Shield Knight - IMPLEMENTED

These suggestions are in the game
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Shield Knight - IMPLEMENTED

Post by DoomCarrot »

A knight with a large shield. Same bonuses as a knight, but does much less damage and has 4-5 pierce armor. Just an idea. This would be nice for campaigns, if not actual games.

Imageimage
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
FiredClay

Re: Shield Knight

Post by FiredClay »

Would it pick off lancers?
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

No, but it would be very tough to kill with arrows. :)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Like a mounted shielder? Cool!
Thanks!
Josh
Elvenprincess
Location: Rivendell, Lorien, Brooklyn (New York), Endor, and many other places...

Post by Elvenprincess »

Would it be slower than the other mounted units?
Namárië!
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

I suppose 4 move would make sense, as well as some damage nerf compared to knight. However, I think it should otherwise have same stats/bonuses as knight.
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

How about these stats?
Knight/Shielder/Shield Knight
Cost: 4 / 2 / 4
Hp: 32 / 18 / 32 (sowrdman and shielder Hp is same so made it same also for its mounted versions)
Attack: 10 / 6 / 8 (sowrdman to knight increase in power is 2 so made it same for the mounted shield)
Range: 1 / 1 / 1
Armor: 2 / 1 / 3
P.Armor: 2 / 5 / 5
Speed: 5 / 2 / 4 (because of large shield)
Sight: 5 / 3 / 4 (speed is 4 so sight only needs to be 4)
Action: 1 / 1 / 1
Spell resistance: 0 / 0 / 0

Bonus will be same as a knight

So it is a slower (and slightly weaker) knight. Will be useful when the enemy has a large number of archers (or other ranged units).
Usually if a group of knight charges then you would weaken it with archers and kill it with a pikeman so that the pikeman will get no damage. If a group of mounted shielder charges there would not be enough archers so that a pikeman could finish it without gaining any damage. Also useful when charging into the enemie's land becasue it will take barely any damage from their towers and will cause a better distraction while your group of infantry is advancing.

If you want a upgrade of this:
Heavy Knight/Defender/Upgraded version
Cost: 4 / 2 / 4
Hp: 39 / 24 / 42 (to be used as a more tanky unit)
Attack: 12 / 9 / 9 (not much increase)
Range: 1 / 1 / 1
Armor: 2 / 3 / 4 (1 more than defender and mounted shield)
P.Armor: 2 / 6 / 6 (same as defender because with the blacksmith you can +2 the armor and I dont think it would need a pierce armor higher than that)
Speed: 5 / 2 / 4 (still slower so not overused)
Sight: 5 / 3 / 4
Action: 1 / 1 / 1
Spell resistance: 0 / 0 / 0

Bonus still same

The increased Hp and armor/P. armor will make it a very effective tank but to counter this its attack is not very improved. This will make its original use as a tanky knight more efficient while not being too stronger than a knight.

Please help improve this :)
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

These stats look great! Good job Darkknight. :)
Alexander82

Re: Shield Knight - ACCEPTED

Post by Alexander82 »

I don't think it would make sense to make it slower, cause a shield wouldn't make such a difference for a horse; also it already has a attack penalty so you should choose between the penalty to speed or the one to attacck (slowest but same attack than knight or fast as a normal knight but slower)
Age of Fantasy design leader
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Welcome back Alexander!

I think you are right that a shield probabaly should not slow down a horse. However, if we give it 5 speed, it may make normal knights partly obsolete. Thus, for gameplay reasons, I think we should probably keep it as a "heavy cavalry" sort of unit.

If we gave it 5 speed, I suppose we could just nerf its damage, but i don't know...
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

Its hard to ride with a big heavy shield that you are constantly moving to deflect arrows and blows without hurting your horse remaining in control :roll:
C'mon guys :D
Hi Alexander! I wrote you off for dead :o
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Hi guys ^_^

Btw i don't think that would make knight obsolete cause knights would have a higher attack. As i remember shielder has the same attack as the swordman but it is slower (i might be wrong but i'm too lazy to check now xD )
Age of Fantasy design leader
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

True, we would just have to make it noticeably tougher and less damaging than a knight.
MightyGuy

Post by MightyGuy »

REVIVED This Topic...
kingofgalaxies

Post by kingofgalaxies »

No, the Shielder has an attack of 6, so 2 less than a Swordsman.
So the Shield Knight should also have 8-9 attack AND a speed of 4 to be balanced. ;)
Also the elite version having +10 hp is a bit op I guess...
But all in all I like the unit.

Return to “IMPLEMENTED - Mounted”