Catapults - the true army melter

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
lordfernand

Catapults - the true army melter

Post by lordfernand »

Shouldnt the catapults get inside the wagon. (they're too big, aren they?) and what about such damage? kill 5 soldier in a single hit (w area damage) and 7 range?!
It should hit only imobile things, cause if not, why do we have ballistas?
*Sorry my english* :D
Disco

Re: Catapults - the true army melter

Post by Disco »

Although I do understand what your saying...catapults are easily countered, an have literally no HP's. They are also expensive (build time).

I do agree it is a little strange that they fit in wagons, but they do need to be transported around on larger maps.

Maybe they could be "packed" for travel (movement of 4), and "unpacked" for firing (takes a turn to pack & unpack)? Whilst unpacked movement is 1.
duneix

Post by duneix »

Or maybe only one catapult per wagon, as it takes much more place than any other unit?
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

Could there possibly be an "attack ground" option like in age of empires? The purpose would be to dictate a space to shoot in the middle of or near to enemies to allow the area damage to hit them. Sometimes the best space to shoot doesn't have anything in it to hit.
The glorious sun rises again
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

That would be interesteing sunrise, but it might make catapults a little overpowered. Currently, smart troop placement is the best counter to catapults, but that would make it nearly impossible to position troops effectively against them.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Sunrise Samurai

Perhaps. This being said, it makes sense that you don't​ need to aim a weapon known for inaccuracy and mass destruction exactly at it's target to do serious damage.

Besides, I'm hoping sooner or later catapults will be banned from wagons. That should help restore the balance a bit.
Fildin

Post by Fildin »

I think catapults should do freindly fire if, they have area damage upgrade or if they miss and shoot friendly unit.
Sunrise Samurai

You know, I actually agree with you. That would make people think twice about shooting near their own troops. Unfortunately, that makes the area damage tech a double edged sword, that might be avoided just to prevent friendly fire.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Come on,no one will resing for using catapults,even if they can hurt some meaning less soliders in front line :lol:. You can just retreat them when you want to shoot catapult,bigger problem will be if you actully cant.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Agreed
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.
Fildin

Post by Fildin »

It will make catapults less mindless :D

Return to “Unit balancing”