new/unit Ladder Bearer

RiverRaider 1097

new/unit Ladder Bearer

Post by RiverRaider 1097 »

Ladder Bearer / can be used to assault towers with a movement of 3, with the help of any infantry unit. Ladder Bearer moves up to tower, infantry follows to either attack units in tower or takes over unmanned or abandoned towers, could also be used to assault walls... a pikeman unit could be used but he will be carrying a ladder instead of pike ..unit strength and movement along the lines as a worker
and remember,wherever your at,there you are
balint

Re: new/unit Ladder Bearer

Post by balint »

I kike the take over unmanned tower function.
This is Hungary and winter is coming.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Why don't a siege tower? A siege unit with units inside, melee units inside the siege towers have double damage against buildings

Age of Fantasy design leader
RiverRaider 1097

Post by RiverRaider 1097 »

Siege towers would be great for the final push to take over the main strongholds, I was referring to the random towers that opponents build that pop up in the middle of no where that are not well defended.
and remember,wherever your at,there you are
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

And ladders are cheaper even if they are less effective.
Thanks!
Josh
count_dcinamon

Ladderman

Post by count_dcinamon »

Well, how about a ladder man? cheap unit, low on health, use for climb or capture the enemy walls maybe?

I havent play the game fully, so dont know if it is possible to climb or get into walls, but maybe it would be great to do so.

Note : pls share ur ideas, and i'll update this if I hv some more detailed ideas
“I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.”
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Re: Ladderman

Post by DoomCarrot »

woah, cool idea. Capturing enemy walls.... I think it would be cool if maybe he could convert watch towers/fortresses/tower things as well.

Maybe a very weak, slow unit that has a small chance of capturing a fortification when he climbs it? And if he fails, then he just dies?
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
count_dcinamon

Post by count_dcinamon »

But I think its more realistic if they are fast moving unit. I meant, they are basicly a man running around carying a ladder.

And they are not the one who can capture. Maybe they can "build" (its like build, but actually put something) the ladder they carry, put it next to a wall, after that other unit can ocupy the walls.

I know to do this, first the wall it self hv to be made garrisonable, so that enemy cant just occupy the dann wall like a boss but instead fight for it. If the unit that attack the wall from tge ladder won, the wall is theirs.

It will make a more siege like battle XD
“I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.”
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

I think a complicated garrisoning walls system is nearly out of the question not possible, unfourtanately, if bridges have taught us anything... :?
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

there is an old idea similar as this
http://www.ageofstrategy.net/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1465
count_dcinamon

Post by count_dcinamon »

I see.. Well, I think ur idea are goof enough for the concept. Any idea for the unit stats?
tamtam12345

Post by tamtam12345 »

I don't know......Maybe

Cost 1~2 turn
Hp 4~7
Atk 2
Armor 0/1
Speed 2
Sight 4
Range 1
10~25% success to get emeny wall.(If it can get towers,hp and % should be lower)
Die if fail to get.
Spell range 1
Can get into towns.
Action/move 1/1
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

(merged similar posts)
Thank you Darkknight!
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

tamtam, those stats look good. I think the turn cost should probably be 2-3 though, and give them maybe a 20% chance of taking watch tower, 5-10% chance for fortress/cannon tower?
rejuvinatedghost

Post by rejuvinatedghost »

How about instead of all the complicated converging just have him allow infantry to go over the wall itself herby negating its blocking ability?
When you realise your neighbor is part Banshee
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

That is also a possible approach, although some kinks would still have to be worked out.

Like can infantry move through buildings/walls that the friendly ladderman is adjacent to? Or does the ladderman die and give the wall a "laddered" status so that infantry can just go directly over them?
Detros

Post by Detros »

DoomCarrot wrote:Or does the ladderman die and give the wall a "laddered" status so that infantry can just go directly over them?
This may be easier programatically: the wall would behave like a gate that is opened to anyone.
Or did you think ladders would be faction-locked so only units of that faction could use their faction ladders?

Enemy should be allowed to somehow "deladder" that wall segment then, though. Via workers? Their own laddemen (who may not be consumed in this dellader process?
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

personally I think the ladder should be built in one turn by a builder.
A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

This is doable I think

- have a super weak ladder structure like the palisade ~1 turn
- it gives units the ability like the siege tower to go over walls

Just realized: The siege tower should reduce all infantry speed to 2. Otherwise the guys could "jump" over the walls from a few spaces away
Thanks!
Josh
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

Also the laborer should be able to build it.
General Brave

Post by General Brave »

Sounds good, how should the ladder look like.
Wise, Might, Loyalty. Forever stands Warfell.
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

I like a rope with a grappling iron with it. A rope latter.
General Brave

Post by General Brave »

Rope ladders?
Wise, Might, Loyalty. Forever stands Warfell.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

a group of 5 to 10 men carries a large ladder up to the top of the wall, a wall with ladder is a transformed wall that is like a tc with one garrison space, any unit can enter it and the player who enters wall will own it and b able to pass through it, other players will have to kill the garrisoned unit to enter wall and own it, in reality archers cannot destroy ladders and only the side which holds position on top of wall can remove ladder at his leisure. (basically a one time use transform spell) walls that r transformed into wall with ladders, cannot b destroyed until u conquer and transform it into normal wall again (after removing garrisoned unit ofcourse) as I watched the real life scenario of conquering walls with ladders in my fav manga Kingdom, this is the most realistic approach for the gameplay

the ladder bearer will have a spell that destroys wall and instantly summons a wall with ladder in its place, and no, u don't need another ladder bearer or worker to remove it, any player who owns the wall can remove it by transforming it

and ofc, mounted units, wagons and sieges cannot enter or pass through them at all
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

I like the wall being able to be climbed.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

The thing is that right now walls are absurdly easily destroyable with infantries.
Maybe if we either completely remove bonuses to walls from all infantries or add to walls more hp this unit will become useful as well as walls themself (both changes don't affect gates).
But right now both walls and this unit are nearly useless.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

True. I was just experimenting with them and samurai can cut walls 3x thick in just about 5 turns. I favor the removing bonuses from infantry.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

r u kidding me? in five turns u can make an archer and a long bow and easily kill samurai, rather walls become harder to destroy wen u hav massive walls, no way u should ask for removing bonus against walls for infantry
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

makazuwr32 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:38 am The thing is that right now walls are absurdly easily destroyable with infantries.
Maybe if we either completely remove bonuses to walls from all infantries or add to walls more hp this unit will become useful as well as walls themself (both changes don't affect gates).
But right now both walls and this unit are nearly useless.
I prefer second variant – massively increasing normal walls only hp (not gates and palisades) or even just adding new though walls.
Hp must be 200-250 in base. Also siege weapons must have against it high bonus - castle-like one i think. And ofc they will take more turns to build, not 3 turns in base and 2 with ambidextria.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

Why should a guy with a sword be very good at breaking walls? Yeah I don't think so.

Return to “Unit - siege engines / machines”