Attack/fight/move animation ideas

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.

Moderator: Endru1241

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Attack/fight/move animation ideas

Post by Stratego (dev) » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:02 pm

I have received several requests on fight animations.
Naturally we can not make individual animations for all 300-400 or more units we have.

but here i ask for ideas that needs only one or two type of animations that can work for all units.

my idea is:
close ranged "blade" fights:
- a dust cloud appears and fighting is inside the animating cloud with proper weapon collision effects

long range arrow attacks
- thesehave a fairly good arrow animation - so i think it is almost ok.

godOfKings

Re: Attack/fight animation ideas

Post by godOfKings » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:58 am

How about using the throwing blade idea I made for mameluke but removing the hilt and showing it as more tilted on one side? It would seem like one unit is striking with sword that way,

But I think showing sprite will need a new mechanism for melee, first melee unit moves to enemy unit tile to atk like how currently happens.

And just wen the sword clashing sound is heard, at that EXACT moment, this sprite will also b shown on top of enemy unit who was atked (may b make it like the sprite overlaps the enemy image, at which case I can draw sprite a little far from centre) finally, sprite image should b reflected to face different direction like how ranged sprite is reflected

I actually thought about it b4 and wanted to suggest u but it seems u r already thinking about :D
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools

Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:36 pm

Animations for fighting (such as barrel smoke for cannons) are very cool but impossible with the current art style we have. Yes we can upgrade the sprites (arrows, axe .Etc) for ranged units and even add attack sprites for mele units. Which I totally support. However animations like a sword man over head attack or pikeman jab would just take to long to create as stated before. In general, pixel animation is tough, but if the images were made in a 3D [link below] program and rendered as 2D sprites, we could make the pikeman jab ideas possible. (No joke :lol: ) However when aos was started all we had was pixel art and it's very well done. Another problem to think about is the space such animations would take up, almost double!

Ideas we can implement:
  • One idea I didn't see suggested was giving the sprite animation! Such as a spinning axe or green tipped arrow for the poison archer.
  • Building animations like fire when at low health (like the fire archer), or broken window for the church.
  • Different sound effects for high moral.
Other then editing the sprite, there is really no other way of making animations. I hope this has helped!

3D images as 2D sprites: https://www.forgottenempires.net/age-of ... -a-2d-game
A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:06 pm

i thought of an idea that needs no modification on current sprite. so a universal one that can be "overlayed" on/between the fighting units.

Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:12 pm

something like this but less exagerated
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 0715937370
~Gral.Sturnn

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:08 pm

the most important is the "fog" in my idea (that hides their nonexistant "movement") but yes, from the "fog" such slashes can come out

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:46 pm

this is a sample for a "move" animation here if u can imageine the unit moving and the dust is animation will make it like it would move with its legs.
dust.png
dust.png (46.31 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
and another sample concept of an attack animation
attack.png
attack.png (20.1 KiB) Viewed 1227 times

these are only images but u can imagine the animation

godOfKings

Re: Attack/fight/move animation ideas

Post by godOfKings » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:13 pm

I like attack animation, I imagined something like this, and the animation will b visible at the moment of attacking when player hears the sword clashing sound.

But moving animation I m not sure, there r just not enough soldiers in image to represent such dense cloud, looks like goku riding his floating cloud,

May b if there is a marching sound while moving it could b more appropriate
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:26 pm

godOfKings wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:13 pm
I like attack animation, I imagined something like this, and the animation will b visible at the moment of attacking when player hears the sword clashing sound.
here i found the slash image, here it is for inspiration, i have simply removed the saturation making it grayscaled:
https://hu.pinterest.com/pin/432838214166615868/

if anyone would like to make the animation spritesheet: eg. a 3-4 image animation, than i could impelemnt it for "sword" like units.
naturally we would need different for other weapons like polearms and so on.
But moving animation I m not sure, there r just not enough soldiers in image to represent such dense cloud, looks like goku riding his floating cloud,
May b if there is a marching sound while moving it could b more appropriate
ok, than any other idea how to "hide" the not moving legs?

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:26 pm

The only solution I can think of is animated dust, it will made of both dark and transparent pixels so sometimes legs will b visible and sometimes not, also it will have to give the impression of moving backwards to the direction unit is moving

Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:16 pm

I personally think we should scrap the moving dust idea, regarding the attack animation O think it should be smaller
~Gral.Sturnn

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:45 pm

i am testing the first version of the "move" animations.
i set it to tanks in AOW for testing.
it has this "silly" animation on the wheels while moving, if anyone can polish it or make a good one would be awesome!
Attachments
move_tank_dust_anim.png
move_tank_dust_anim.png (1.63 KiB) Viewed 437 times

Morningwarrior

Post by Morningwarrior » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:51 pm

interesting why you don't do an animation on archery arrows like a white beam indicating speed you know, like in cartoons, like a white drawing behind an arrow you know ... I hope I was specific because I'm terrible in explaining ... anyway and my idea.
GLORY OF JUSTICE,SHINE ON SKY,WIN ALL DARKNESS.

General Brave

Post by General Brave » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:02 am

Certain like the movement and attacking idea, I guess certain things can have that. Mainly the more important ones as it would take a bit.
Wise, Might, Loyalty. Forever stands Warfell.

Return to “Gameplay & UI”