AI player does not build bridges IMPLEMENTED

warlock

AI player does not build bridges IMPLEMENTED

Post by warlock »

Apologies if this post belongs in another thread.

The AI does not build bridges. This significantly limits its potential. I expect this is inherited from the underlying Age of Strategy engine. Is there a plan to address? Is the issue lack of an algorithm, lack of programming time, or expected computational complexity?

My observation of the AI is that it has two basic goals. Take nearest city, and build local base. Bridge building could be added as an action supporting the take nearest city goal.
Midonik

Re: AI player does not build bridges

Post by Midonik »

If they don't do it in other variants as well then this is a core issue so it should be elsewhere.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
Puppeteer12

Post by Puppeteer12 »

I think aos can do that without any problem. Other variants can't do that.
A master of puppetry and manipulation, working from the shadows.
warlock

Post by warlock »

I have played Age of Fantasy and Age of World Wars. Always against the AI. I do not recall the AI building any bridges.
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Hey folks, we have recently had some new bridge building logic introduced in AoS - not sure exactly what it does, but I know someone who does (@b2198) - perhaps that might solve things on your side if it was brought in
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Hm, I don't know where it's being used or not, but I've made a small code to tell bots in AoS where to build bridges/shipyards to connect TCs they own/they want to capture. Theoretically, if AoG has both bridges and shipyards, and works similarly to AoS in regards to water, it should work in there too if applied.

@Stratego Is that code being used in AoG too?
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

only aos has it (as being under testing).
b2198

Post by b2198 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:06 am only aos has it (as being under testing).
Fair enough.
warlock wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:51 pm Apologies if this post belongs in another thread.

The AI does not build bridges. This significantly limits its potential. I expect this is inherited from the underlying Age of Strategy engine. Is there a plan to address? Is the issue lack of an algorithm, lack of programming time, or expected computational complexity?

My observation of the AI is that it has two basic goals. Take nearest city, and build local base. Bridge building could be added as an action supporting the take nearest city goal.
So, I suppose it will get added in AoG when that code gets more stable and is properly tested (as it's only in AoS since version 1.149, and if I'm not mistaken, the first not-as-bad version only got added in 1.151, and we're in 1.152/1.153dev right now).
Green is the correct color, other colors are "less correct".
warlock

Post by warlock »

All. Thank you for the responses, they were very informative. I am happy to see that there are developments in progress and hope these will be successful. Again, many thanks to the devs.

Return to “Archive”