water goblins /orcs

lordtalamar

water goblins /orcs

Post by lordtalamar »

Same basic stats as goblin Spearman or basic orc swordsman but has gills and. flippers and moves 4 in water 2 on land. Built at dock or town center on waterfront. 3 turn 2 turn not sure?
Alexander82

Re: water goblins /orcs

Post by Alexander82 »

Something like a merman ir a sahuagin?
Age of Fantasy design leader
lordtalamar

Post by lordtalamar »

Alexander82 wrote:Something like a merman ir a sahuagin?
More like the sahuagin but not everyone plays d&d to understand that.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Hhaha that's true. Just to make sure i've understood what you might like :D
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I made this image. We might call it sea orc or swamp orc
I have also made one with an armor (the idea is that is being made of a carapace of a giant crab, or something like that)
Attachments
Armored Swamp Orc 2.png
Armored Swamp Orc 2.png (20.59 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
Armored Swamp Orc.png
Armored Swamp Orc.png (20.59 KiB) Viewed 6686 times
Swamp Orc.png
Swamp Orc.png (20.59 KiB) Viewed 6686 times
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

1st one is very nice
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

I like the third one :)
"I don't care who I have to step on on my way down."
lordtalamar

Post by lordtalamar »

Very cool I like the 3rd 1 best
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Daniel, can you give your opinion here?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

here i am undereducated again, is it
a) very common unit type in D&D?
b) common?
c) rare?
d) not even in d&d?

thanks
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

In d&d there are elemental planes and humanoids from that planes are variants from the common humanoid types
Also my design have been inspired by the creature, a swamp monster that is a classic horror monster from old movies.

I also think that we shouldn't just stick to what's in d&d or Lotr, we already have different unit concepts (the dryad of the elves it's completely different from a d&d dryad, we have treant builders and i've never seen any common fantasy where elver have treant servants, also in every fantasy settings undead and orc archers are common as in other races, while here undead totally lack them and orcs have archers that can't easily hit a man standing behind them), so we should just approve things that we like and that might develop the AoF setting as something that is different from other.

If you don't like the unit your opinion is what counts (we might also keep it for the mercs idea if you want) but i don't think we should ever consider what is in other fantasy settings, because fantasy it's often different from itself. There are tolkien high elves, there are wood elves in other settings, there are elves like in d&d that are just like humans that lives much longer and so on, there is no "right unit" but there are "the right units for your setting".

If you don't feel your setting should have water orcs, just like in your setting elves run like horses or undead towers becomes golems, just say that you don't like it, it'll be enough.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

we shouldn't just stick to what's in d&d or Lotr
ok, but in the first drop i want to have all unitts from these, and nothing else, and after that we can let our fantasies fly farer.
the dryad of the elves it's completely different from a d&d dryad
that is not good, please give details (in a new thread) about how díad should look like and should stats look.
treant builders and i've never seen any common fantasy where elver have treant servants
that was my idea to give a builder, but why do u call em servants? they are allies, friends - and ent helps elves with building.
undead and orc archers
The main race ideas are written in the races section, that is why we have no archers for them, i want to keep that "rule" in the first times (this is a smaller set of units than D&D and LOTR) so if we have a well balanced "small set" we can go to the upper levels.

like this:
- start time: rules section descritiption units (smallest set of units)
- later: D&D and LOTR other units (bigger set of units)
- later later: any idea we come up with (what is not in D&D either)
don't feel your setting should have water orcs
i dont have any bad feeling on water orcs, i like the concept, but if they are not even in D&D then we should wait till the later-later phase we are.
elves run like horses
no, they are slower - horses are 5 movemented, they are faster then other humanoids, but slower than horses.

Code: Select all

undead towers becomes golems
is it not "real"? i thought it is ok to summon golems from bones.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

About the elves that run like horses i mean like missionaries, undead knights and wolf knights.

Anyway. About anything i've written above, what i mean is that in a fantasy setting there is no "wrong" (btw in d&d they have water orcs, sahuagin and other water races that may fit into the "bad race" category). I've never heard of a tower who becomes a bone golem but if you like the idea you can't go wrong in a fantasy setting; that's what cool in a fantasy game; you don't have to stick too much to reality and nor to history, just common sense (e.g. you can't think of a stone golem tall like a truck that flies with pigeon wings, unless there isn't some sort of magic power involved).

About the water orcs idea and every other idea we'll have in the future... in a game with different race we'll always have balance issues, so it shall be a dynamic balance, introducing always new things to balance some new unit created for another race, and so on...
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

in a fantasy setting there is no "wrong"
i agree, but at first i dont want to make out of box things, later we can, but first we need a "realistic" base.

i agree to the rest: eg. "bad race" is not good term, we should say "uncommon" race.

so if bone golem is not "realistic" or should be summoned other ways, please write about it in the golem topic.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Sorry i wrote bad but i meant evil.

The thing about golem is that a golem is a construct (like frankenstain) while this is mostly like an undead transformer mazinger. A tower should be huge and a golem is not supposed to be really that "giant".
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

I think focusing to much on the classics of the genre will hold back the game greatly. I can understand the will to tread carefully. But it is important that AOF makes an impact on fantasy early on, by creating unique units to give the game an original feel.
We already have a solid base. But its bland. Without originality it will become a copy of D&D/LOTR without any real soul of its own.
I fear that waiting to long to implement the rare units will be a great falt on the game.

But this is just my opinion. :)
Last edited by ejm29 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't care who I have to step on on my way down."
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I agree
lordtalamar

Post by lordtalamar »

Sorry been a while since I've checked this thread. Yes the water orc and saugin are very popular D&D bad guys expecially in Forgotten Realms and Dragon Lance although not so many in appear in Grey Hawk. Suffice it to say water orcs are in almost every water based Dungeons and Dragons novel. Lots of times they ride sharks or even giant eels. Many times they are controlled by the Naga (snakemen), they can fight on land but have negatives to attack and damage. Of course when in water they use overwhelming numbers to capture hapless boats containing members of the heros party.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Swamp orc

Stats:
Cost 2
Attack 12
HP 24
Range 1
Armor 0
Pierce 0
Speed 2 (On land)
Speed 4 (On water)
Sight 5
Action 1
Trained At Tc, Dock
High bonus against ships and sea creatures, low bonus against building aside of docks (it is more accostumed to assault ship, less to raid buildings that aren't docks)
Upgrade 1

stats:
Cost 2
Attack 15
HP 27
Range 1
Armor 1
Pierce 1
Speed 2 (On land)
Speed 5 (On water)
Sight 6
Action 1
Trained At Tc, Dock
High bonus against ships and sea creatures, low bonus against building aside of docks (it is more accostumed to assault ship, less to raid buildings that aren't docks)
This unit is not an upgrade but will be put in as a basic unit (you can use it in games without upgrades)
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Some edit
Attachments
Armored Swamp Orc New.png
Armored Swamp Orc New.png (18.3 KiB) Viewed 5828 times
Swamp Orc New.png
Swamp Orc New.png (18.28 KiB) Viewed 5828 times
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

2nd upgrade added

Swamp orc

Stats:
Cost 2
Attack 12
HP 24
Range 1
Armor 0
Pierce 0
Speed 2 (On land)
Speed 4 (On water)
Sight 5
Action 1
Trained At Tc, Dock
Upgrade 1
Cost 2
Attack 15
HP 27
Range 1
Armor 1
Pierce 1
Speed 2 (On land)
Speed 5 (On water)
Sight 6
Action 1
Trained At Tc, Dock
Upgrade 2
Cost 2
Attack 18
HP 30
Range 1
Armor 2
Pierce 2
Speed 2 (On land)
Speed 6 (On water)
Sight 7
Action 1
Trained At Tc, Dock
Attachments
Master Swamp Orc.png
Master Swamp Orc.png (18.42 KiB) Viewed 5739 times
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

I am exited for this unit!
Epic Gamer Moment!

Return to “Archived - Orcish Units, Buildings”