Arrow Mage - ARCHIVED

Sunrise Samurai

Arrow Mage - ARCHIVED

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

With the elves natural skill in archery, plus their aptitude for magic, it's only natural that a few would combine the two. The best of these no longer need a bow to control projectiles, merely bending the wind to speed an arrow on its way. Or away from an ally.

Cost: 6, built at great tree
Hp: 15
Power: 4
Range: 4
Actions: 2
Armor 0/0
Spell resistance: 40%
Dodge base: 0%
Spells: Explosive arrow (gives fireball weapon for the rest of turn, meaning all attacks spawn a fireball on the hit square after they do damage. Also gives flaming weapon for 3 turns. Target self only, cooldown 7)
Lighting arrow (lighting storm weapon for 1 turn, like fireball weapon but does lighting storm instead. Lighting weapon for 3 turns. Cooldown 7, target self only)
Arrow shield (target self only, cooldown 1. Gives arrow shield aura for 1 turn. Arrow shield aura gives 40% ranged dodge to all allied units in radius 3.)

Essentially, he can sacrifice 1 attack to enchant his second to be a fireball or lightning storm in addition to normal damage, plus added fire or slowing effect. Alternative, his power can be used to divert enemy fire and help keep allied units safe from ranged attacks. This can be especially helpful if an enemy decides a horde of skirmishers is the way to go.

Image should have arrows floating around the unit. Maybe swirling if we want to add more images​ for a motion effect.
Last edited by Sunrise Samurai on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The glorious sun rises again
Sunrise Samurai

Re: Arrow Mage

Probably has bonus damage against other ranged units, whom he views as beneath even his contempt, still bound by meaningless contraptions and strength of arm to give flight to their projectiles.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

It's a lot like the battleship, but with even more destructive power. Definitely very useful against enemy elves, or if the number of Orcs and Undeads is too numerous. It may fall prey to a few catapult however.
OLÉ
Sunrise Samurai

It might. It's health isn't exactly stellar for the cost, but the ability to give 40% dodge chance against ranged attacks to nearby units can't be overlooked. It takes half his turn, but definitely helps against enemy elves, which normally becomes a bloodbath due to their abnormally high damage to health ratio as a race. It also fits this principle of high damage output, high utility, but low health. This also gives a decent elite unit, which I notice is an area the elves fall short when compared to other races. It doesn't bother them much in most settings, but lower population limits can make this fact obvious​ rather quickly when humans and orcs are focusing on powerful units the elves normally have to match with sheer numbers and range. Not to mention something other than dragons to make in great tree, because who honestly makes eagles unless your enemy is overly ship based.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I like the effects but i would make it a bitt different.

To begin with cost 10 is a lot, i would make it 6 and reduce a lot its range (having fireballs and lightning storms at range 9 after upgrades is really too much) and increasing a bit the cooldown time for its skill (so you use it with more caution).
Age of Fantasy design leader
Sunrise Samurai

So 6 cost, 4 range (7 with upgrades) and 7 cooldown on fireball/lighting storm skills. The idea was to make you choose between the shielding effect and the offensive spells anyway, so this helps make that choice even more carefully considered.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Another idea might be keeping the cooldown to 5 but reducing the radius for both spell at range 1 (5 tiles). What do you think?
Sunrise Samurai

I think I'd rather the full radius, but higher cooldown. It forces players to be a little more careful when using it.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Ok
Sunrise Samurai

Stats updated in original​ post. Is it good for the vote list or are there any other changes to make?
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I'd make these since other stats were balanced on a cost of 10
Cost: 6, built at great tree
Hp: 15
Power: 8
Range: 4
Actions: 1
Armor 0/0 (like other archers and spellcasters)
Spell resistance: 40% (like other elves)
Dodge base: 0% melee dodge, 0% ranged dodge (like other archers)
Spells: Explosive arrow (gives fireball weapon for the rest of turn, meaning all attacks spawn a fireball on the hit square after they do damage. Also gives flaming weapon for 3 turns. Target self only, cooldown 7)
Lighting arrow (lighting storm weapon for 1 turn, like fireball weapon but does lighting storm instead. Lighting weapon for 3 turns. Cooldown 7, target self only)
Arrow shield (target self only, cooldown 1. Gives arrow shield aura for 1 turn. Arrow shield aura gives 40% ranged dodge to all allied units in radius 3.)
I think it is more balanced (it is still far better than elven or human mage imho). This way it can shot a fireball/lightning storm every 3,5 turns (wizard and elven mage can throw one every 3 turns) and it can reach a range of 7 (a wizard and an elven mage cast those spell in a range of 4). On the physical side is still far superior than those spellcasters and it has also a good attack (max 11 damage) and the arrow shield seems a great spell to protect a group of archers, especially combined with the evasion techs.
Sunrise Samurai

Only problem with those stats is decreasing actions to 1 breaks the spells. They require 1 action to cast, then 1 to shoot, so it needs 2 actions per turn in order to function as intended. Otherwise, looks good. Updated stats to match, just with 2 actions.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

It is still a mage with 2 attacks with 11 damage every turn.

I thought that casting the spell in advance might have been part of the difficult for that unit since is far better than other mages.

If you just want the effect to act the same turn just change how the spell works and leave a single action.
Sunrise Samurai

I see the point. I think I fixed it. Dropped attack down to 4, so it shouldn't be as much damage. I was assuming it wouldn't attack more than once a turn anyway, using the other action to prepare a stronger attack or to protect allies. 8-11 power might have gotten strong enough to prefer two hits to the shield, but I don't think 4-7 is as bad. Also, to prevent it being op in late game or overbalanced in early game, it can't be helped by vision/eagle eye. That makes sure we're only balancing on upgrades, not the spells too.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I think it is ok.
Sunrise Samurai

Now that that's settled, it needs an image.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I'll try making one, even though I'm not much good at making elves xD
Sunrise Samurai

Haven't found your muse yet? Wish I was any good at making images. Maybe use elf wizard as a base pic, remove the staff and just put an arrow or two in his hands? It's something to start with at least.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I had in mind a male elf this time. I was thinking to add some beards but in some settings elves have none.
Sunrise Samurai

I've found the idea of beards on elves to be awkward at best. It's rarely done well. And please, let's definitely have it a male elf. I'm tired of obviously female units answering with obviously male voices when selected......but that's another topic entirely.
Sunrise Samurai

@lordofales: think you can make an image? You've been making a lot of good ones lately.
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

I can try
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Made from scratch,couldnt find any fitting elf image
Attachments
Arrow mage.png
Arrow mage.png (1.18 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Is it at least okay?
Sunrise Samurai

1. Lose the beard.
2. It might be easier to put arrows in his hands or give him a quiver. The patterned arrows around him don't work.
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Changed hairstyle,cut beard and added quiver
Attachments
Arrow mage.png
Arrow mage.png (1016 Bytes) Viewed 4786 times
Sunrise Samurai

That's a good one. Try some facial features?
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Eye is now blue,added mouth and bit of shading
Attachments
Arrow mage.png
Arrow mage.png (1.03 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
Sunrise Samurai

Looks about right. The belt in purple looks a bit goofy, but when it changes to whatever team color is it should be alright.
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Attachments
Arrow mage.png
Arrow mage.png (1.01 KiB) Viewed 4773 times

Return to “Archived - Elven Units, Buildings”