Guerilla bonus is against [Building], while most other units' is against [Structure] ANSWERED

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
b2198

Guerilla bonus is against [Building], while most other units' is against [Structure] ANSWERED

Post by b2198 »

I'm not sure if that's intended, so I'm posting here. That makes them not deal extra damage to things like palisade walls, stone walls, watchtowers, bridges, frisian horses and traps, which I think might go against their purpose, as that makes workers really good at stopping them with improvised defenses at all points in the game. Was that meant to be the case?

Most other melee units that have just a single bonus against things like those have it against [Structure], so that's my main point in thinking that's unintended. Examples: Foot Knight line, Legionary, Huskarl, Light Hoplite, Spartan Hoplite, Praetorian.
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
Endru1241

Re: Guerilla bonus is against [Building], while most other units' is against [Structure]

Post by Endru1241 »

It was intended.
Any kind of skirmishing, guerilla tactics was stopped by preparation.

Well - they could get some bonus for balance reasons, but the idea of why infantry has bonus against any structures is ability to:
- have basic anti siege equipment or ability to get, construct it. E.g. ladders, ropes
- have ability to easily go into buildings to take over or destroy from inside or simply kill off all people making it actually work.
- have tools and possibility (e.g. enough manpower) to deconstruct, attack at vulnerable points, e.g. dig under, take lower parts bricks etc.
From all that come bonuses to structures (anything stationary, that is mainly man made and can be dismantled), buildings (things that represent some sort of infrastructure, but also economical power, working people etc.), fortifications (man made things dedicated as defences).
Guerillas wouldn't have full capability of working against all that, lacking equipement and manpower. Also often lacking supplies.
They were intended to be used as a counter to skirmishers, archers in the woods or against unprepared backlines.
Age of Strategy design leader
b2198

Re: Guerilla bonus is against [Building], while most other units' is against [Structure]

Post by b2198 »

Hm, that makes sense, fair enough.
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".

Return to “Unit balancing”