spear thrower

Badnorth

Re: spear thrower

Post by Badnorth »

L4cus wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:53 am
QuadrupoleStrat wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:32 pm
L4cus wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:17 pm i also found about: elphant-slaying arrows
I think they will be unused because of the high conversion chance the converters have imo.
idk exactly what u mean. these arrows were used to pierce elphants skins and armor. the shape of the arrows made them hard to draw hurting the animal.
I mean it will be unused if put because the converters are already the high weaknesses of an elephant...Well maybe a black smith upgrade would be nice for archers.

How about the spearhead? We could also make the spearhead of the spear thrower be exactly like the elephant slaying arrows..so it could be instead an elephant slayer instead of a cavalry slayer like you said.. :?:
L4cus wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:25 pm actually, at ancient warfaer, there were units speciallized in fighting elephants, shooting at the eyes, hurting their legs, using spike shields and seting them at the floor that way elephants hurts their feets, or killing the elephant crew. Even the roman army had used some of these troops, but i am not sure if they were as effctive against cavalry, or if they were spear trowers.
there was a variant of the pikemen with those spike shields, and spike helmet too, used against elephants.
also, now that i am reading about this topic, elephants are afraid of fire and smoke. maybe an aura that nerfs elephants? units with torches should be able to get that. its just an idea, and i dont think is viable at all. maybe elephants unaffected by camel fear but affected but fire fear would be great.

this unit sohuld be an anti elephant instead of anti-mounted unit. anyway, thats my opinion
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

**Sprite rework**
Attachments
unit_spear_thrower.png
unit_spear_thrower.png (1.35 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

So a skirmisher 2.0?
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
L4cus

Post by L4cus »

skirmishers lready have bonus against mounted
i think "fire fear" plus a melee anti-elephant unit would be great. also, reducing spearman line bonus v elephant. elephants were harder to defeat than cavalry, even for polearm wielder...in summary, a total rebalance of units...
this is my suggestion, maybe is too ambitious...just a suggestion...
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus...
AOD, a new variant...
viewforum.php?f=230
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Well, one does not go head on againt an elephant with a single spear, so idk if a new melee should be made for that, for now i think that part is ok, i guess the issue is how to slow down the elephants, a skirmisher with improved bonus vs big monts should work to kill them, but i believe a hole big enough can be way more effective againt it. For one side, you have a furious elephant that might be bleeding with your spears, for the other it is stuck down on the hole, probably with the legs broken... Just imagine how hard should be to recover one from there... We need more traps!
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
ProtectorLordGarmin

Post by ProtectorLordGarmin »

He means that most people would favour converting elephants to their side instead of killing them.
Leader of the Aegis Protectorate, the proud Defenders of Ambidia! If you would like some heavy protection, we can do some mercenary work... but such elite warriors come with an elite price.

Return to “Unit - ranged (like archers)”