Game setting - Population Limit (Variant rule - food limits)

Put here any ideas about new suggested game types comes into your mind.
Daruty

Re: Game setting - Population Limit (Variant rule - food lim

Post by Daruty »

Can there please be an option to play without this unit limit. I understand that all you very experienced players see it as another strategical feature, but some players (like me) are just messing around and this limit kind of ruins the fun.

That's why i am asking to please have an option to disable this setting.
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

You can. Just turn Pop limit off when creating the game. Simple as that. :)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Is there any way to stop builders from building anything else after the pop limit has been reached? Also I see no option to remove it, just a "200" option for it.
OLÉ
Daruty

Post by Daruty »

This might seem stupid but i cannot find an option to disable the population limit, can you please explain how i disable it.
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Huh, weird you're right, there is only 200. I could have sworn there used to be an (any) option....

However, 200 is huge, Like, you probably couldn't even reach that if you tried in most games. But I agree an option to turn it off should be added (or re-added?)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

DoomCarrot wrote:Huh, weird you're right, there is only 200. I could have sworn there used to be an (any) option....

However, 200 is huge, Like, you probably couldn't even reach that if you tried in most games. But I agree an option to turn it off should be added (or re-added?)
While we're here: there should be a user interface display displaying your current population count and max pop count.
Anywhere in the corner of the screen that reads like: Pop: xxx/200 or Pop Count: xx/50 etc

Furthermore, and if this is already the case, ignore this, TC's should display whether or not production has been halted based on max population.

Aditionally, there should be an option within the TC to disable/suspend/halt production (to avoid bldg a unit at the farthest end of the map when nearing max population.
Detros

Post by Detros »

The Pendulum wrote:
DoomCarrot wrote:Huh, weird you're right, there is only 200. I could have sworn there used to be an (any) option....
While we're here: there should be a user interface display displaying your current population count and max pop count.
Anywhere in the corner of the screen that reads like: Pop: xxx/200 or Pop Count: xx/50 etc.
That's in the ingame menu, next to the amount of buildings and so.
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Im not talking about the option to set what the max population is, I'm talking about a display mid-match to inform the player how much population they've used up currently.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

The Pendulum wrote:Im not talking about the option to set what the max population is, I'm talking about a display mid-match to inform the player how much population they've used up currently.
It already exist, and Destros was trying to say: If you click on the menu during "in-game" you will see that it displays population, turns, castles, and buildings.
OLÉ
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Puss_in_Boots wrote:
The Pendulum wrote:Im not talking about the option to set what the max population is, I'm talking about a display mid-match to inform the player how much population they've used up currently.
It already exist, and Destros was trying to say: If you click on the menu during "in-game" you will see that it displays population, turns, castles, and buildings.
Oh I'm sorry! Wow I had no idea that was there! Lol What about my other suggestions?
Being able to suspend a buildings production, as well as having an overlay on unit production icons signifying a unit cant be built because of max pop?
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I agree, it would be more convenient if it tells you which ones won't produce, but that would be hard to determine until they reach 1 I guess. Your other idea is a separate idea, but yes there should an option to produce nothing.
OLÉ
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I agree that a "any" option would be good to have
Age of Fantasy design leader
Daruty

Post by Daruty »

Soooo when will the 'any' option be added?
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

Could we add a feature for increasing population limit based on building houses or something? Say a starting population limit and a max limit, where every house you own increases the limit toward the max.
The glorious sun rises again
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Yeah, that would have been good. We might add a new building called house that increases the limit. Alternatively we might give to all building a population value (for example walls might increase pop limit more than other buildings).

We still need a non population limit mode and a mode where all units lower the population available by their turn costa (e.g. A elephant lower pop by 8 while a swordsman by 2).
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Yes, I think housing would be a great next step for this. However, there was so e disagreement about how that should be implemented. AoE style housing? Or maybe population based on tcs somehow?
Sunrise Samurai

My vote, age of empires style. Don't bother with placing a limit based on tcs. The game already is highly balanced already towards whoever has more tcs winning. No real need to add more in that direction. Besides, this only influences max population. It's hard to fill a high limit without many tcs anyway.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

The important thing is that units should occupy the population by their cost.

If i have 100 population i can have 50 swordsmen or 25 knights
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

Alexander82 wrote:The important thing is that units should occupy the population by their cost.

If i have 100 population i can have 50 swordsmen or 25 knights
Ah, that is a good idea.
Currently exploring the wonder of dimension.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

However, if we make certain units cost different pop points, then it may make units like knights somewhat underpowered. But perhaps not. Perhaps it will just add more strategy to using such units. :)
Sunrise Samurai

The problem is that units should have cost scaled to effectiveness. Honestly, I never saw knights​ as underpowered compared to cheaper units.

Looking at the reasons for a population limit, I noticed it was just out of annoyance for swarms of cheap units. This is born out of either impatience to get troops out or a balance issue where multiple cheap units are considered superior to fewer elite units. I'd bet that part of the problem is that damage from stronger units is wasted when 12/30 damage actually hits a target before it dies, effectively​ reducing it to a weaker unit just because it can't use its full potential.

In AoF, I don't see this problem much. This probably​ is because area damage is fairly easy to come by, either as trample, fireball, lightning storm, catapult, etc. This isn't counting raise dead, which turns swarms against their maker. Often in AoF, bigger units are more worth their cost than little ones, and smaller units are only important for their stated roles and taking heat off your better troops. Maybe some more area damage options could force players to revise their strategy to avoid mass deaths.

Another idea is to let money courier turn to a grave robber when it spends it's money, which is stealthy and can consume dead corpses to turn back into a money​ courier, turning corpses into production value. This means a careful player could benefit from enemy swarms.
Belfry777

Food?

Post by Belfry777 »

This game is good but when besieging a castle the enemy will soon win if no units are soon deployed food would prevent that. Farms and farmers would make the game much more strategic in many ways! Just another thought!
A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.
LordOfAles

Re: Food?

Post by LordOfAles »

Nah, game should be kept simple
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

lol
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Why? I dont think anyone will disagree with me, but maybe a game mode, which is, also, been suggested earlier
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Maybe food isn't the best solution.

Still I would like encircling to become more advantageous for players even with much smaller and weaker units.

Like Hannibal did with the roman army.
OLÉ
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

Yes I think "lordofales" is right but there needs to be something.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

If you manage to surround an opponent's castle, chances are that it is going to be down within a few turns lol
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

yep.
Sunrise Samurai

DoomCarrot wrote:If you manage to surround an opponent's castle, chances are that it is going to be down within a few turns lol
Pretty much. Food would just be more complicated

Return to “New game types in the game (like capture the flag)”