OUTDATED: New skin packs and skins

Put here any ideas, suggestions about redesigning unit/building graphics.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: New skin packs and skins

Post by Stratego (dev) »

But i can only repeat.myself: i would rather make option to view the map without skins by a switch, than making too strict rules on unit !historical! appearance
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Well, i guess a button to automatically turn off skins is fine, although i would prefer that new skins are recognisable on what unit they represent instead of having to turn off to default skin because i m confused by the image
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Sure all needs to be recognizable. But be historical makes it being recognizavle already.

So i just say we do not need to make extra rules if we have one kept "to be historical" is enough.

And maybe another: hold weapon(if that makes it recognizable) a way it is visible (but still in any position if visible)

Also yes we can say that too that within a skinpack archer and logbow archer should wear some different shirt or something so not only the bow would be different (as hard to recognize)
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Also i asked for examples as we still talk without them.

The above images were good as few examples.
And showed
- A wrong logbow skin
- A hardly differentiate archers within a skin.

The others seemed ok to me at first glance.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

but it is good we discuss it as i wanted already to fix the "image" guidelines section, basides these the shading statements too - that Endru is already suggesting.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

So we can collect the "rules", and i can extend it if you can show me problematic ones (with images if possible) that needs new rule if we end up it needs it.

So far i have these in mind as rules
1. Historical appearance: All units should try to show a historical (/possible historical) appearance
- this includes the equipment, weapons and mounts they might used.
- also includes the weapon sizes being fit to the character size showing a realistic weapon size (eg. a longbow should be about same pixel length as the efault skin - or better to say: as the real size of weapon compared to the weilder)
- exception to realistic weapon size can be if that does not fit into the 1+1 tiles a normal unit can be drawn into (32x64px or 64x128px)

2. Skinpack units distinguish: if in same skinpack there are two similar units eg. archer, longowmen, they should (is possible) not only differ in weapon size (as hard to see) but in the uniform too, or some any other differentiation (but still keepin "historicalinity")

we can have more ifu show me problematic cases,
eg. if you can show me a leader that does not look as leader (historically drawn one) for some reason.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Just in case aof skins regarding archers.
3 tiers of human archers — basic archer, longbowman, crossbowman, poison archer.

1. On the left: Snezhgrad warriors
On the right: default basic skins

2. On the left: Njorlund
On the right: Eastern Army

As you can see in all cases they can be distinguished despite being very similarly equipped as well as the fact that unit becomes better for sure.

1. Default (8.5/10 rate):
Different weapons (and that is VISIBLE), different arrows (in case of poison archer);
2. Snezhgrad warriors (10/10 rate):
This one is definitely most different between each unit as all 4 have the highest amount of differeces, including even uniform;
3. Eastern army (5.5/10 rate):
This one is not the best one but still it is visible — weapon changes, armor changes and ammo changes (alas in this case i would prefer to see more differences between tiers specifically, which is why i lowered resulting rating by -1.5 points);
4. Njorlund (9.8/10 rate):
This one has different approach — all 4 units have completely same uniform but what makes them recognizable are 1. their poses — longbowman and crossbowman have different from archer and poison archer positions; 2. again their weapons and arrows.

Ofc i think those are not truly historically accurate unlike AoS skins but still i think all 4 variants are clearly distinguishable and perfected.
Thus i think they can be used as examples for such visible difference (excluding Eastern army one though).
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:16 pm 1. their poses
Pose or stance, this is what i meant should b different in case the units r wearing similar equipment and difference is not easily noticeable
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i quickly changed the draxolan marauders.
Attachments
unit_longbowman_upg.png
unit_longbowman_upg.png (8.4 KiB) Viewed 532 times
unit_archer.png
unit_archer.png (7.96 KiB) Viewed 534 times
unit_longbowman.png
unit_longbowman.png (8.04 KiB) Viewed 534 times
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

also draxonian guardians
Attachments
unit_longbowman_upg.png
unit_longbowman_upg.png (8.73 KiB) Viewed 530 times
unit_longbowman.png
unit_longbowman.png (8.25 KiB) Viewed 530 times
unit_archer.png
unit_archer.png (1.3 KiB) Viewed 530 times
FalconHeavy13

Post by FalconHeavy13 »

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but I have 2 designs to add to the 64th cohort skin bundle, one for the vexillum and one for the cornicem.

I used several aspects of the game as a base, including the prince's alternate appearance.

it took me longer to make the lion of the roman vexillum and the horn of the cornicem.
What do you think? I accept criticism.
Attachments
Untitled14.png
Untitled14.png (1.11 KiB) Viewed 370 times
Untitled13.png
Untitled13.png (1.12 KiB) Viewed 370 times

Return to “Graphics”