Elephant Speed Boost CLOSED

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
Puss_in_Boots

Elephant Speed Boost CLOSED

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

For realisms' sake, the Elephants should have a speed of 4. This speed makes it less vulnerable to agile early game archers, and especially the Mongolian horse archer. This makes it less vulnerable to conversion because it can destroy the healer, priest, or missionary before it gets in range, or if it missed. It will be able to catch up on infantry or follow in line with them without creating as much traffic. They will be also unable to move into wagons. They will also be a viable unit for and destroying siege weapons.

This will make players fear elephants more, and make more converting units, and their own elephants which almost nobody uses. I only did once to push back heavy amounts of infantry where catapults were not available.

It actually did work out well. :D

Have any other ideas please share!
Last edited by Puss_in_Boots on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OLÉ
Dan301002

Re: Elephant Speed Boost

Post by Dan301002 »

Puss_in_Boots wrote:For realisms' sake, the Elephants should have a speed of 4. This speed makes it less vulnerable to agile early game archers, and especially the Mongolian horse archer. This makes it less vulnerable to conversion because it can destroy the healer, priest, or missionary before it gets in range, or if it missed. It will be able to catch up on infantry or follow in line with them without creating as much traffic. They will be also unable to move into wagons. They will also be a viable unit for and destroying siege weapons.

This will make players fear elephants more, and make more converting units, and their own elephants which almost nobody uses. I only did once to push back heavy amounts of infantry where catapults were not available.

It actually did work out well. :D

Have any other ideas please share!
Elephant had much health tho, adding its speed will making it too overpowered. (And a campaign with many elephant enemies will be too hard) :?
Currently exploring the wonder of dimension.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Yes, I do worry about the campaigns being overly difficult, but they should be very challenging to kill, they are elephants afterall..

We could could decrease it's durability or health down to 70.

It's still enough to be deadly and difficult to kill.
OLÉ
tamtam12345

Post by tamtam12345 »

I think speed 4 is not realistic.To make more people use elephant,increase % of resist conversion may be better.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

But some maps rely on their conversion, and I am very sure an elephant can out run any human.
OLÉ
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Since unit conversion does represent switching beliefs, I think we can make them 50% harder to reason with and make them speed 3 to attack slingers, Mongols, etc.. without problem if they struck they are in range of the Elephants's movements, have hp 80 because I think 120 is too much.

Is that okay?
OLÉ
tamtam12345

Post by tamtam12345 »

Puss_in_Boots wrote:But some maps rely on their conversion, and I am very sure an elephant can out run any human.
Yes,you are right.

I think hp 80 is quite low.Few Pikeman can kill it easily.120 is suitable.
Hmm...maybe have a upgrade in blacksmith to increase speed to 3 and add some % to resist conversion ?
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

How about this idea: They start off as armored elephants that can only walk because they have too much weight with speed 2, 1 armor/ 1 armor pierce, and 20% resist.

Researched at 2 turns they can get light elephants with no armor, and 20 health decrease, and 3 speed. This way it depends on play style.

A tech researched at 6 to give them 30% more resistance.
OLÉ
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

then it would make sense to make 2 different units (a light elefant and a heavy elephant)
Age of Fantasy design leader
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Hm, yeah. The war elephant will be the armoured variant, to keep the maps around the intended difficulty level, while they still become more useful to the players. The new elephant will be named, "Light Elephant."
OLÉ
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Honestly, I think elephants have their uses still. I use them from time to time, they just tend to only be used by players with enough turns/patience to build an army of them. Similar to spartans.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Detros

Post by Detros »

If you want a fast elephant, load it in Transporter.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Detros wrote:If you want a fast elephant, load it in Transporter.
Not realistic. :|

The elephant should be useful on its own as well. Since it does cost 7 turns.
OLÉ
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i agree the need someting.
speed 3 with a "lephant training" tech sounds fine, coolguy?
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

That would probably be good.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Devang

Post by Devang »

Stratego (dev) wrote:i agree the need someting.
speed 3 with a "lephant training" tech sounds fine, coolguy?
Elephants are faster than human so they must be having speed 3 initially and if it gives them an extra edge ,pikemen are always there to take them down.
Devang

Post by Devang »

Elephants armoured or unarmoured are anyway faster than humans. So, there's no point for upgrading elephant speed to 3 but it should be 3 or 4 initially.

Return to “Unit balancing”