Maceman OP IMPLEMENTED

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Maceman OP IMPLEMENTED

Post by DoomCarrot »

He does more damage to buildings than spartans it seems, can one hit most basic infantry units, and it takes quite a bit more to bring him down than any other foot soldier for that price. Does anyone think he should have a 2-5 point nerf on health or attack?
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
COOLguy

Re: Maceman OP

Post by COOLguy »

:( Yeah I made him strong. He is like a slower and slightly weaker version of the knight.

I generally pick him with archers and/or charge with the cavalry. Also catapults, ballistae, and triremes are good too.
Thanks!
Josh
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

No, he is not OP. Dies with four normal archer hits https://youtu.be/tBwuhqp51CA?t=3m6s (in Turkish though)
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Hmm, I'm starting to find his weaknesses I think. He is deffinately a very useful unit though. I would prefer him over any other anti building infantry any day besides man at arms.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

same :)
Thanks!
Josh
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

He has no bonus on castle :(
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

But who in their right mind would attack a castle with infantry to begin with :lol:
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Me - i generally use man at arms and surround the castle with 4 of them to fall the castle within 2 turns
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

TheBluePhoenix wrote:Me - i generally use man at arms and surround the castle with 4 of them to fall the castle within 2 turns
Wow I had no clue.

I will look into the bonus deal.
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Omg, I just sid the math and your right, man-at-arms would destroy a castle super quick :shock:
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Not just man at arms, shielders are good too(the upgrade even better) they are well protected against the fiery arrows of the castle . But man at arms are best. Swordsmen get killed too easily
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Wow my chronic underestimation of infantry has left me :o
Thanks!
Josh
LagitKiller

Post by LagitKiller »

The maceman is supposed to be an elite version of the swordsman, whose weakness is cavalry, yet the maceman does more damage to cavalry than cavalry do to him. I just think the maceman is overpowered and now because of that overused. No units have a bonus against him. All units should have at least one weakness
LagitKiller

Post by LagitKiller »

The maceman is overpowered and because of that overused. No units have a bonus against the maceman and all units should have a weakness(es). Maceman is likened to an elite version of swordsman, whose major weakness is cavalry, yet maceman does more damage to cavalry than cavalry do to him. Having such high attack, he should also have some weaknesses, for example a 50% cavalry bonus against him
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Yes you are right. I recently noticed its strength against cavalry. However i think that it should remain as it is. But i was thinking, that macemen would be pretty slow while attacking due to the weight of the mace , right? So why not give him a hit probability of 50%? Similar to slingers and catapults?this way he will be more balanced

Jacob91

Post by Jacob91 »

I agree with lagitkiller. In many multiplayer games people overuse maceman and the only counter is to attack with maceman themselves. In my opinion cavalry needs to have a bonus against maceman in order to check the maceman. Another option would be to add a new unit that has bonus against maceman.
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

TheBluePhoenix wrote:Yes you are right. I recently noticed its strength against cavalry. However i think that it should remain as it is. But i was thinking, that macemen would be pretty slow while attacking due to the weight of the mace , right? So why not give him a hit probability of 50%? Similar to slingers and catapults?this way he will be more balanced
I dont think i will ever use the maceman if the chance of hitting is 50%. How about lowering its speed?
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

I don't think he is OP.

But if he is, it would make more sense to just take away his counter-attack.
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

That is good option too

DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

COOLguy wrote:I don't think he is OP.

But if he is, it would make more sense to just take away his counter-attack.
Hmm, this would make a lot of sense, considering that maces are generally large and heavy weapons, not particularly good at defense. This would make him a purely offensive unit, though still powerful.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Yeah right

LagitKiller

Post by LagitKiller »

Taking away his counter-attack could be interesting, it would make him a unique unit. If that is done though, he should be given 1/0 or 2/0 armor though, probably 1/0, so he doesn't get completely mauled by weak units
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

How about the good old skirmishers become their bane? A javelin to the gut doesn't help with swinging a mace, and skirmishers are just quality guys in a broad sense :)
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Good old skirmies are already everythings bane :twisted:
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

Yep, 'cept when you're using them :)
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

was this discussion closed:?
LagitKiller

Post by LagitKiller »

I dont think so, and i still see them being way overused in multiplayer, especially by those who arent so good. Even if the only change is to 15 attack instead of 17, that would be fine
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:was this discussion closed:?
No it is too new - we should keep it open longer.

I think that Macemen are useful, but they are very easy to counter.

Ask DoomCarrot. In our mp I use them, but they were far from OP.
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Like I said when talking about men-at-arms:

They are very powerful infantry early game and certainly are "easy" to use, but if you put in the effort to get man-at-arms, they are outclassed as the best all-around infantry. They are very useful, but not OP.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

I have realized that hussars have bonuses against every infantry but macemen. I think this may be the case for other cavalry as well. Was this intended?

Return to “Unit balancing”