Train Depot ANSERED

Dahdee

Train Depot ANSERED

Post by Dahdee »

I propose we create a train depot building.

Trains require maintenance and facilities for loading/unloading cargo.

For the sake of realism, I suggest trains only be allowed to embark/disembark units at depots and cities. Infantry would be an exception to this rule. The rationale of this proposal is men can climb onto and off of a rail car, where a tank or artillery piece cannot levitate itself up onto a train car, nor could it just fall off without damage.

I suggest train depots be not bound to Tc count, as they will not produce anything.
DreJaDe

Re: Train Depot

Post by DreJaDe »

Dahdee wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:06 am I propose we create a train depot building.

Trains require maintenance and facilities for loading/unloading cargo.

For the sake of realism, I suggest trains only be allowed to embark/disembark units at depots and cities. Infantry would be an exception to this rule. The rationale of this proposal is men can climb onto and off of a rail car, where a tank or artillery piece cannot levitate itself up onto a train car, nor could it just fall off without damage.

I suggest train depots be not bound to Tc count, as they will not produce anything.
I mean... Simple ramp would do the trick anywhere.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

if it is not needed some balance vise, i would not do this restriction, for the favor of easier logistics in game.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

DreJaDe wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:47 am I mean... Simple ramp would do the trick anywhere.
:lol: yes, hammer together some wooden pallets, and drive your 55 ton tiger tank up it. Or a ratte. Yes a simple ramp does the trick anywhere.
Stratego (dev) wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:24 am if it is not needed some balance vise, i would not do this restriction, for the favor of easier logistics in game.
Ok, that is a sensible reason. I don't believe it would be any greater a restriction than needing to build an airfield, but ok. I know micro management is not what you're looking for here. It's realism. If it's restricting because you can't unload your train because the depot is destroyed...well that's totally one hundred percent correct.

If I recall my history correctly, this was an enormous obstacle for the German army. Apparently simple ramps didn't do the trick for the German army or it wouldn't have mattered the allies kept destroying rail stations as fast as they could be repaired.

If you come across any photos of 50+ ton tanks driving up onto a train with a quickly prepared makeshift ramp, please PM me a link! :D
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Dahdee wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:26 pm :lol: yes, hammer together some wooden pallets, and drive your 55 ton tiger tank up it. Or a ratte. Yes a simple ramp does the trick anywhere.
Wait... So you know about it?

Also, unloading doesn't even need ramps in an emergency... I mean. They were supposed to cross trenches you know.

There are even many vids of soviet MBTs doing this.

Also, im not sure if ratte fits in rails but it shouldnt... Thats just OP. And doesnt make sense.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

DreJaDe wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:47 pm Also, im not sure if ratte fits in rails but it shouldnt... Thats just OP. And doesnt make sense.
If you see that doesn't make sense, and is just OP, it tells me your mind may unconsciously see my point. It's not just a ratte. What about karl great? Tiger 2. Elefant....etc

When you say Soviet MBT, I think of a more modern tank with modern suspension of 50s to 70s technology...is that correct? If I'm wrong, I apologize, but it's just what pops in my mind when I read "Soviet MBT", as that's really kind of a post WW2 term for the most part.

And if that's the case, it's not really what I'm talking about.
Dahdee

Re: Train Depot ANSERED

Post by Dahdee »

Also, I would like to say I have much less of a problem with the idea of driving a tank off a rail car, than I do of having it get up there on the car. That is why I said embark/disembark.

Frankly DreJaDe, I'm surprised to hear you push back on this.

I can't think of many who have put as much personal effort into realism in the development of units in this game as you have. I say that with pure respect.

I do believe this is something that will be exploited. Please keep my suggestion in mind later if it becomes a balancing issue we can all agree on, as this would be an easy fix.
DreJaDe

Re: Train Depot ANSERED

Post by DreJaDe »

Dahdee wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:46 pm Also, I would like to say I have much less of a problem with the idea of driving a tank off a rail car, than I do of having it get up there on the car. That is why I said embark/disembark.

Frankly DreJaDe, I'm surprised to hear you push back on this.

I can't think of many who have put as much personal effort into realism in the development of units in this game as you have. I say that with pure respect.

I do believe this is something that will be exploited. Please keep my suggestion in mind later if it becomes a balancing issue we can all agree on, as this would be an easy fix.
Well, cause its not really "unrealistic" anyway.

Its me who dont understand how youre not getting this... If tanks cant load/unload almost anywhere and will always require special facility as you're pushing... Wouldn't that be such a big weakness that can be exploited considering most of them are always transported by trains?
Dahdee wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:17 pm When you say Soviet MBT, I think of a more modern tank with modern suspension of 50s to 70s technology...is that correct? If I'm wrong, I apologize, but it's just what pops in my mind when I read "Soviet MBT", as that's really kind of a post WW2 term for the most part.
You're pushing it
Its just an example as per weight since you used ratte and 50 tons tanks as your example even though... Anyway... Just look for it if you want. Its not that hard. T54 is also from 1946... Not that long from ww2.

It will definitely be abused.... But if it requires rails anyway. It should be predictable and only in the long run.

Return to “Implemented/Closed ones”