Aimed Shot - IMPLEMENTED

Alexander82

Aimed Shot - IMPLEMENTED

Post by Alexander82 »

Aimed shot
Requires level 3 archery
Cost: 6 at archery range
Effect: Elven archer (only the basic one) gain the Aimed shot skill: When using aimed shot the archer gains a +5 to damage and -4 to speed for the next turn (it basically sacrifice one turn action and the next turn movement to deal increased damage).
Age of Fantasy design leader
Sunrise Samurai

Re: Aimed Shot

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

I think I suggested something similar a long time ago for it. I assume you mean -4 to speed, not +4 lol.

Unfortunately I don't think this in current form is enough to help it. After +3 from blacksmith techs, it just doesn't give much in comparison to quick archers​ still, especially when it costs an action in one turn, making it merely good in an ambush

My suggestion
+5 power
+2 range
-2 speed

The extra range is the biggest change, allowing it to act as a sniper. The speed reduction at -2 means it can really only shoot where it would have been able to shoot​ before, just without having to move as close.
The glorious sun rises again
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I think my proposal is more balanced for 2 main reasons:

1) archer costs 50% less than quick archer and then it is normal than it is worse than quick archers
2) Having +5 damage means dealing real dmage to highly armored enemies that is much more than a double 1 damage dealt by a quick archer, in fact against armored enemies this is far better than a quick archer.

This way the quick archer will be mainly for attack and the archer will remain better to defend against heavy units (if you use it to defend the -4 to movement is not a big deal). Also for a defensive unit is less important to attack every turn but might be more important being more effective when you do it.

The archer already has +1 damage compared to the quick archer so this way can overcome enemy armor dealing +6 damage compared to a single shot of the quick archer (a quick archer in 2 turns deal 4*1 damages to heavy armors and a single 6 damage from a unit that cost 50% less is still a great advantage)
Sunrise Samurai

Gotcha. I wasn't factoring in the use against armor. That helps a bit.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I think this is a lot of help since you can have 2 archers against 2 quick archers going from an average of 18 damage vs 8 every 2 turns (3x6 for archers vs 8x1 for quick archers).
That makes them incredibly more effective against armored units (the best ratio is obtaines at 7 p.armor since quick archers still deal 1 damage per attack and normal archers would deal 7 instead) without considering the +1 range.

With a p.armor lower than 7 quick archer gain some edge becoming better than a archer against units with 5 p.armor or lower (without considering the cost. Considering the cost that happens at armor 3, which is pretty common)
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I also forgot to consider that both units share the same hp amount so when you basically loose 2 attacks with the dead of a quick archer out of 2 you still have 2 attacks out of 3 when loosing a archer.
Sunrise Samurai

I think I can see a good bit of use here. The big thing is a readied volley for approaching elite units, once they get in range. This makes regular elf archers​ into effective defensive ambushers.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Exactly, and they are also cheap.
Sunrise Samurai

Had another thought here. Make this a transform skill. Transformed, the speed is 0, and it has an ability to deal a flat 10 damage in range 6. This uses the improved aim to find the weak points in armor, completely bypassing it, but doesn't make it much more useful against unarmored targets. Maybe a small power increase, but the added range from techs will mean it is still shooting regular at higher ranges.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I'd stick with the original idea. I don't like much that "siege mode" since it should be an action where you actually spend a turn aiming.
Sunrise Samurai

Re: Aimed Shot - FINALIZED

I can understand that. I was trying to think how to use it to beat armored without​ overpowering cheaper things so easily. Having looked at the JSONs a bit more, I think I remember seeing a line for ignores armor? Not sure, can't find it again now. Is there a way to make the enchantment cause the archer to ignore armor instead of raising attack? That would fit for better aim, hitting in weak spots in the armor, rather than explaining how better aim causes an arrow to strike with more force.

If not, I guess back to the original idea.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

No, there are no ignore armor effects
Sunrise Samurai

Probably something I read in one of the spells or something. Oh well. Back to the original idea then. Still a good way to make elf archers useful.
Alexander82

Re: Aimed Shot - ACCEPTED

Post by Alexander82 »

Attachments
Aimed shot variant.png
Aimed shot variant.png (19.13 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
Aimed shot.png
Aimed shot.png (17.86 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

flail soldier has ignore armor effect, i can copy paste the json if u need

EDIT: here...
"trnSpecUnitActions":["BYPASS_ARMOR"],

if transformed u can put this line on the unit json, so easy flat damage
Last edited by godOfKings on Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Alexander82 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:54 pmimage
ok!
Alexander82

Re: Aimed Shot - IMPLEMENTED

Post by Alexander82 »

IMPLEMENTED

Return to “Archived - Elven Technologies and Spells”