Votes on the "Quick defeat option" - LMIP II) 1) a)

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
duneix

Votes on the "Quick defeat option" - LMIP II) 1) a)

Post by duneix »

This proposition comes from the List of major improvement propositions (LMIP) edited in 2017 :D
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3620

Definition
Once turn 20 (?) is passed and one player has twice more points than the other, this player can decide to end the game earlier and to win it.

Reason
. It makes no fun to go on playing when you know the game is over. When after turn 20 you have the double of points than the opponent, the game is already over, there is nothing anymore to do - or at least I never saw that.
. It happens sometimes (and it's terrible) to play against players who know they have lost, but refuse to resign and prefer not to play their turn, waiting 23h before passing it without moving any unit.
. The end of the game should not be automatic cause sometimes, revenges are discussed once the game is almost over and it would be a pity that the game ends before name & password of the revenge game are given

Implementation
Either as a standard option for every games or as an option to check when creating the game

Outstanding issues
What happens in 3/4/5/6 players games - how should it be considered? More than the double of every players alive?

What do you think about that?
Detros

Re: Votes on the "Quick defeat option" - LMIP II) 1) a)

Post by Detros »

Sounds good. Also good to not forget that turn>20 part.
For more players let's generalize it to "Team that has the highest score can declare itself winner if it has at the start of its turn at least twice as many points as the team with the second highest score. For teams consisting of more then one player, any team member can do so."
duneix

Post by duneix »

"twice as many points as the team with the second highest score" or "twice as many points as the sum of every teams still alive"?

I'm playing a 1vs1vs1vs1 right now, and I guess I'll soon have twice more as the 2nd one but if every 3 players ally against me, I could face some problems ;)

Detros wrote:Sounds good. Also good to not forget that turn>20 part.
For more players let's generalize it to "Team that has the highest score can declare itself winner if it has at the start of its turn at least twice as many points as the team with the second highest score. For teams consisting of more then one player, any team member can do so."
Detros

Post by Detros »

"twice as many points as the team with the second highest score, only live teams counted"
duneix wrote:I'm playing a 1vs1vs1vs1 right now, and I guess I'll soon have twice more as the 2nd one but if every 3 players ally against me, I could face some problems
Is there a diplomacy option for that or are we talking just about gentlemen truce "let's attack that other guy"? Without proper alliance the game can't be left deciphering our messages who is currently friend with whom. So only starting teams count. For current teams to count there would need to be a "join alliance with player" utility. In such case, you vs 3 players would be no more "you are clearly winning" so the game couldn't then be insta-ended.
duneix

Post by duneix »

Detros wrote:"twice as many points as the team with the second highest score, only live teams counted"
duneix wrote:I'm playing a 1vs1vs1vs1 right now, and I guess I'll soon have twice more as the 2nd one but if every 3 players ally against me, I could face some problems
Is there a diplomacy option for that or are we talking just about gentlemen truce "let's attack that other guy"? Without proper alliance the game can't be left deciphering our messages who is currently friend with whom. So only starting teams count. For current teams to count there would need to be a "join alliance with player" utility. In such case, you vs 3 players would be no more "you are clearly winning" so the game couldn't then be insta-ended.
We're talking about gentlemen truce "let's attack that other guy". not my favorite but honestly, if someone is getting too powerful, it's a kind of survival reflex cause else it means we're all lost. That's what I'm going to face within the next turns in my current game I think ;)
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Duneix has a point.

Once I was playing Hardeep, COOLGuy, and Sb on Guadalcanal, and I ended up having more than twice as many points as COOLGuy or Hardeep after defeating the other player. However, they teamed up against me, slowly whittling away my defenses and they ended up utterly defeating me. There are certainly scenarios where a lot of points doesn't equal a win.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I like that idea. Many times you ends up skipping another player or taking on an AI player
Age of Fantasy design leader

Return to “Gameplay & UI”