Quality of life changes IMPLEMENTED mostly

Any other ideas that does not fit to the specific categories.
Lucifer

Quality of life changes IMPLEMENTED mostly

Post by Lucifer »

I want to suggest the following QOL changes for the game:

1. Players should be able to See messages even on other people's turns. See, but not write. Currently, you cannot open message window at all on other people's turns. This change is needed because:
- After you are defeated, you cannot see the messages or talk about a rematch (as you cannot see the other person's last message anymore)
- A Player might wanna see the previous messages and plan ahead during an enemy's or allies' turn.
- A Player might want to keep a complete game that was particularly good, and to be able to view the messages even after game finish.

2. Player should be able to select units even on other people's turns. Select, but not move, act, waypoint, delete, open carrier, etc. So you can only select to see the unit's stats window, and effects on it. This is required because currently there's no way to check your units when its an enemy's or allies' turn. Once you are halfway through a game, you probably have way too many units to keep track of them all the time.

3. HP Increases should be displayed like other increases as well. For example, if you have some armor techs researched, your unit might show: 2+4/3+4 armor. However, if you have some HP techs researched, you do not see this addition. ie you see 100/100 hp (no way of knowing what is original amount and what is tech gained, or gained through effects.
Idea for that: Suppose you have a 50/50 hp unit. You researched a tech that gives it +15 hp. Currently it will be displayed as 65/65.
Suggestion: display it like 65/65 (+15)

4. When a player opens the stats window of a unit, their stats are displayed by accounting for effects and techs. However, when you select same unit in production menu of a factory or TC, techs are not accounted for. So if real unit has 2+4/3+4 armor, unit window opened from production selection in TC only shows 2/3 armor. This should be changed, and unit should display stats accounting for techs, just like actual units. So in late game, it is easier to check which unit should be trained, as their stats might have changed massively due to techs.

5. If a player is defeated/kicked/resigned, they should still be able to see the game. They should gain "sight" from their remaining units + all allies units. So even if a player is defeated, they can still see the match of their ally who is left.
Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Quality of life changes

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Vulkan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:51 am
1. Players should be able to See messages even on other people's turns. See, but not write. Currently, you cannot open message window at all on other people's turns. This change is needed because:
- After you are defeated, you cannot see the messages or talk about a rematch (as you cannot see the other person's last message anymore)
- A Player might wanna see the previous messages and plan ahead during an enemy's or allies' turn.
- A Player might want to keep a complete game that was particularly good, and to be able to view the messages even after game finish.

This one can be done - i need a readonly version of the messages for this
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

2. Player should be able to select units even on other people's turns. Select, but not move, act, waypoint, delete, open carrier, etc. So you can only select to see the unit's stats window, and effects on it. This is required because currently there's no way to check your units when its an enemy's or allies' turn. Once you are halfway through a game, you probably have way too many units to keep track of them all the time.
could be, but dangerous, if anything i miss to check - the use can manipulate in enemy turn - so needs good teting after i make it.
can someone volunteer to test?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Vulkan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:51 am I want to suggest the following QOL changes for the game:

3. HP Increases should be displayed like other increases as well. For example, if you have some armor techs researched, your unit might show: 2+4/3+4 armor. However, if you have some HP techs researched, you do not see this addition. ie you see 100/100 hp (no way of knowing what is original amount and what is tech gained, or gained through effects.
Idea for that: Suppose you have a 50/50 hp unit. You researched a tech that gives it +15 hp. Currently it will be displayed as 65/65.
this is not so clear as:
- on armor case there is no "regular" change of value like on hp - so i can simply compare the "stock" unit value and write the difference postfixed by with + and - value.
- however what i should do on hp case? if unit lost 10hp by damage i should write 50-10? if not - why not? (if i need to write "increase" like 50+10 than the logic would show the other way too.)
- also what if unit base hp is 50 and tech increased to 60 (i would show 50+10) BUT if unit got 15 damage what i should show? (50-5 or 60-15 or 45 ?)
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

4. When a player opens the stats window of a unit, their stats are displayed by accounting for effects and techs. However, when you select same unit in production menu of a factory or TC, techs are not accounted for. So if real unit has 2+4/3+4 armor, unit window opened from production selection in TC only shows 2/3 armor. This should be changed, and unit should display stats accounting for techs, just like actual units. So in late game, it is easier to check which unit should be trained, as their stats might have changed massively due to techs.

i am not sure this is a good approach - that in-game help is the "general help" that is not related to the running game at all.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

5. If a player is defeated/kicked/resigned, they should still be able to see the game. They should gain "sight" from their remaining units + all allies units. So even if a player is defeated, they can still see the match of their ally who is left.
so like on defeat is thould gain the "writing" tech?
istn this contradictory or problemous?
Lucifer

Post by Lucifer »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:28 pm could be, but dangerous, if anything i miss to check - the use can manipulate in enemy turn - so needs good teting after i make it.
I can help with the testing
Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink.
Lucifer

Post by Lucifer »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:32 pm this is not so clear as:
- on armor case there is no "regular" change of value like on hp - so i can simply compare the "stock" unit value and write the difference postfixed by with + and - value.
- however what i should do on hp case? if unit lost 10hp by damage i should write 50-10? if not - why not? (if i need to write "increase" like 50+10 than the logic would show the other way too.)
- also what if unit base hp is 50 and tech increased to 60 (i would show 50+10) BUT if unit got 15 damage what i should show? (50-5 or 60-15 or 45 ?)
In this case I am suggesting something different than the armor one. For example,
Original: 50/50
Researched tech for +10 hp: 60/60 (+10)
Takes 15 damage: 45/60 (+10)

=> ie the (+10) part is constant - it is just showing you the maxHP gained from techs/effects over "stock" value
Lucifer

Post by Lucifer »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:33 pm i am not sure this is a good approach - that in-game help is the "general help" that is not related to the running game at all.
I see. Do you mean its hard to implement?
I often face problems because of this - as you always need to calculate tech changes whenever deciding what unit to train. For many races like dwarves, or scaledfolk, this change can be so drastic that actual in-game unit is nowhere close to "stock" value.

Since matches often last for weeks and months, its nearly impossible to remember what techs you have. You need to constantly check and re-learn your tech stat changes when deciding what to train.
Lucifer

Post by Lucifer »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:34 pm so like on defeat is thould gain the "writing" tech?
It's more like "Spectator mode". It can be a "Spectator mode" tech which has the same effect as "Writing" tech. It shouldn't be problematic, as it gives no additional information that the team didn't already have. More importantly, it lets you view your ally continue the match and see who ultimately won.

This is actually a big issue in the game - For team matches, once you lose/resign/kicked, you have no way of knowing what happened to the match.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Vulkan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:38 pm
Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:32 pm this is not so clear as:
In this case I am suggesting something different than the armor one. For example,
Original: 50/50
Researched tech for +10 hp: 60/60 (+10)
Takes 15 damage: 45/60 (+10)

=> ie the (+10) part is constant - it is just showing you the maxHP gained from techs/effects over "stock" value
this can be - but isnt that bothering not not clear to all players what that means?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Vulkan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:41 pm
Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:33 pm i am not sure this is a good approach - that in-game help is the "general help" that is not related to the running game at all.
I often face problems because of this - as you always need to calculate tech changes whenever deciding what unit to train. For many races like dwarves, or scaledfolk, this change can be so drastic that actual in-game unit is nowhere close to "stock" value.

Since matches often last for weeks and months, its nearly impossible to remember what techs you have. You need to constantly check and re-learn your tech stat changes when deciding what to train.
mhmm. i see.

i dont think that hard, (i just need to run the apply all techs to unit logic on a fake sample unit or something.)
the thing i am afraid its not "logical" approach -> case: what if u want to see the stock values? (eg. for thinging for enemy units and their properties) that would be bothering to see your own tech-altered stats...
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Vulkan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:44 pm
Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:34 pm so like on defeat is thould gain the "writing" tech?
It's more like "Spectator mode". It can be a "Spectator mode" tech which has the same effect as "Writing" tech. It shouldn't be problematic, as it gives no additional information that the team didn't already have. More importantly, it lets you view your ally continue the match and see who ultimately won.

This is actually a big issue in the game - For team matches, once you lose/resign/kicked, you have no way of knowing what happened to the match.
i presume you mean only the non-revealed matches. as on revealed ones you see everything

i can make it without tech too... if on checking visibility the died person sees all its allies view hardcoded.

not sure it is a good base for exploits (first i thought to see everything but that would be definitely exploit)
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:32 pm
Vulkan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:51 am I want to suggest the following QOL changes for the game:

this is not so clear as:
We show 2 values for hp — first value for current hp, second for max hp.

I see this change to affect only max hp — in example above it will show like 50+15.

It will not affect how current hp (first value) is shown.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:14 am
Vulkan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:41 pm

mhmm. i see.

i dont think that hard, (i just need to run the apply all techs to unit logic on a fake sample unit or something.)
the thing i am afraid its not "logical" approach -> case: what if u want to see the stock values? (eg. for thinging for enemy units and their properties) that would be bothering to see your own tech-altered stats...
This can be implemented as button in top left menu (behind 3 dots) that will cycle between showing stock values and after applying all techs you researched.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
b2198

Post by b2198 »

I agree with all 5 points.
Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:28 pm
could be, but dangerous, if anything i miss to check - the use can manipulate in enemy turn - so needs good teting after i make it.
I can volunteer to test it too.
Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:32 pm

this is not so clear as:
I think they meant only changes to max hp, not current hp, so if unit loses hp by damage it would be the same as current, but if their hp is increased, it could show as something like 30/50+10 (60).
Stratego (dev) wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:33 pm

i am not sure this is a good approach - that in-game help is the "general help" that is not related to the running game at all.
I think they meant making the production unit info (the one that shows when you longpress a unit when in a production window) different from the help unit info (the one that shows when you press a unit in the help->units window), so that the production unit info applies researched techs to the units it shows.
Stratego (dev) wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:14 am i dont think that hard, (i just need to run the apply all techs to unit logic on a fake sample unit or something.)
And in this case the player would go to the help unit info.
Stratego (dev) wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:16 am
Vulkan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:44 pm

i presume you mean only the non-revealed matches. as on revealed ones you see everything

i can make it without tech too... if on checking visibility the died person sees all its allies view hardcoded.

not sure it is a good base for exploits (first i thought to see everything but that would be definitely exploit)
I mean, there isn't any bigger of an exploit than sharing screenshots of the game with your allies as far as I can see, and even that isn't really what I'd call an exploit. Also, by the point a player is dead, the remaining ones are likely to already have writing, and the possibility of that happening in case they don't would only apply in a match with at least 3 players in the same team.
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

remark: #1 and #2 is already like that on Unity version.

(you can even write message - that will be lost when your turn comes though)
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

#1 and #2 is ready in android version

uos in AOF already for testing.

@Vulkan

@b2198
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

#3 also ready

uos already
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Already? o.O

Also can you add it to AoS dev version too, please?
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

actually @Endru1241 has the pack, another change (aura change) required converting 20-30 jsons, and endru said he wants to.

so the only way if i convert my version too so u can test - i can do it though.

also can u help in aura testing to Vulcan (Lucifer) ?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok #5 is also ready - i have not tested though.

also a "visuality refresh" (not the multiplayer refresh button, but eg. by moving a unit) should be runned WITH THIS VERSION! so if u test it please test with somone also having the same dev version!

uos already in AOF.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok i have just built all into AOS too.

about Aura changes please ask Vulcan/Lucifer - thanks!

so now
- and the Aura change (to able to target caster itself)

is uos already in AOS and AOF.

Return to “Others”