Samurai vs hatamoto - IMPLEMENTED

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
Sunrise Samurai

Samurai vs hatamoto - IMPLEMENTED

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

This probably should be in bugs, but I think it might be the subject of some balance discussion.

Samurai are effected by​ blacksmith techs
Hatamoto isn't.

They really need to be on the same page, since samurai is actually more powerful than hatamoto if all blacksmith techs are researched. This means upgrading them actually weakens them.

The balance question is this: should we remove the upgrades from samurai, or give them to hatamoto?

My vote is to give the upgrades, though I'm one of the people who thinks blacksmith techs should impact everything.
The glorious sun rises again
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Re: Samurai vs hatamoto

Post by DoomCarrot »

Lol, yes, I noticed this too. On the wiki page for them, I said something along the lines of "The Hatamoto's armour and weapons are so well crafted that it is beyond a blacksmith's ability to improve them" :lol:
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Sunrise Samurai

Actually, maybe we should start making blacksmith techs for individual nation's. For example, carbon steel levels 1 and 2 for Japanese melee. Interlocking shields as Roman​ armor upgrades, etc.
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

I heard somewhere that hatamoto was already good enough, so they don't need upgrades like that. (Honestly they will be scary with upgrades) :lol:
Currently exploring the wonder of dimension.
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Nope, actually they wouldnt. That would just encourage players researching sword mastery faster than archery!
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.
Sunrise Samurai

True that. It might encourage working on melee instead of ranged. Ive been told adding national techs just makes too many​ techs, so I'd say to give them the blacksmith techs.
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

Well, maybe since the cost increased they didn't get used as much now. When hatamoto first release i am staying with him because of the values (strong double attacks? why not). :lol:
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

hatamoto is still pretty good, with or without upgrades.

Infantry with 4 move? That essentially means you will ALWAYS get first strike against other melee units, which is pretty huge. Also, they do a better job at keeping up with centurions, so they are a nice bonding strategy.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Sunrise Samurai

Be grateful it doesn't benefit from drummer......5 move infantry. Scary
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

I think the solution might be to have the samurai with no upgrades.

We cannot have where it has upgrades and the same unit does not
Thanks!
Josh
Sunrise Samurai

COOLguy wrote:I think the solution might be to have the samurai with no upgrades.

We cannot have where it has upgrades and the same unit does not
One or the other. I'd even​ understand if hatamoto got upgrades​ and samurai didn't lol but it's not good for the lesser form to be stronger
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

How about hatamoto has 10 atk and 0/0 or 1/1 armour and it can have blacksmith upgrades, after all the main upgrade for samurai is the +1 speed
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

Several choices :
- Let the hatamoto got only the 1st infantry tech
(Samurai still has both tech).
- Let the Samurai got only the 1st tech (Hatamoto
had no tech).
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

But see that is so confusing imo, especially to new players. Having only one tech benefit them is just as bizarre as the current situation.
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

Well, then what will be the solution? :/
Edit : it is both armor & power for both choices, besides Hatamoto is just fine with one tech level / none (samurai on other hand might need two level, but maybe it can get one tech level only?).
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

How about this, samurai has 8 attack while hatamoto has 9 attack, and they both get black smith upgrades
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Sunrise Samurai

I think I like that idea
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Yes for a 3 turn unit, 16 damage is more than enough for samurai and they have bonus against infantry too

LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

I agree! This balance should be in
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

I agree hatamoto should just be nerfed and given upgrades.
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

+1
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Please decide what the property changes should be, so we can put them in the game.
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

It seems 9 attack for hatamoto?
Sunrise Samurai

COOLguy wrote:Please decide what the property changes should be, so we can put them in the game.
Drop hatamoto to 9 power, but it gets the blacksmith techs in exchange. This seems to be the most balanced way to do it, and rewards development as a game progresses.
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Agreed
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

To summarize more clearly
Samurai atk 8
Hatamoto atk9
Hatamoto armour could b 1/1 but everyone else should agree first on this b4 being implemented ( or should it be 1/0 so that the only things increased r atk, hp and most imprtantly speed?)
Full blacksmith upgrades would then give hatamoto
atk 11,
Armour 3/3 or 3/2 (depending on whichever seems more balanced)

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Are the stats implemented yet? Personally I like the second version of armour more ( with less pierce armour )

Return to “Unit balancing”