Post by Joddy El Campeador »

Balista loaded to the elephant back
Stats like balista and HP&speed like the elephant
makazuwr32

Re: Elephant Balista

Post by makazuwr32 »

uhm. just no.
also please no multipost.

Remember we don't need fantastic units. for that you can go to AoF.
Here we need historical units only.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
samuelch

Post by samuelch »

Khmer used ballista on elephants.
"In the Southeast Asia, the powerful Khmer Empire had come to regional dominance by the 9th century AD, drawing heavily on the use of war elephants. Uniquely, the Khmer military deployed double cross-bows on the top of their elephants."
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I will look for more scources if this is real one.
Thanks for idea of period.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Could b an upgrade of elephant archer?
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I looked for my scources and i must say that it was their never realised concept.
And even more why it is not historically accurate because ballista was designed in Late Rome time (4th century) when Khmers empire was dead i think for at least a 5 centuries.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
samuelch

Post by samuelch »

It's not a balista. It's just similar to balista. Civilization games have Khmer with Elephant balista as unique units.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Then it must have due to flaws only one action/turn.
And better name.
I agree about upgrade of elephant archer.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Here is my idea, it is upgrade of elephant Archer, it has 2 actions since its 'repeating crossbow', 6 atk, no area damage, 5 range, HP and armour shall b same as basic elephant Archer

Upgrade cost is 6 turns
For six turns u get 1+ atk 1+ action, no extra spell resist, speed or hp

Wat will b name? Khmer elephant crossbowman ? Or Khmer elephant ballista? Or simply elephant ballista or elephant crossbowman?

Description: The Khmer empire used a unique strategy combining war elephants with repeating crossbows to destroy their enemies from above
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

altalt throwers, auxiliary skirmishers and voulgirs should get high bonus against elephant archers, and voulgirs should also get high bonus against elephants in general

makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Gok Variant is fine.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

in case stratego decides this to b upgrade of elephant archer, here is final stat suggestion.

Khmer elephant ballista
(upgrades from elephant archer)

Description: The Khmer empire used a unique strategy combining war elephants with repeating crossbows to destroy their enemies from above

cost of upgrade tech: 6 turns
hp: 120
atk: 6
armor: 1
p.armor:2
speed: 2
range: 5
action: 2
spell resist: 0
gets basic blacksmith upgrades same as elephant archer
summary:
godOfKings wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:39 am Here is my idea, it is upgrade of elephant Archer, it has 2 actions since its 'repeating crossbow', 6 atk, no area damage, 5 range, HP and armour shall b same as basic elephant Archer

Upgrade cost is 6 turns
For six turns u get 1+ atk 1+ action, no extra spell resist, speed or hp
Attachments
elephant ballista2.png
elephant ballista2.png (1.18 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
elephant ballista.png
elephant ballista.png (1.3 KiB) Viewed 4330 times
Last edited by godOfKings on Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

current heavy elephant image
Attachments
64_unit_elephant_archer_h.png
64_unit_elephant_archer_h.png (1.16 KiB) Viewed 4349 times
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Updated previous post with latest image

Morningwarrior

Post by Morningwarrior »

This is very crazy,but is be a good and op unit.
I swore to protect and lead a great order that seeks enlightenment, I was chosen by the great star and I will pour out his fury against anyone who declares himself an enemy!
Morningwarrior

Post by Morningwarrior »

Ok,ok I really thought it was literally an elephant-borne ballista not a crossbow guy
I swore to protect and lead a great order that seeks enlightenment, I was chosen by the great star and I will pour out his fury against anyone who declares himself an enemy!
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Could b a 7 turn stand alone ballista unit with lower damage and range than ballista

HP 120
Armor 1/1
Range 5
Atk 8
Action 2
Power range 1
Power penalty 50%
Pierce damage
Speed 2
Made in siege workshop not archery range
Can b upgraded by heavy ballista tech to have

130 HP
Armor 2/2
Range 5
Atk 10

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Unfortunately Elephant Ballista is a problem in few ways.

Classification:
If it would be treated as siege engine, then it makes it burnable, which doesn't make sense.
If it would be classified close to Elephant Archer then it would have too little weaknesses.

Building training it:
Archery range training unit with splash damage maybe too much.
Siege workshop training alive unit that depends on hp doesn't fit.

Historical correctness:
There is no evidence, that anywhere in the entire world anyone used ballista on elephants.
Khmer empire mounted chinese-like double bed crossbows, but it could be only for transport.
Even if it was used from the back of elephant - it would require sizing down the weapon - thus more similar to crossbow on steroids than real ballista.
Nonetheless it should be named Elephant Siege Crossbow or something like that.

Pure balance:
Even with only 8 power it deals 16 damage on hit and 8 to every adjacent unit on range!
As it completely outclasses elephant archer it should also cost significantly more - 8-9 turns.

Lastly - it would definitely need it's own upgrade - why would ballista upgrade increase hp of leaving mounted unit?
Age of Strategy design leader
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

godOfKings wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:13 am Khmer elephant ballista

cost: 7 turns
hp: 120
atk: 6
armor: 1
p.armor:2
speed: 2
range: 5
action: 2
spell resist: 0
gets basic blacksmith upgrades same as elephant archer
that was simply a suggestion in case players wants to go the ballista route, and the stats can b changed to better balance it with game, and i already gave a crossbow suggestion above too in case the final decision is go with crossbow (plus crossbow version has ready image so can b implemented right now)

made some changes, not an upgrade and cost 7 turns

Lynx Shafir

Post by Lynx Shafir »

TBH I Don't quite like this idea
Aside from the points mentioned above, don't we have enough elephant already?
I know it's typical and all but, hey...

I would support though any foot Indian units what had quite unique weapons too, wide era range to chose. Before more elepans...

Also WB GOK :)
Thy gave me a sword to pierce a lie,
Serrated edge for the deamon inside
A moment I'm torn between two tides,
But all I need, I bear inside
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Its your choice, the game only progresses by the majority vote after all, its not a necessity

Return to “Unit - siege engines / machines”