Ranger

MrLich

Re: Hunter

Post by MrLich »

I think its better as ranged only, invisibility is a skarn thing, and a invisible trap maker would be tad too unfair, as for trap, 20 or 30 dmg and just slowing seem better(as for the name, trapper isnt too great, tracker seems tad better)
diesel

Post by diesel »

what i was thinking about hunting lodge - skarn is a reactive/offensive unit, covers melee & range

a good compliment is a proactive/defensive unit - if it gets range, then weak stats bc that not the purpose, melee alone works imo

its too much like skarn with traps - needs variety:

- lays & detects traps
- good sight, good speed, low armor
- maybe laborer (repair) abils? build watchtower?
- definitely big bonus against animals

all units from lodge should get some kind of camo, not invis like assassin - better is hidden when no action is taken

i like traps causing slow or bleed, stronger just meant better than 10

i only use lodge as costly tunnel on rare occasions - but itd be fun early/midgame if i had skarn, a trap layer, and the 2 scouts available as my wilderness outpost ha ha. i like the building but the least useful for humans. would love to see some additions!
diesel

Post by diesel »

since its aof, give a tech that allows upgrade to enchanted traps that can debuff or prevent casting
MrLich

Post by MrLich »

Skarn is offensive only thanks to invisibility, without it nobody would attack with it, the same applies for this unit, its not that great in full offence, as enemy sees it, but still can get baited into a bear trap
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Merged with ranger.

Concept idea is veeeery similar to that unit (with few changes).
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
MrLich

Re: Ranger

Post by MrLich »

I dont know the diffirences that much, as i lack insight into all planned units and stuff, but ok
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

1. Dual wielding unit
2. Forestwalk
3. Anti-animal unit
4. Aimed shot (ranger has similar ability proposed)
5. Not invisible

That is why.

Here are old (prior to upscale) stats for ranger:
Alexander82 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:19 pm About stats i'd say:
Cost 8
HP 30
Attack (melee) 12
Attack (ranged) 8
Range (melee) 1
Range (Ranged) 5
Armor 3
Pierce Armor 3
Speed 4
Sight 8
Action 2
Heal Rate 6
Spell Resistance 80%
Active skills:
Switch stance (used to swith melee with ranged mode, it doesn't cost an action point)
Heal
Entangle (debuff, aoe, enemy units affected have to pass a check with that % 100-(target attack*5), if they don't pass the check they can't move until the next turn (they can still attack))
Regeneration (range 2, duration 4, doesn't stack, the effect heal half the ranger heal rate every turn)
Hawkeye (buff, range 2,duration 4, increase target range (ranged units only) by 2
Summon Animal companion (like druid wolf summon, but we might think of a different animal)
Forestwalk
Built at Archery range, Barracks, Castle (it is both melee and ranged and it is an elite unit)
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
MrLich

Post by MrLich »

I feel like old version is way too good of utility unit, a healer, good ranged, summons stuff, and some less useful things, but dunno
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Only things for sure that this unit will keep is dual weapons, anti-animal bonus and forestwalk.

Everything else is under discussion BUT after we will implement 2 other units:
Partisan — 3 turn cost basic (tc) unit who can change between melee and bow;
Barbarian — costly unit for hunter's lodge.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
MrLich

Post by MrLich »

So humans will have their own berzerker as well, interesting
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

It was accepted loooooooong ago. Just we had not ability to implement firstly and than no time to implement properly with updated balance.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
MrLich

Post by MrLich »

I dont have an issue with it, in fact humans might use some more offence oriented units, only hope humans wouldnt end up as the race with counters against everything faction
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

But humals already are a race with counter against all other races. One way or another.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
MrLich

Post by MrLich »

They have plenty of options to choose from, but there isnt a anti caster unit yet, so theyre safe from now, animals are also safe by the time being, dunno if there are some dragonslayers planned
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Light cavalry has anti-caster bonuses. 100% to them.

And humans have best flying cav in whole game — pegasus riders.

Light cavalry also has 25% bonus to animals.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
MrLich

Post by MrLich »

I mean bonuses aint everything, nobody will charge with casters on the frontline,to fight melle with horses, and there are diffirent kind of casters, like elven mage for example
MrLich

Post by MrLich »

Overall it isnt that hard to cover your casters with tanks, melee and ranged support, and they can always run away in case frontline is collapsing
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Warfell pegasus under double strike and merciless thrust has speed 11 and 2 ridicilously dangerous attacks.

Archers and crossbowmen also now have bonus to casters and workers by the way. These two types of units in most cases are falling into archer bonused categories:
Non-shielded, non-thrower, non-shooter, non-giant foot.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
MrLich

Post by MrLich »

Ornithoper has 10 spped by default, not exactly a counter against casters, the same applies to warfell pegasus
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Pegasus has bonus to casters specifically.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

makazuwr32 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:46 am Archers and crossbowmen also now have bonus to casters and workers by the way. These two types of units in most cases are falling into archer bonused categories:
Non-shielded, non-thrower, non-shooter, non-giant foot.
Also we have this.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
MrLich

Post by MrLich »

Like killing one caster and get pelted by arrows doesnt usually cut it,even if something is effective at killing stuff, theres always opponents turn
MrLich

Post by MrLich »

I guess usually casters are used as backline support, rather far from archers, and fast units
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Depending on map and on opponent.
Elves with range 11 and inside ents can reach casters of humans.

Humans also have for now for that battering rams (later this function will be transferred to elephant tower and imperial war chariot).
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
MrLich

Post by MrLich »

Ram isnt exactly a good anti caster option, can be easily blocked or just demolished, ents are definitely better, especially ents with elven mages or druids
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Ram can hold 3 units as opposed to 2 for ent, is cheaper, has when maxed speed 3, is almost immune to arrows and for now can hold shooters and archers as well.
Also later mechanical units specifically will be immune to regular magic type debuffs (slowing, disarmor) and will require their own variants to use instead.
(Physical type spells which will target different from spell resist characteristic like entangle will still work though)

Also ram is not an option on its own but as combination with for example human archers or with human adepts.
Last one is my favourite.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
MrLich

Post by MrLich »

Also units that you put inside matter, a ent with 2 elven mages is a solid siege combo, or a wall maker, overall they both are great

Return to “Human”