siege tower IMPLEMENTED

AquaAbyss

Re: seige tower

Post by AquaAbyss »

This should definitely be in future games I don't see why not.
May the waves flood the land and fill the air; only fish will rule!
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Yes, it just was never agreed what exactly this should do. Should it just be a big troop carrier? Should it be able to "convert" fortifications? Should it be able to just destroy fortifications? Should troops inside get a bonus against fortifications? Should troops inside be able to leap over adjacent fortifications?

There were a lot of ideas, and nothing really was settled upon. Good topic to revive though. :)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Because you cannot store units inside walls, a leap over fortifications bonus definitely sounds more realistic for this unit out of all of them.

-They could possibly have them fight over towers, but I don't know if that's possible yet.
OLÉ
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Well, I think one of the ideas were that this could have a certain "conversion" chance against fortifications. So, if you used a siege tower to attack a fortress or something, there was like a 10% chance of "converting" it.

Or maybe that was the ladder carrier.... I am not quite sure now, but I remember that idea was floating around on one of these topics.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I guess conversion would be great for tower buildings for reasons of simpler coding.

But this shouldn't effect walls, they don't really do much, and then they get deleted. It's somewhat like the destroying idea. I prefer they leap over walls, until destroyed.
OLÉ
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

This is a good topic. I like the simplicity of just a large troop carrier (I think it will be implemented quicker). I think the somehow going over walls is better than converting - maybe a building or an effect spell.
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

All adjacent buildings become spaces that friendly units can move over then?

And if we make it a troop carrier, I think troops need to able to attack from it like mantlets
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

DoomCarrot wrote:All adjacent buildings become spaces that friendly units can move over then?

And if we make it a troop carrier, I think troops need to able to attack from it like mantlets
I think it is only enabling friendly units to be able to pass the wall / or convert the tower. (If there is an enemy units on a tower, they will clash)

Only ranged troops like archer i think that should be able to attack.
Currently exploring the wonder of dimension.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

DoomCarrot wrote:All adjacent buildings become spaces that friendly units can move over then?

It's all units that are inside of it because they need time to climb the tower too. :)

The rest sounds just fine.

Also I think we need to exclude siege weapons and cavalry from entering this tower.
OLÉ
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I would just make it so that units inside gain some sort of wall walking for a turn or that they just "teleport" in a free tile over a wall.
Age of Fantasy design leader
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

-Allow units to attack
-Teleport units inside over walls (friendly, neutral, or Enemy)
-Clash with tower units, and "takeover"?
-No Cav. or Siege?

Are these the final properties? :D

(Hey, maybe even Take over castle abilities so that trebuchets don't outmatch them too much. :twisted:

Please turn this idea down quickly if the idea is far out from the blue before I single handedly cause more complications and stuff..... ... :) )
OLÉ
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Puss_in_Boots wrote:-Allow units to attack
-Teleport units inside over walls (friendly, neutral, or Enemy)
-Clash with tower units, and "takeover"?
-No Cav. or Siege?

Are these the final properties? :D

(Hey, maybe even Take over castle abilities so that trebuchets don't outmatch them too much. :twisted:

Please turn this idea down quickly if the idea is far out from the blue before I single handedly cause more complications and stuff..... ... :) )
Not sure if that was ever really agreed upon though. It would require some serious game mechanic changes.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Wouldn't it just be the same mechanics of a TC?

Although I do understand how it would be difficult to give units inside another unit those capabilities.
OLÉ
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

I think if a siege tower is gonna be capable of taking fortifications, it should just be a special it has. Not something units inside have to do, as that good lead to a lot of glitchy game mechanics imo.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Okay, it will have a bonus on towers to take down defenses. Is that all that needs to be discussed? :|
OLÉ
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

I think so? Maybe final stats I suppose? Probably battering ram like, with 1 move, and 6-7 turn cost, if that is reasonable?
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

6 sounds good, it's not like most players would use walls.
It could prove to be useful in campaigns however.
OLÉ
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

Puss_in_Boots wrote:6 sounds good, it's not like most players would use walls.
It could prove to be useful in campaigns however.
I use wall and gate occasionaly. :lol:
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Sometimes walls are useful. However, if you are using walls, normally that means you are in big trouble lol
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

DoomCarrot wrote:Sometimes walls are useful. However, if you are using walls, normally that means you are in big trouble lol
What do you mean actually? If you mean i am in trouble that i need to build the walls, i just normally building defense first at the early game. :?
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

Comparison of cost, durability, and the prevented damage from destroying enemies, plus the fact that walls block your own movement​, generally adds up to the statement that towers are a much better defense. The biggest factor is that towers can attack enemies, thus reducing the total damage being taken by your defenses, as well as helping push the enemy back. Walls simply delay the enemy.
The glorious sun rises again
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

Well, usually i am building walls because they are cheap. I can use gate as a way in and out, i use longbowman too on helping defense (i upgraded archer mastery first), they are more reliable than building all-towers. Of course they are in the fortress usually, the longer the better. Tamtam hardly able to reach me with some mongol archers and knight, even catapult. While i had the biggest disadvantage at the match, i am basically are the smallest base (for luck reason) in the match. :lol:
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

Even gates slow your movement down, since they can't garrison. It's not as obvious unless it's in the furthest square, but try moving a catapult through one.
The glorious sun rises again
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

Sunrise Samurai wrote:Even gates slow your movement down, since they can't garrison. It's not as obvious unless it's in the furthest square, but try moving a catapult through one.
I always use wagon? I never let a catapult just walk 1 tiles / turn. And it's not like i care about it anyway.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: siege tower IMPLEMENTING

Post by Stratego (dev) »

to do

there is a new unit to be implemented:
----------------------------------------------
Cost: 5 turns
Hp: 100
Attack: 0
Armour: 2
Pierce armour: 30
Speed: 1
Garrison: 3 human units-no machinery, no attacking out of it.
Heal rate: N/A
Note: construction only possible in Castles

And special - makes walls walkable terrain when adjacent
how:
- walls will get the "CAN_BE_FLOWN_OVER"
- this tower will have an aura that will giva all garrisoned units the "CAN_FLY" ability
- this way they can "jump" out from the tower "over" walls, and right after leaving the tower they lose "flying", they can not really fly, so can not jump tru mountains.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: siege tower IMPLEMENTED

Post by Stratego (dev) »

uos 20

i made this not so nice image from an image from net - we still need a good image
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Seems like a good compromise! What is wrong with the current image earlier in this topic?
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Has the new image gotten into the game?
Thanks!
Josh
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

In the game now
Thanks!
Josh