Starwars version: Question - will this continue?

Things that did not fit to the other parts
Alpha

Starwars version: Question - will this continue?

Post by Alpha »

Will this still be continued between us as friends and what not?
Epic Gamer Moment!
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Question - will this continue?

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Pussinboots drives the alternative - but a recently have not seen him.
so dunno.

try contacting him asking about future.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

It shall be a friend circle project. You're authorized to have a copy. No outsiders allowed, maybe?

EDIT: Because I know I'm not gonna get licensed by the notorious EA, and it's not illegal unless publicly distributed.
OLÉ
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

Right. In other words "its only against the law if they find out."
A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I mean the Drama Club did a play that went against the copyright laws of Alien(it was a good watch for a school play even Ripley Scott approved), and nobody sued even though the club profited. I guess it's okay then if the project's small scaled, nonprofitting, nor publicly distributed. Therefore, no illegal activity ;)
OLÉ
ethanking5

Post by ethanking5 »

Did we ever get the license for this game?
Embrace the darkness
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

It's not a profit project, we don't need one.
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

actually non profit project also not allowed to use any of these materials.
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Well, it is a mod.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

whatever we call it :)
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

I'm pretty sure it's allowed as long as it isn't published on Google Play or some other store. A gigantic array of minecraft modders make themed mods and they don't get sued.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

that they dont get sued does not mean they are legal.
no, no any form you can use any of their trademarked things.

read about it.
ethanking5

Post by ethanking5 »

so that means it wont continue?
Embrace the darkness
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

we can make it but we will need to gather grant before publish to Google play, until than we can plaground on it by ourselves :) (we can risk it if it dont gets published widely)
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I like to think of it as a made at home game. One that is created locally and exists nowhere in the market, but still uses elements that are trademarked. We are not really stealing (besides the title and theme) because we are not using images directly from any other artist, but originals instead.
OLÉ
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

:)

but we are stealing lol , if we use "AT-AT" as a name that is already not legal. same tru for all images that "remembers" anyone to eg. a Tie Fighter :)
but yes ,as you do it for yourself and a few forumer friends than no problem imho.
IRONBLASTER36

Post by IRONBLASTER36 »

Well I found this on their website.
Screenshot_2019-10-02-17-06-14-480.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-10-02-17-06-14-480.jpeg (179.1 KiB) Viewed 3846 times
Refer to the 1st mail.

We can send them a mail seeking their permissions but I guess probably they'll ask for money and/or commission of our earning of this game. Well if they do ask for commission we'll need to decide the percentage and who owns the right to publish and all that matter. We'll need to make legal documents for both of the options. You can also convince them to invest, we'll use that funds for advertising our game (focusing on sws but well we can put our advertise for other games inside sws ;) )
I checked our units (latest ones) do not copy their ones. Except I guess planes, they closely resemble to star wars planes. But I personally think if we had permissions to use StarWars characters, we would get lots of downloads. Before sending the email we should discuss our demands and our offerings (they're no charitable organizations to give permissions for free).
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

yes, someone needs to commmunicate it with them - that is the task to do to get it legal.
(i can not again - i spent a few days wihout success, but maybe i have found wrong forums to address)

at first we can ask for a nonprofit version, maybe that is cheaper to use or free - but i doubt it would be free.
IRONBLASTER36

Post by IRONBLASTER36 »

Well can you seek for a "cheap" lawyer over there who knows about copyright, that lawyer will draft a proper official request (well I too dunno that legal terms they use). If you find that lawyer, get some information about copyrights and post it over here. A lawyer would be a best person who can approach them, our mails may sound unprofessional and they may consider it as a joke/troll/etc. and not take it seriously. Well if you've sent mails to them before, can I view them and their reply too. (my dad's a small scale investor and works as a financial consultant for big firms, he also knows a lot in the law field, though he doesn't have any degree in that field, he also has a team of lawyers, who finalize the draft. I've read some of his letters, agreements,etc. Maybe I can give at least some tips)
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I can not sorry, i see it a dead end or at least a too time consuming thing to get, BUT anyone is WARMLY welcome to find a way to get that :)

I have not found in my emails, maybe on this forum i have posted somewhere their answers(as i remember), if not, it needs to be started from the beginning.
IRONBLASTER36

Post by IRONBLASTER36 »

Do you know any member on this forum, who is a student of law, lawyer,etc. Can you search their profile, if they have put it up on that I'll PM that user. I'll try drafting one with help of maybe my father (well it's hard to say, I'm on bad terms with him, maybe take some indirect hints from him) I'll draft one by sat or sun. And maybe I won't be that active from sept. 9 to 24, I've got my exams. After that I'll be fully active again. Will try to help as much as I can before that. And will do the remaining after that. Another note, please do not allow further download of SWS, it can be leaked and we can face legal problems. Keep the circle closed until we get the license.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok!
i dont fear for leaking, so if new users come i will still direct him to pussinboots to let them download and play - until we are onyl this few, no problem.
IRONBLASTER36

Post by IRONBLASTER36 »

well, I'd few words with my dad and one of his lawyer sitting in his office. I showed him the EA games made on it. He checked the budgets and some info about the company. Well he said they may start from a million or more. If you even see the EA games budget on these series, is one of the most expensive one. Well he was right, they obviously are not gonna give it away for free. Well we can't even pay that much money, well if you can 8 then we are good to go! Well if not maybe, investment and commission is the only way we can get that rights. And if it's investment, I personally suggest you to not sell your company (or whatever it's called, it's zerotouchsystems if I'm not wrong), rather just give them shares in SWS game only. Well he also said that you'll have to write something about yourself, they're not gonna give their copyright permissions to anyone. And maybe give them some short info on your previous games. I.e. Aos, Aoww, Aof and also give detail info on the idea of this game. Well if we commission, we'll have to focus on maximum commercialization of the game. Since we'll have a contract and most companies don't like to share loss. Maybe with the investment you'll have to hire some professionals, you'll also get a timeline for publishing it (they are serious companies who aim for profit). Well they will also check your background, how much you have been earning, etc. Well they'll also check if you have enough funds to support this projects and they'll invest as an add-on ( in this scenario only you'll get them as co-producers). Well if you've no money, they'll totally own the project by investing. Worse few companies steal ideas like this and make them from other developers with their complete ownership. So they won't lose any percent of their income.
I think we'll have to scrap this idea for publishing, but rather keep it for our closed group.
Note:they can also have copyright strike on our this version (even though it's not published) and claim that this game could have caused them a loss of "x" money. And you'll have to pay that. And this "x" can be any number they feel (eg: million,billion,etc.). And even to reduce this compensation you'll need some top class lawyer, if not law firm. And disney (which owns lucasfilm) has their budget on expensive law firms too, at they end of the day, they are a multi-billion company. We'll be in a bad position if we continue to keep this game open and they found that out. Even the name uses a trademark.Let's work on other variants. Well you would be the person, who would be in most trouble, second the one who had that idea, third design leader, fourth all users who created such units, fifth all players/users who played/used this game (players can somehow escape, but others won't).
Advice: I've played the game, their are very few units which closely resemble to star wars characters. (well they're planes). And the urgent thing to do is change the name of the game to something else. Well why not mix this with age of galaxy? Well I'll send you the names of units which may resemble to star wars characters by this Sunday (or maybe before).
I'm really sorry for this bad news!
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

no, dont compare to EA! :)

they surely sell these cheaper too - think of star wars pencil, you can not ask for high fee showing starwars image on a pencil.

so i am confident if they ever give grant that will not be that much - about $100-$500 or something i dont think would be more. (maybe it would be connected to the income - but if we make it a totally free one than that will not count)

so i encurage any volunteers to try to get the permission - or the find the way to do (emailings, everything) .

i am not that pessimist about making the game for ourselves, as it is not published, but only sent personally to "friends", it is ok imho - i am not a lawyer tough :)
IRONBLASTER36

Post by IRONBLASTER36 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:04 pm no, dont compare to EA! :)

they surely sell these cheaper too - think of star wars pencil, you can not ask for high fee showing starwars image on a pencil.

so i am confident if they ever give grant that will not be that much - about $100-$500 or something i dont think would be more. (maybe it would be connected to the income - but if we make it a totally free one than that will not count)

so i encurage any volunteers to try to get the permission - or the find the way to do (emailings, everything) .

i am not that pessimist about making the game for ourselves, as it is not published, but only sent personally to "friends", it is ok imho - i am not a lawyer tough :)
Well, maybe they won't ask for that high amount. We need to ask them about a whole pack of things, eg:what all will we need like, fighters, luke, star wars rebel characters, etc. We need to specify them. Well they won't ask for millions. They may ask for income, if it's not free. Well it pencils acts like a promotion and they have part of their income or may have sold them at higher price.
Well at the end of the I'm no Jedi neither Vader, I can't read minds. Well I doubt it would be free (but why not keep some hope, maybe we can :D ) they can ask for any amount of money, it's in their hand (hope they ask less). Well thinking from their perspective, this will only work as promotion (of no part of income is given if it commercial). But I've not seen, them give any rights to places, where they get no income. And 100-200 or 10000$ are not gonna make any difference to them. But the only point we can convince is for star wars promotion. They may listen to this.
May the force be with us!
IRONBLASTER36

Post by IRONBLASTER36 »

Hey can you send some introduction/theme idea of SWS, eg: your ideas about how you want the game to be. I've started to draft a mail for it. I'll send you what I've written (we can then modify it too) and then you send them with the your official "dev" mail id. (usually personal emails aren't even looked into, since they mostly get some useless, troll, type of mails).
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

@Puss_in_Boots can u help him? thanks!
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Excuse my late timing.

The game is going to be a turn based strategy using organisms, fortifications, vehicles, and space craft from the Star Wars universe. Players will command entire armies of the Galactic Empire and Rebellion to win the battle against their opponents, online and/or AI.
OLÉ
IRONBLASTER36

Post by IRONBLASTER36 »

Puss_in_Boots wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:52 am Excuse my late timing.

The game is going to be a turn based strategy using organisms, fortifications, vehicles, and space craft from the Star Wars universe. Players will command entire armies of the Galactic Empire and Rebellion to win the battle against their opponents, online and/or AI.
Great, but something on more on features. Well I also suggest to give them a demo, they surely will ask for since if the game is bad (surely not ours, we're opposite) it will suffer bad publicity affecting their franchise. The demo should have few star wars units. I suggest we can put our dev version as demo, we'll just need to work on production buildings, add few units, some tutorial and their story campaigns.

We'll go (I mean mail/confront) with full preparedness. And maybe there will be some compensation involved, most companies do not share such things and especially Disney is a known for that, so that matter we'll not share here, we can email for that.

Rest I'll not share here, mail me.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Starwars version: Question - will this continue?

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I would need peoples who want to have starwars version - so i can consider continuing it.
so if u would play it post here and if there is a "mass" of people want it we can consider continuing.

also call your friends from the games to "vote" here for it

Return to “Others”