Balancing: wolf rider

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Balancing: wolf rider

Post by Stratego (dev) »

actually, fireball shouldn't be a tech vecause that is the omly way to defeat an orc cavalry unit (I forgot name).
here i totally disagree:
- using slowing effect and any ranged units after
- using disarmor spell and killing with any kind of units
- using sacrifice killer spell
- using poisoning
- converting it
- using pikeman or similar anti cavalry units best combining with a spell like slowing.
- using ornithopter or eagle
- any buff on him is removed by disenchant.
there is maps in a campaign which is based on the fireball spell.
in any campaign there can be set any tect to be available or not (as far as i can remember ;))
max-damage

Re: Initial techs for all races

Post by max-damage »

Besides which, a spell/effect/ability being a tech doesn't mean it's unattainable or has to be unlocked with gems...it just means it has to be researched in a given match...like "persuasion" in AoS....
It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder if you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
balint

Post by balint »

okay. The disarmor is useleless, slowing don't works when there are more of them then your mages, only lich van convert,
anti-cavalry->they are quite useless. when it reach rhem, it kills in one hit.
This is Hungary and winter is coming.
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

balint wrote:okay. The disarmor is useleless, slowing don't works when there are more of them then your mages, only lich van convert,
It/them what? Specifically...
It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder if you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

balint wrote:okay. The disarmor is useleless, slowing don't works when there are more of them then your mages, only lich van convert,
disarmor is truly not so ggod, i ment to write "fear"

ok, i we should try them in a hotseat
(
- 5 wolfrider against 10 pikeman
- 5 wolfrider against 3 druid and 5 elf archer
- new idea: 5 wolfrider against 2 mage and 1 warelephant (lifelinking the elephant)
- and so on
)
Anyone mind to try one of these?

Do u have specific suggestion how to change the wolf rider?
balint

Post by balint »

I try our
balint

Post by balint »

max-damage wrote:
It/them what? Specifically...
it stands for the wolf rider and them for the anti-cavalry units.
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

That's what the dev version are for...to iron out the wrinkles before General release...it's the BETA version...
ollie444

Post by ollie444 »

Wolf rider kills halberdier one-hit, no buffs.

This should definitely be changed, as wolf riders cost 4 turns to make I think.
They are way too op
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

Do they only kill halberdiers in one hit or any unit? If it's only halberdiers, it's probably just a problem with the damage bonus...otherwise they might need to be completely rethought...they're supposed to be powerful, not invincible...
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i tested 5 wolfrider against 10 pikeman, pikes won...

(one hit: a knight can also kill a pike with 1 hit: it needs only a +1 upgrade on attack, a wolf rider is reasonable to be stronger than a single knight, so it is ok being able to kill a pike with one hit by default.)
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:i tested 5 wolfrider against 10 pikeman, pikes won...

(one hit: a knight can also kill a pike with 1 hit: it needs only a +1 upgrade on attack, a wolf rider is reasonable to be stronger than a single knight, so it is ok being able to kill a pike with one hit by default.)
But a knight gets injured if it attacks a halberdier, often severely, especially if the halberdier has any bonuses on its attack, like sword mastery...i use that a lot for that very reason...
ollie444

Post by ollie444 »

But halberdiers should be stronger, right?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

"But a knight gets injured if it attacks a halberdier"
- sure since knight has 10 attack and halberdier hp is 13 (pike is 11)
- but if the heavy knight (we need to talk about heavy knight if you have halberdiers) has the same +1 attack as my sample above (from a sword mastery tech) than halberdier will die from 1 hit by the heavy knight (orcs ar tougher, so i thought a wolf rider can be harder by default as a heavy knight).

But ok, we can change it but neither of you gave any suggestions on how to change the stats, please give suggestions.

and also i mentioned this: "i tested 5 wolfrider against 10 pikeman, pikes won..." that seemed they can be killed with the same "turn cost".

i also open a balancing topic for it because this discussion is not good here.
max-damage

Re: Balancing: wolf rider

Post by max-damage »

Okay, I'll comment in the other thread...

Uh...where is it? :P
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

here it is :)
ok, i change wolf down to 12 power, lets try it.
(also came into my mind that wolfs can only be trained in TC-s, that is drawback too, since pikes/halberdiers in barracks too)
(and if the wolf rider has only 12 power that is the same as the orc warrior has, seems weird now - isn't it?)
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

Why not make the orc warrior's attack 11-that's still higher than a human swordsman, and orcs can develop sword mastery, can't they? The thing is, the stats for human units are adapted from AoS, right? Those stats were designed for human vs.human battles, and you'll rarely, if ever, have human vs.human battles in AoF...so maybe all the stars need to be rethought for the humans in AoF...
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Why not make the orc warrior's attack 11-that's still higher than a human swordsman
ok, considerable
and orcs can develop sword mastery, can't they?
no they dont - but some other power booster can be but not the sames, and not so much (as the "itinier" said)
The thing is, the stats for human units are adapted from AoS, right? Those stats were designed for human vs.human battles, and you'll rarely, if ever, have human vs.human battles in AoF...so maybe all the stars need to be rethought for the humans in AoF...
no, the AOS units are well balanced (mostly) so new races must be balanced to the humans, if a race is more powerful (like orcs) they must be stronger), if weaker (like elves, or hobbits) must be weaker. Human race change will only be the new mages and such new spellcasters.
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

Right, i think i get what you mean...I'm just trying to offer a little perspective on the unit-stat-balance point...if no-one says anything it's hard to come up with viable solutions...and no-one else seems to be offering much input...

As far as the orc power booster thing goes, orcs aren't known for being terribly bright or prone to learning-their troops mostly rely on huge numbers and brute force, so they would only need a single level of power boost, if any...would you agree?
ollie444

Post by ollie444 »

Why can't you just do like a -50% on a wolf-rider's attack on pikemen? Is it possible...?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

not seems a good way: the pikeman have no bigger armor against melee attacks than others so it would be weird i think.

Return to “Archived - Orcish Units, Buildings”