I can never hold on to them.
Thanks!
Josh
enrich

Post by enrich »

You have to play with the ai...,........................at the end you should have 2 archers and 1 soldier... Keep one archer in the tc and the soldier next to it to the left the other archer should be heading up to make missionaries. In your initial tc you should research conversion THEN build a monk. Back in the conquered tc by the time they kill your soldier you should already have a monk. Move it NE and convert a knight (start over if you fail). Then bring in the knight to your tc THEN your monk so it can protect it.....you will eventually be run over when the omnihopter comes.....by this time I think you should have a missionary, and a monk on the way from the tc northern most tc.....you HAVE to convert it, it is necessary to so it can take hits and block the knights from killing your priests at first, then to help clear some enemy missionaries, take over the two remaining TCS and finally to Kamikaze a catapult......after this is your call :D .............note: yellow will be driven back steadily with the help of monks but the problem will come from blue (I could have probably finished around 45 but I got careless and sent a few hussars to their death a couple times until I loaded a few crossbowmen into a wagon for coverfire :| )

Oh and no I didn't use consumables..... In the end though, it said that I had finished the game in 38 turns and gave me two gems??? So I guess the victory conditions were changed implicitly to 55 60 and 65 turns idk
ttim42

Post by ttim42 »

This map IS winnable in under 35 turns. I beat it yesterday. Here are the details:

North - You can make it to the closest two TCs with all 5 archers and a swordsman. If you can't hold the closest TC, you can't win in under 35. The eastern most archer leads, followed by two swordsman, the rest of the archers, and the last three swordsman. Keep them compressed in a NW to SE diagonal so that at the end of the first turn, there are only two spots where the knights can attack. Do not attack with swordsman (use them as shields and you will get two stops out of each). At the start of the second turn, two of your swordsman will be almost dead. When you move everyone as far east as they can go, attack with one of the damaged swordsman and use the other two to form another diagonal wall one square east of where the last wall was. The goal with the archers is to get each knight down to yellow (4 hits). If after the first turn you give each knight three hits before you go for the 4th on all of them you will save all your archers. The second of the first two swordsman is also a shield. Everyone else heads to the TCs, but that one heads up the bridge when it gets there and then takes one step back. This buys enough time for the first archer to get to the first TC and build a healer before the knights get there. Once the blue knights are all frozen (in yellow damage), focus on getting 4 hits on one yellow knight at a time. Send the swordsman to the first TC as well and the next archer to the TC to the east (leave him there for the ornithopter attack (you have to watch close, you can always see it coming if you are looking for it). The first archer should continue north as soon as it takes the first TC to claim the other two. The first two TCs you take, build a healer first and convert knights as fast as you can. Converted knights move into the TC to defend. I'm not entirely sure how they determine which unit gets attacked when the knight attacks the TC, but the healers tend to be safer outside the TC because as long as you don't have more than 3-4 knights attacking at once they will only attack the TC and ignore the healers. IMPORTANT: You have to convert a knight before the first healer dies to hold the TC. If you don't, just restart the map..if they take the first TC you are not likely to win in under 35. For some reason, I could never convert the knight next to the TC but could convert the one that was a square away..probably a coincidence.

South - Building progression for the TC you start with: Healer, Persuasion, Archer (to stop the ornithopter.. you only need one..watch for the ornithopter to come and step out of the TC to get one hit far enough out that it won't pursue), Builder, Builder, Ornithopter (by then you should have researched flight at one of the two northern TCs). Keep building Ornithopters after that and take out every catapult before it makes it to the bridge. Build 2 churches with the builders and then nothing but wagons. From the start, convert all three elephants. Once you convert one, move it behind (not inside) the tower so you don't damage the other two. "Stand ground" on the tower every turn. Once you have two, send one up the bridge to stop whatever they send at you. With elephants on the bridge, you don't need anything to defend the TC other than one archer. You block out the only attack route and will use the mass of healers you build on the north part of the map to convert all the yellow and blue knights. Keep the healers from the churches near the TC to convert anything that starts down the bridge until you take the whole bridge, then everything constantly is moving toward the blue base (except one archer).

Other general tips:
- Don't kill enemy builders, convert them. They build faster than your builders.
- Build a dock near the second TC from the North and start building transport ships right away. You will need more than one and a bunch of healers in wagons (and knights in wagons) to take the island in the northwest. You will never need to build a catapult, but converting the one(s) on the island is helpful. Three healers in a wagon in a transport ship can sit right outside the catapult range until he comes out of a building, having a transporter in a transporter gets you close enough to have three chances to convert.
- You don't need any towers. You can even do without the starting one if you can't convert the elephants fast enough to save it.
- No castles, no catapults needed.. by the time you research, build, and transport siege units you are past turn 35.
- I found it helpful to build an archery range and upgrade my starting archers (and the ones yellow sent that I converted) to crossbow archers. Other than that and one dock, build churches.
- Keep plenty of Ornithopters around, mainly to stop catapults but also if an enemy healer gets too close to your elephants sacrifice an ornithopter to keep the enemy from converting.
- You spend very little time defending. This is a attack fast with whatever you have to keep the AI from getting too big type game.
- There is a decent amount of luck involved as far as what the AI builds. If they build lots of churches and siege worships it will probably be harder than if they build barracks and stables. You also have the luck of the conversions. Be prepared to restart the map if the converting isn't working.
- No consumables needed
- If the AI ever get smart enough to not stop when their health is yellow, we are all screwed :)

Good luck!
nadassassin

Post by nadassassin »

ttim42 wrote:This map IS winnable in under 35 turns. I beat it yesterday. Here are the details:

Good luck!
Thanks for the pointers, I'll try them out. It bothers me to not have all 4 stars on all the maps.
tamtam12345

Post by tamtam12345 »

I did it today!!!!!
I got 3 stars in this map after tried many many times......
I won in turn 34 but it said I won in 29 :P
https://postimg.org/gallery/23j3p5cpi/
tamtam12345

Post by tamtam12345 »

I won this map once again. I found that map is much easier than before if we use one laborer to build palisades to block knights. :lol:
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Well, that's very convenient! :)
OLÉ
Kalistra

Post by Kalistra »

I love this map and i just have to smash it every couple weeks, heres my method; escape with your upper group basically clockwise, blocking w/swordsmen and picking at horseman with arrows until each is yellow. You can disable the group and get away with all 5 archers and 1 swordsman by the time you reach the safety path south. Meanwhile the town builds healer/persuasion/worker/archer/3 more workers/ballistics/area damage/centurion/flight/tie fighter+++. You can usually turn all 3 elephants in a few tries before the archers return, build advancements center and time it to research gunpowder right at the same turn ballistics finishes. Begin on the castle in the left top corner of your area, get it done fast and use your archer and tower to pick off only ranged threats to the castle. If all goes well, around turn 24 you will have only 2 ways in defended by 3 fully healed elephants backed by 6 archers. From here you should use the healer to take horseman and pull them back to build your invasion force for the east. Get a couple towers up, then a catapult and a treb or two and do what you do! I have modified recently to build healer bldg first to upgrade the healer, knock it down and build advancement center and just deal with having to wait longer for cannons. Lotsa fun, good one deptusi! Hope this helps strategizers!😉
Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak. If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. -Sun Tzu's Art of War
Kalistra

Post by Kalistra »

Ok you guys are right it is possible, wow. Its still fun the hard way tho too! In fact it inspired one of my favorite maps i made, the hardest version possible. A 50x50 map, 3 tcs for you and like 40 plus 2 castles for them, lol. Usually takes 70 turns or so but i love it!
Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak. If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. -Sun Tzu's Art of War

Return to “Campaign map discussions”