Alternative - Dune version based on Dune2

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Alternative - Dune version based on Dune2

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I read somewhere that they opened the Dune 2 source and resources so anyone can use it.
If someone have time to look after this, that would be cool since making a dune version would be so easy knowing all (already balanced) unit properties, unit images and having campaign ideas already.

(However making the dune version is still possible if it is not opensource, but we would need new images if we want to be correct.)
patroid

Re: Dune version based on Dune2

Post by patroid »

Hi
I downloaded dune2 in mob.org (search in google , it would be
2, or 3. Post if not search "dune2 mob.org).

And i liked it but its not so good...
I thijk if yes better the gameplay (i hate if you must press move in a rts)
Cause the enemy is coming and you wajt to move your units fast and it take much
(In my opinion to much) time to select press move select spot...

But i started to make a rts in unity today i can try to make it with aos or aof
Units...

Patroid

(Balint is that ok if i make it 2d with aof units (its much easyer))
balint

Post by balint »

Sure!!

Thebgraphic is not important :)

Only the classic rts feeling :)
This is Hungary and winter is coming.
patroid

Post by patroid »

Hi
Would be like rusted warfare.
Search in play store...

Patroid
balint

Post by balint »

brusted warfare is great.
If you can make it, that would be really awesome.
This is Hungary and winter is coming.
Lawrence

Re: Alternative - Dune version based on Dune2

Post by Lawrence »

Too bad rusted warfare is a paid app, and the demo is rubbish :cry:
Random guy: "Lets use goblins."
Me: "GOBLINS? THIS IS LAWRENCIAAAAA!"
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

No actually, you don't have to. Use aptoide...you didn't hear this from me by the way
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

What is aptoid? :D
Random guy: "Lets use goblins."
Me: "GOBLINS? THIS IS LAWRENCIAAAAA!"
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

also some unit informations

http://www.unitstatistics.com/dune2/
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

in 32px
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

How do u intend to add spice and harvesters? I got n idea, spice fields r like unoccupied tc, with 1 carry capacity, harvesters can enter and will b visible like in a bridge, while its inside every turn it 'regenerates' spice points (like HP) and after 5 turns it will b full

A dune game without harvesters to raid and destroy would b boring and unnecessary to make, even aoww has supply depots and materials
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

would be awesome to make this alternative, this was the first strategy game that made me love strategy games - but dont know about the copyright side...
Attachments
siegetank.png
siegetank.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Might b hard to code but if we want to give the real dune experience it is worth it

Wen harvesters enter refineries, sp for harvesters would b empty, (like refinery deals spice damage and heals spice by same amount), refinery should hold 1000 spice and harvesters 100, each turn it heals 20 sp in spicefields, players can build spice silo to increase spice limit by 500, to make it simpler, spice silo can only b built near refineries, and atk refineries to collect spice

These ideas r only because there r already rules for atk and HP, if new code can b written specifically for spice then no need to follow my ideas

BTW sp is spice points
Last edited by godOfKings on Sat May 05, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

I also first fell in love after playing aoe 2 and dune 2000 wen I was a kid, demolishers, sonic tanks, and that converter rocket launcher kind of tank for the greens (sry I forgot the name :lol: )
Last edited by godOfKings on Sat May 05, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

And there is needed new code to calculate total amount of spice owned by a player, sum of all spice holding buildings but not units, credits can b spice multiplied by 10, and cost of units is shown in credits to the average player, a combat tank worth 400 credit is only 40 spice

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

no-no-no.

nothing from mechanic, no spice collecting for credits and so on.

the mechanic is like aof/aos, only the "theme" would be dune2.

only a few mechanic change if necessary.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

then how about this idea, harvesters have 4 carry capacity, wen he captures a spice field, spice field can produce spice as a unit, it will also have 4 carry capacity, the unit spice will b like money couriers, it will b carried by harvesters to different factory buildings to speed up production by 1 turn per spice, spice fields can only carry harvesters and spice, and once captured it will always produce spice until its capacity is full, and player will need to delete one spice to allow harvesters to enter

spice will have 1 speed but it cannot move in deserts, and players will have to drag the spice into harvester similar to how one can drag a unit into wagon wen both r inside a tc or town

spice can only move on concrete terrains and buildings that r on concrete terrains, although it might b weird to see a spice moving around on terrains

its not exactly like refinery but having spice to reduce turn cost of production might at least make it viable strategy to collect

may b we can have a new mechanism like electromagnetic railway, and levitating trains carry spice to different factory buildings, harvesters enters refinery, train stays beside refinery, spice moves into train, and then train carries spice at faster speed to other factory buildings
harvester speed 3
train speed 7 but can only move on tiles with railway
spice speed 1 but can only move on tiles with railway

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Nice idea of money curier spicebag :)
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

What's Dune?
Epic Gamer Moment!
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Really old and intresting real-time strategy game from 1990th on pc.
It will be good to see its ao-version.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

A new mechanism, there won't b any builder but the buildings themselves can b workers, they can construct concrete tiles, railways, towers and other buildings next to them, that is how they expand in original dune, buildings will cost more turns to build but will not require spice
Last edited by godOfKings on Tue May 08, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Units in general should b VERY COSTLY and spice should reduce turn cost by 3 or 4 turns to make spice harvesting a necessity in game, spice is basically natural resources needed to construct, instead of black gold of dune u can sell to earn credits to buy units which was the case for original dune

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

there should b 2 main terrains, hard rock and sand, also a third mountain/crater terrain, infantry can move on mountains vehicles cant

if implementing concrete is difficult then this idea can b abandoned, but railway can still b implemented as a bridge for trains to pass through the 'sea' of hard rocks

most buildings should b 2x2 size i think, while railway, turrets and walls can b 1x1 tile

here is my cost and builder suggestions(considering spice reduces turn cost by 3 turns)

spice-1 turn- spice fields

harvester-12 turns- refinery and vehicle factory

train- 3 turns- refinery

light infantry- 3/5 turns- barracks (artreides and ordos)

heavy trooper-4/8 turns- barracks (harkonnen and ordos)

trike-7 turns- vehicle factory (artreides)

raider-7 turns- vehicle factory (ordos)

quad-10 turns- vehicle factory

combat tank- 12 turns- vehicle factory

rocket tank-14 turns- vehicle factory (artreides and harkonnen)

siege tank- 17 turns- vehicle factory

sonic tank- 17 turns- vehicle factory (artreides)

deviator- 18 turns- vehicle factory (ordos)

devastator-20 turns- vehicle factory (harkonnen)

MCV- 20 turns- vehicle factory

carryall- 20 turns- airport

ornithopter-17 turns- airport (artreides and ordos)

fremen-5 turns- palace (artreides)
saboteur-7 turns- palace (ordos)
death touch (nuclear missile)- 10 turns- palace (harkonnen)

player can start the game with a harvester as a substitute of worker

palace cannot carry spice so turn cost cannot b reduced

saboteur will have stealth, and to make them special there will b no stealth detecting unit in game, however, they will need to transform to non-stealth mode in order to attack their target and have death touch against all units, since they can also destroy tanks (i think)

also tanks should have a special spell using which they can kill infantry in melee range, can b called 'squash' or 'ram over' :lol:
does making it tricky for saboteurs to actually destroy enemy tank as tank can see the enemy after he transforms

spice fields can spawn randomly on sand terrains i think, with higher percentage near the player spawning ground, and their spawning can b controlled like starting tc, with options for few, normal and many spice fields

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

can u make a separate forum for this variant where i can suggest the stats of every units?

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

what about jsoning it instead? do u know how?
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

I know how to read the FAQ and learn, if that counts as knowing :lol:

samuelch

Post by samuelch »

If spices are use to reduce cost like money courier, that won't be AI friendly.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

samuelch wrote:If spices are use to reduce cost like money courier, that won't be AI friendly.
sure, there would need some AI coding to code a go collect, return to base thing.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

godOfKings wrote:I know how to read the FAQ and learn, if that counts as knowing :lol:
cool, what if i send u the modding version and you try making the jsons? i will need your AOW username for it.

Return to “New variant ideas”