Adding Indian sub-continental races

IRONBLASTER36

Adding Indian sub-continental races

Post by IRONBLASTER36 »

How about we add, Indian empires like Maurya dynasty, Marathas,etc. They were great warriors (especially Marathas). Note: they are not fantasy character but rather are real historical characters, so please be careful while depicting them. We can add the great Shivaji Maharaj. He was a great warrior and a great leader. You can read their history by surfing. We can even add the Mughal empire.
Endru1241

Re: Adding Indian sub-continental races

Post by Endru1241 »

Age of Strategy doesn't have races (empires) or any other distinction. In this game every player can build every unit (assuming he has upgrade item).
There is only idea of adding races.
If by adding empire You mean adding some specific historical character as unit for map editor - I'd rather not - adding new map editor only units is mainly done for experienced map creators, but in most cases using regular units with name and stats changed in map is better.

If You mean adding units which were used by those empires - give proper unit idea.

I'm gonna just say this: Any units known from Mughal empire aren't good, as it's just too late. AoS concentrates on ancient and medieval times. And Mughal was founded around year 1600. Well, maybe some units commanded by Babur could barely fit.
Marathas is even later, so out as well.

Mayura fits well, but main units known to be used by them (and feared) are war elephants and we already have 3 such units: War Elephants, Elephant Archers and Mahout (I know that to be historically correct all three of them should be joined to be one unit, but there is many cases like that : horse archers and light cavalry, knights and lancers etc. so we are not joining them).
Age of Strategy design leader
IRONBLASTER36

Post by IRONBLASTER36 »

Endru1241 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:21 am Age of Strategy doesn't have races (empires) or any other distinction. In this game every player can build every unit (assuming he has upgrade item).
There is only idea of adding races.
If by adding empire You mean adding some specific historical character as unit for map editor - I'd rather not - adding new map editor only units is mainly done for experienced map creators, but in most cases using regular units with name and stats changed in map is better.

If You mean adding units which were used by those empires - give proper unit idea.

I'm gonna just say this: Any units known from Mughal empire aren't good, as it's just too late. AoS concentrates on ancient and medieval times. And Mughal was founded around year 1600. Well, maybe some units commanded by Babur could barely fit.
Marathas is even later, so out as well.

Mayura fits well, but main units known to be used by them (and feared) are war elephants and we already have 3 such units: War Elephants, Elephant Archers and Mahout (I know that to be historically correct all three of them should be joined to be one unit, but there is many cases like that : horse archers and light cavalry, knights and lancers etc. so we are not joining them).
Maybe we can use them as skins?
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

If skins become a thing it would be great to have some. Indian subcontinent is big territory (almost a half of europe size) which always had quite dense population. I'm sure many interesting unknown to common european (like me) designs were used there. Maybe You'll learn pixel design design to introduce it to the game for many people to see. There are many good guides on the net how to start (2 click and already got one that describes it quite good (https://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Pixel-Artist).
On advice though - better train on 32x32 grid as it's used in the game most of the time.
IRONBLASTER36

Post by IRONBLASTER36 »

Endru1241 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:40 pm If skins become a thing it would be great to have some. Indian subcontinent is big territory (almost a half of europe size) which always had quite dense population. I'm sure many interesting unknown to common european (like me) designs were used there. Maybe You'll learn pixel design design to introduce it to the game for many people to see. There are many good guides on the net how to start (2 click and already got one that describes it quite good (https://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Pixel-Artist).
On advice though - better train on 32x32 grid as it's used in the game most of the time.
Thanks bro I really needed that, any video tutorial for pixly? Anyways, I think we have got to wait till we get confirmation from stratego, about how will he implement skins. Here's the link to it- http://www.ageofstrategy.net/viewtopic. ... ins#p91555
Well maybe we'll have to change some stats of some units I guess. Because few empires,tribes,groups, etc had their specialities. Eg: Marathas brought down the (that time, in the Indian sub-continent) mightiest Mughal by wonderfully using gurilla warfare even though they were largely outnumbered. And Mughals had the mastery of using siege machines, etc. So we'll have to give them some kinda bonus.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

It's actually pretty far in the list, but there is also nations idea - my own view on that is main - cultural or technological groups (nordic, celtic, slavic, roman, steppe, egiptian, middle-eastern, indian, chinese etc.) - maybe even more aggregated, and descending from them receiving main units/techs nations/more precized cultural groups.
Maybe that one would also use Your suggestion.

About video tutorials - sorry, but it's really not my thing. I always prefer texted ones and I don't really know how to evaluate video tutorial.
IRONBLASTER36

Post by IRONBLASTER36 »

Endru1241 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:20 pm It's actually pretty far in the list, but there is also nations idea - my own view on that is main - cultural or technological groups (nordic, celtic, slavic, roman, steppe, egiptian, middle-eastern, indian, chinese etc.) - maybe even more aggregated, and descending from them receiving main units/techs nations/more precized cultural groups.
Maybe that one would also use Your suggestion.

About video tutorials - sorry, but it's really not my thing. I always prefer texted ones and I don't really know how to evaluate video tutorial.
Thanks! Well we've tons of unit, it'll be a bit time consuming to classify but that would look nice and organized! Did stratego say anything about it?

Well I'm glad that you could understand by reading unfortunately I couldn't evaluate it that well, I evaluate faster with some audio-visual reference. I mean any kind of video you know or just came in your feed or something, can you just forward it to me? :)

Well I think these will not fit into the skins one, since if you read all posts on that topic closely, you'll notice he said he doesn't want to change stats of units. But to get that effect I guess we'll have to change some stats and abilities, but we can't hence we will go for making new units.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Engine is ready for nations, as there are already races in AoF and nations in AoW.
We just lack content to make them.
National bonuses could be made by techs - it's doable.
If You have some unique unit ideas, that would need abilities or especially different stats - please post them.
v094517

Post by v094517 »

[Indian] units with images:

Vaidyar (Buffer)
Cost 5, Hp 4, Rng 1, Att 0, Speed 4
Rng 5 Aura Ayurveda field
+2 hp per turn,
+1/1 armour.
Rng 3 Ability
Mruthasanjeevani treatment
+5/5 arm, +5 hp heal. Last 1, CD 4.

Kushan lancer
Frontline Anti light-cavalry + shield knight bonus. Cross between Shield Knight and Anti-Light Lancer. Slow heavy cavalry, high armors with blacksmith upgrade, 4 speed.

Rajput Cavalry
6 turn shock heavy cavalry. Throws Chakram.

Indian Broadsword
3 turn, heavily armored for cost. Good against buildings.

Indian Bamboo Bowman
3 turn, 7 Ranged armored bowman. Low attack.

Kshatriya Steel Bowman
5 turn, 6 Ranged bowman. First strike + Heavy Crossbow/Anti-elephant capabilities.

Indian Armored Skirmisher
Defensive: 2 turn, 3 Speed, 3 range, Higher armor, full counter. Bonuses against irregulars and light cavalry. Role was to protect archers.

Raja (Indian Elephant Leader)
Anti-Heavy Elephant. Has [Indian] specific aura.

Chaitya (Indian Barracks)
Trains [Indian] and [Indic] units.

Ghurhshaal (Indian 3x2 Mega)
Trains [Indian] units, some exclusively.
Attachments
vedic_scholar1 (1).png
vedic_scholar1 (1).png (886 Bytes) Viewed 872 times
guptan_empire_lancer.png
guptan_empire_lancer.png (1.77 KiB) Viewed 872 times
indian_infantry.png
indian_infantry.png (1014 Bytes) Viewed 872 times
indian_cane_bow.png
indian_cane_bow.png (1.25 KiB) Viewed 872 times
indian_steel_bow3.png
indian_steel_bow3.png (1.51 KiB) Viewed 872 times
indian_barracks.png
indian_barracks.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 872 times
indian_armored_skirmisher.png
indian_armored_skirmisher.png (1.09 KiB) Viewed 872 times
elephant_leader.png
elephant_leader.png (2.51 KiB) Viewed 872 times
3x2indian_mega.png
3x2indian_mega.png (4.57 KiB) Viewed 872 times
rajput_cavalry.png
rajput_cavalry.png (1.8 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Last edited by v094517 on Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
v094517

Post by v094517 »

Additional [Indian] units:

Urumi Blademan
Bonus, + Bonus (-2hp) damage to light armored, ranged, irregulars, shield bearers. Base 1/3 armors, affected by dodges, 4 speed.

Mahout Lancer
Anti-mounted Mahout Elephant.

Dhoni
2 turn light ship, moderate speed, ranged attack, fragile. Also [Indic].

Katturmaram
Cheap Maharlika buildable transport (traditional form was logs tied together without sealant). Better shallows capability. Attack from inside. Also [Indic] (also available to Indochinese, Maritime, maybe Chinese, Japanese).

[Indic] units (trainable in [Indic] 2x2 Mega):

University:
[Indic] 2x2 Mega. Not classified as [Indian]. Trains [Indian], [Indic], and outside culture Auxiliaries. Some, with specific culture, include: Confederation Horse Archer, Saka Foot Archer, Steppe Camel Rider, Light Hoplite, Cuman Horse Archer, Peripatetic Advisor, Camel Archer, etc.

Meitei Cavalry
Mercenary poison anti-cavalry horse skirmisher. High power attack ability. Mentioned in Indochinese topic. Also [Indochinese].

Jong
Great Ship, 5-6 carry cap, attack from inside. Can carry [Light Siege] Especially high mental resistance (boarding resistance). High Hp and armors, slow movement. Shorter range than Carrack/Galleon. Lower chance boarding ability. No or smaller cannon attack ability. 3 actions. Also [Maritime].

Baghlah
Fast boarding ship with ranged swivel gun attack. Swivel gun could also reduce mental resistance aside from conversion possibility, since it was an anti-personnel weapon. Also [Middle Eastern].

Indochinese Leader (Sawbwa)
Mentioned in Indochinese topic. Also [Indochinese].
Attachments
katturmaram.png
katturmaram.png (757 Bytes) Viewed 790 times
academy3.png
academy3.png (2.2 KiB) Viewed 863 times
indochinese_leader.png
indochinese_leader.png (2.19 KiB) Viewed 872 times
indochinese_leader_ranged.png
indochinese_leader_ranged.png (2.28 KiB) Viewed 872 times
meitei_cavalry.png
meitei_cavalry.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 872 times
jong4.png
jong4.png (1.56 KiB) Viewed 872 times
baghlah_dhow.png
baghlah_dhow.png (1.18 KiB) Viewed 872 times
urumi_blademan3.png
urumi_blademan3.png (1 KiB) Viewed 872 times
dhoni2 (1).png
dhoni2 (1).png (1006 Bytes) Viewed 872 times
unit_mahout_lancer.png
unit_mahout_lancer.png (1.37 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Last edited by v094517 on Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Marine25

Post by Marine25 »

It is great to have this kind of races @v094517 is doing great he almost created 3 races.
v094517

Post by v094517 »

Thanks for the support. Some images + ideas were found on forum or otherwise created by others. Especially the core Chinese units were created by Skyyyy on discord.

There is also an idea to have exclusive blacksmith techs for Indian units (e.g. "tier 3" techs without increasing range)

Kattumaram Upgrade (Call in Sampan?)

Kattumaram Upgrade improves pierce armor, Hp. Builders, categories same as Kattumaram.

Poison Spitter
Attachments
Primitive Poison spitter Archer.png
Primitive Poison spitter Archer.png (1.46 KiB) Viewed 629 times
kattumaram_upgrade.png
kattumaram_upgrade.png (863 Bytes) Viewed 769 times

Return to “Unit - melee infantry”