Group waypoints - marching in a row issue IMPLEMENTED

kipar

Group waypoints - marching in a row issue IMPLEMENTED

Post by kipar »

Hi all! That's a great game, but the way waypoints following is implemented is awful.
If you select a square group of units and set them a waypoint, they will move there in a single column, losing a lot of time due to first moved units blocks others and being very vulnerable to enemies in process of transportation. So for more optimal motion you have to set a waypoint for every unit in group ofsetting it relative to current position.
It would be great if this can be done automatically - you select the group of unit, set them a waypoint and instead of setting the same waypoint to every member of group (current behavior) they all have different waypoints, depending on their current position, so they will move to the target in parralel.
Even better solution would be better algorithm of following to waypoint, algorithm that takes into account other units, prevents crowding and moving in one line, but i understand it is harder to implement (it seems somewhat easier for the diagonal movement, but i agree that orthogonal movement have some flavor).
James.v

Re: Group waypoints

Post by James.v »

I agree, the waypoint should be improved, now playing maps where you need to move many units is very annoying and time consuming.
draakjee

Post by draakjee »

Another idea to make it less time consuming:

Make a new option to let the AI finish your turn. Because the AI is always going to the enemy. And never in a row/collumn (as far as i know).
So you just make the strategic movements on the front, and than click on a button so all your units that are not yet on the front will move and maybe attack if that's necessary...

Of course this option can be misused: Some players will only use this option and won't do anything on their own. So this AI shouldn't be hard, but light/weak.
Azteca

Post by Azteca »

Sure is time consuming i basically move every unit one by one.
87mav

Post by 87mav »

I agree the group waypoint moving doesn't work very well in a group. However it does OK for units moving away from a TC or other production building. What I think would be beneficial is some way of distinguishing between units that are moving automatically from a waypoint and those that are not. This could be done by putting a small red flag in the corner of the unit's icon. Then you'd know that that one doesn't noted to be moved.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

this is a bug of movement algorithm, so i moved it into the issues section.
patroid

Re: Group waypoints - marching in a row issue

Post by patroid »

Hi i have the same problem in a rts i am making, i be near to a solution.
I do something like sqrt (number of selected units) and then they move to a grid around the
Destination point and then if possible to the aim...

The gride is as ride as the result of the sqrt of the number of selected units.

Patroid
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i could not solve it on my last attempt because of my limited time, i will try again :)
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

This is exactly why I never use waypoints. The AI can be kinda stupid moving any armies larger than 2 units.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
balint

Post by balint »

yes. I prefer to place them where I want, because the ai is not paranoic like me :(
I mainly end my turn expecting an army pop out of nowhere :)
This is Hungary and winter is coming.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

it is fixed to a better version a few weeks ago - please check.

Return to “Solved/Answered”