Blind longbow men.

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
phoenixffyrnig

Blind longbow men.

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Not quite sure if this belongs here or elsewhere...

Problem is, after upgrades at blacksmith, both longbow men and master slingers have a range that is greater than their sight.

A good general will sometimes find use for missile units to probe enemy lines, or as a vanguard, but this general sometimes finds his strategic brilliance nullified by the fact my brave vanguard are in a situation where they know they can hurt someone, but they just can't see who.

Obviously giving longbows a sight range of 9 would not quite balance in early game (is it an archer, is it a scout...) but is it possible to scale line of sight with the archery upgrades for missile units? (I cannot confirm that these are the only two missile units affected, but I can tell you I like brandy).

PS - if anyone is capable of at least ten turns per day, please reply here, and I will arrange a dance for us :)
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
Endru1241

Re: Blind longbow men.

Post by Endru1241 »

There is +sight research in my too list.
Other than that - units with range longer than sight are perfectly usable along with scouting.
It's actually the other way arround - I was thinking of decreasing siege machines and maybe some archers sight to make scouts be more needed.
Age of Strategy design leader
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Yes, I see what you're saying, that would work for me. I hardly use scouts, because there is often no need after the early game, but if they became more necessary then it introduces even more levels of strategy, which is after all, what this game is about.

You have changed my mind Endru, increasing LoS would make it easier, we don't want that! I agree with a reduction.

On the subject of LoS, is it affected by terrain? If, say, forests reduced sight, and mountains and buildings hid what was behind them, it could allow for ambushes from blind spots.
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

i think it might b possible, in aoww terrains can effect defense, may b in forest, sight will decrease by 1
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I think that can only change the sight if the unit on top of it. Not sight going through it.
OLÉ
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

So standing on plains, a unit can see everything beyond the forests and mountains? :lol: if its just -1 sight it won't b too big disadvantage for archers in forest, may b also give +1 p.armor? That would make it interest, explanation is its easier to take cover against arrows behind trees
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools

Return to “Unit balancing”