Artillery needs change - pack/unpack?

Things that did not fit to the other parts
DreJaDe

Artillery needs change - pack/unpack?

Post by DreJaDe »

Artillery is so underpowered in this game. Its damage to infantry is minimal and doesn't even have the range that would make it secure. With just 4 range an infantry could easily kill it in 1turn.

My suggestion is to either increase their damage to inf to make it atleast a good choice other than inf or change its range to normally 5 to outrange the infantry by atleast a tile.

Also, to remove it's uncertain hits. I remember that ground per tile is 1km atleast so I don't see why they have that much error in calculating where it will land.

@Stratego (dev)
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Artillery needs change

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i am not sure: was artillery good against infantry?
@Jasondunkel please advise - thanks!
Shark guy 35

Post by Shark guy 35 »

What kind? Mobile or fixed?
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week".
-General George S. Patton
Jasondunkel

Post by Jasondunkel »

DreJaDe wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:40 am Artillery is so underpowered in this game. Its damage to infantry is minimal and doesn't even have the range that would make it secure. With just 4 range an infantry could easily kill it in 1turn.

My suggestion is to either increase their damage to inf to make it atleast a good choice other than inf or change its range to normally 5 to outrange the infantry by atleast a tile.

Also, to remove it's uncertain hits. I remember that ground per tile is 1km atleast so I don't see why they have that much error in calculating where it will land.

@Stratego (dev)
yes the artillery is still weak here. but these are the initial units, whereas the usa with its 105mm was already a better field howitzer. there should be more units, because the germans for example have an artillery gun which had an incredible range of 39 km. and it was a mobile unit with extra transport vehicles.
of course artillery guns are good against infantry and buildings. with dirkten hits are certainly also effective with tanks, but that should certainly not happen so often.
with the speed of the units we have a little problem. infantry units that have a range of four fields and transporters that only have a range of five fields are a little unbalanced.
So maybe we should reduce the speed of the infantry to max 3, set the range of the simple artillery to 4-5 fields high. The consequence of this is that the artillery with a bigger range will have up to 10 fields. also the effect of the artillery on infantry and buildings should be increased.
Harchie Hirondo

Post by Harchie Hirondo »

But wouldn't changing the speed of infantry affect other maps? So what I'd like to suggest is to increase the damage of artillery to infantry and building, and make its speed 2-3 tiles. Also, shouldn't the accuracy of ranged units be increased the nearer it is to the unit?
The war is inevitable! But what if....
Jasondunkel

Post by Jasondunkel »

Harchie Hirondo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:01 pm But wouldn't changing the speed of infantry affect other maps? So what I'd like to suggest is to increase the damage of artillery to infantry and building, and make its speed 2-3 tiles. Also, shouldn't the accuracy of ranged units be increased the nearer it is to the unit?
if i understand you correctly, you also say that the speed of the infantry should only be 2-3 fields, which would slow them down. because many units have a speed of 4 fields or do you want to make it faster so plus 2-3 fields to the current speed?
Harchie Hirondo

Post by Harchie Hirondo »

Clarification: I'd like to suggest that the speed of artillery be increased to 2-3 tiles whereas the speed of infantry shall remain the same
The war is inevitable! But what if....
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

we can make artillery "packable" and packed it can have 4-6 movement as the tranport van.
Jasondunkel

Post by Jasondunkel »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:44 am we can make artillery "packable" and packed it can have 4-6 movement as the tranport van.
to make the artillery packable would be a good solution, as it corresponds to reality for the larger units. they often had mobile bases from which they were loaded and unloaded. the initial artillery units could simply be attached to a truck.
i would guess that the packing variant is similar to the flak 88. if it is converted to anti-tank it needs a round
Shark guy 35

Re: Artillery needs change - pack/unpack?

Post by Shark guy 35 »

I disagree. We already have transport trucks.
Jasondunkel

Post by Jasondunkel »

Shark guy 35 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:54 pm I disagree. We already have transport trucks.
for the initial weapons the trucks would be enough, for the later ones they would not be enough

see the artillery list at guns
Shark guy 35

Post by Shark guy 35 »

Why is it not enough? Though I agree that we should increase their damage against infantry. If the mortars that infantry use can kill another infantry unit in one shot, so should the much larger artillery units
Jasondunkel

Post by Jasondunkel »

You could give the artiller cannons a first strike when the infantry attacks, but this first strike would only be half of their attack power
Shark guy 35

Post by Shark guy 35 »

That sounds good. So they can stop being annihilated as soon as infantry gets close
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

First strike is the same as counter power.
OLÉ
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

First of pls no pack and unpack version. It's not needed for there are already trucks. In really life they are indeed setup first but so do mgs.

Next is pls consider the range. It should outrange infantry. Reason is that is their real purpose. To attack and not to be attacked first.

They don't need first strike and counter for they are artillery.
Jasondunkel

Post by Jasondunkel »

DreJaDe wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:56 am First of pls no pack and unpack version. It's not needed for there are already trucks. In really life they are indeed setup first but so do mgs.

Next is pls consider the range. It should outrange infantry. Reason is that is their real purpose. To attack and not to be attacked first.

They don't need first strike and counter for they are artillery.
I'd vote for a little counterattack.
the range bonus is good, but can be quickly switched off by trucks and infantry units.
Otherwise you could add another truck to the game to transport the heavy artillery units which can still carry an infantry unit.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I'm kinda leaning more towards bonus damage increase against infantry.

And also taking the 2nd action away from fixed artillery to make it work.

Decrease in miss chance could also work.
OLÉ

Return to “Others”