minimum range for siege units IMPLEMENTED

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.

Moderator: Endru1241

godOfKings

minimum range for siege units IMPLEMENTED

Post by godOfKings » Mon May 27, 2019 9:32 am

@Stratego (dev) @COOLguy

Since the minimum range feature is implemented I want to discuss here which siege units will have min range increased

My suggestion:
Catapult, cannon, trebuchets will have min range of 3, that way except cannon (as cannon have 2 speed) if a melee unit reaches siege unit, then on siege unit turn it moves one space away, the melee unit will b at range 2 and can't b atked by escaping siege unit

Thus if a cavalry reaches catapult or trebuchet, they cannot atk back so there is no choice but to guard siege unit with pikeman, but cannon moves 2 space away so can atk back at cavalry

Among siege ships i think only catapult ship should have minimum range of 2

Also important note: currently I think none of the siege have json yet so that's a load of work remaining
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools

makazuwr32

Re: minimum range for siege units

Post by makazuwr32 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:19 am

I suggest also add minimal range 2 for archer units. So they can't attack in melee and need to fall back if enemy attacks in melee them.
makazuwr32 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 am
Please when you ask to change something argument why do you want that change. ...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on. Some real info why it must be done.
© by Makazuwr32™.

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings » Mon May 27, 2019 10:39 am

OK, that will give axe throwers an advantage over archers I guess
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) » Mon May 27, 2019 1:17 pm

Catapult, cannon, trebuchets will have min range of 3, that way except cannon (as cannon have 2 speed) if a melee unit reaches siege unit, then on siege unit turn it moves one space away, the melee unit will b at range 2 and can't b atked by escaping siege unit
sounds good to me but Coolguy will say a word.
Among siege ships i think only catapult ship should have minimum range of 2
goood for me, but wait coolguy
I suggest also add minimal range 2 for archer units.
i do not really support it, i will check how AOE worked - same will be on AOF, the idea was good on first glance but i have to check the "BIG" games that were ancestors (lol) of AOS and if they have not have minimal range on archers than i would need to convince myself starting archer in that direction :)

makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:20 pm

In AoF i and alex are planning this change already anyway.
But this will apply only in aof to units with bow/crossbow and arrows. Any other non-siege ranged units won't have limitations for minimal range.
makazuwr32 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 am
Please when you ask to change something argument why do you want that change. ...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on. Some real info why it must be done.
© by Makazuwr32™.

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) » Mon May 27, 2019 3:35 pm

i am discussing that with alexander already, basic rule in me is: sticking to AOK/AOE approaches/mechanics, those were awesomely set resulting awesome gameplay

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings » Mon May 27, 2019 6:25 pm

OK I m not serious about nerfing archer, but for siege I already mentioned cool guy in top post so hopefully he will respond soon

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy » Thu May 30, 2019 12:03 am

godOfKings wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:25 pm
OK I m not serious about nerfing archer, but for siege I already mentioned cool guy in top post so hopefully he will respond soon
"Catapult, cannon, trebuchets will have min range of 3" Yes I think this is a good start. We can see how much this affects balance and the campaign maps before moving to suggest any other changes.

This is a big change, so we should be careful in making it
Thanks!
Josh

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) » Thu May 30, 2019 6:09 am

good!

so i have changed these to min.range=3:
catapult
heavy catapult
cannoneer
cannon ship
trebuchet
catapult ship*

my only concern is catapult ship as it only has range 6 and making it minimal range 3 seems not so good, what about this be min.range 2 only?
(i put for it min.range=2 until your response)

Return to “Unit balancing”