Way of getting GEMs - random games

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Way of getting GEMs - random games

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Some suggested to have gems for random maps
(would also help in AOF too, so we dont need that much campaign maps to launch to be able to get the gems for the upgrades)

so i think i will do it i only need suggestions how to make sure someone does not make fake games eg: making a setup where in a few turn he will win without really playing - like: 5 vs 1 where the 5 is the humanplayer with 4 AI against 1 AI.

an i also need suggestions on how many gems to give on what results. (some mentioned about the "harder opponents - more gems" way of thinking that is like - but we need to be specific with this idea) - so this was like if u beat 5 AI that was in a team than you get more than you beat only 1 AI (if u even get any for this easy setup)
Alexander82

Re: Way of getting GEMs - random games

Post by Alexander82 »

Just make some sort of point prizes
You already have a way to calculate who's winning, maybe every 1000 points you have at the end of a random map you get a gem

If you think it's too much you might also make a double requirements made in both turns and points

1000 points and 10 turns 1 gem
2000 points and 20 turns 2 gems
and so on
Age of Fantasy design leader
ollie444

Post by ollie444 »

Amount of enemies (e)/amount of players on your team(p). Times by square root of the area of map (a) over amount of turns used(t)* equals reward in gems

* Add 1/4 to this if starting game with "all techs" ticked.

So:
(e/p)*(a/t) (rounded down) = gem amount

So you and 4 AI vs 1 AI on a 20/20 map, with 10 turns, would give 2/5, so 0. It would have to be beaten in 4 turns or less, which would be a tough feat, to gain the one gem.
An average match, would be say you and 1 AI vs 3 AI, on a 30/30 map. To gain a gem, you you have to complete it in 45 turns, about as hard, I'd say, of completing a campaign map, if not harder.
To gain 3, you'd have to complete it in 15 turns, an extraordinary feat, but still possible. Remember, it should be harder than campaign maps, not easier, to encourage people to try the campaigns, and these can be repeated anyway.
If you think about it, it gets easier the larger the size of map used. This is good, as these maps would take longer, so require more effort.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

I read it through a few times, and it seems good. It gives good amounts.
Would you mind explaining why you chose to use the square root size of the map?
Thanks!
Josh
ollie444

Post by ollie444 »

Makes it easier I guess. Just imagine a square map 20 by 20, instead of like 40 by 10 or something. If you tried to figure out a fair way with the area of maps, it would be complex.
ollie444

Post by ollie444 »

You can simplify as:
ea / pt
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Oh, ok.
What about the 1/4 value for "All Techs"? Is that the amount of turns it would take to research the techs as opposed to the full game?
Thanks!
Josh
ollie444

Post by ollie444 »

Just a rough thing, as All techs can reduce amount of turns in a game.
RiverRaider 1097

Post by RiverRaider 1097 »

I like the idea of winning (or losing) gems in random game play, 'if done honestly' would be a great alternative to acquiring them. Playing for gems in a bet game was a great idea, my preferred way of getting them. But I would play more random games if this was implemented for sure.! )
and remember,wherever your at,there you are
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

You could also give some gems from a daily "share on facebook" button
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i already giving those gems.
RiverRaider 1097

Yeah I'm tapped out on getting gems that way along time ago. I'm not much of a Facebook type of guy
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I know that but most of the games you can find on the play store or on facebook give an easy way to post and share with just one click and automatically gives you the rewards.
If you make random games able to give some gems you can allow more lightly to receive gems from facebook
Just place a more visible button on the main menu like "share and get gems" and with a simple click it create a post with some images of the game and some well chosen words.
It'll make the game much more popular (that i assume it's a good thing for you).
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

yes, good idea, and i will look for that how can a developer do that.
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

I don't really see why we should bother with the whole "dont let them get free gems" thing.

If someone is going to cheat, they are just going to do it through multiplayer, as the topic has been brought up before. I say let them cheat, they are just missing out on a lot of intense betting :)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

"share and get gems"
the first version of this is implemented - however it is a little plain that is currently shared (only the app name and a link to the app "event")
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Great!
RiverRaider 1097

I don't understand what does that this mean, I just tried playing a random bet game against AI hard and it said only in multiplayer games. What kind of random bet games are you talking about?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

that is not ready - the "offtopic" facebook sharing is ready.
RiverRaider 1097

OH,OK Thanks Daniel
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

Out of curiosity, what is the status of this topic? Gems are hard to come by in AOF, and I'm not much of a social Media guru to do daily posts on.
The glorious sun rises again
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

I don't do math, so I'm going to keep it as simple as possible:
15-30x15-30 maps give 1 gem; 31-49x31-49 maps give 3 gems; anything larger gives 5.

Add a qualifier (in the code) stating there must be equal number of players or more AI on the opposing team to award gems, otherwise, no awards.

For every 1,000 points, add 1 gem. For every 20 turns, add one gem.
For every +1 AI to human (3v2 @ +1; 4v2 @ +2, etc), add 1 gem.

A 40 turn game on a 20x20 map award base 3 gems, with a final score of 5,000 equals 8 gems against 3 AI vs 2 humans equals 9 gems. Almost the reward for a FB share. Adjust rewards as you please.
ollie444

Post by ollie444 »

That's the idea, although you can simplify it. For example your method doesn't take into account rectangular maps.
My solution is ea/pt
See above for explanation.
The more enemies and larger map, more gems.
The more allies and time, less gems.
Also, the amount of gems for average size of numbers goes up as a square (basically, the bigger each number is, the easier it is to get gems)
This means on large maps (where they are much longer games), there will be an incentive.
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

I think it should be like this:
1) You get 1 gem for every 2000points
2) You can get bonus gems if you have more enemies than your team. [Amount of your team] - [Amount of enemies] = amount of bonus gems. If the result is a negative number you will get -1 gem from your award for winning the random game.
3) You get extra gems for winning quickly:
a) on a map same or less than 30×30 you will get 1 more gem if you win in 25 turns.
b) on a map bigger than 30×30 you will get 1 more gem if you win in 30 turns.
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

I'm not sure if points are a good way to do it. That encourages taking longer to finish in order to flood the area with more units to increase score.
The glorious sun rises again
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Sunrise Samurai wrote:I'm not sure if points are a good way to do it. That encourages taking longer to finish in order to flood the area with more units to increase score.
I dissaprove of this idea because it implies a 5 minute game is worth as much as a 30 minute game
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Why not both? If we use time limit and points, they will balance each other out. And someone will be more likely to use short games than long games to "farm" GEMs if that's what we're worried about - so we can be more concerned about ways players can cheat to get GEMs quickly than taking forever to fill the maps with units.
Thanks!
Josh
lordtalamar

Post by lordtalamar »

I don't like the idea in general. I believe this game is already the most liberal in awarding gems of any game. Let the people that lose all games in multiplayer donate $ to earn gems. In fact maybe we should think of ways to spend m9re gems to make them more valuable. Maybe buying new maps for multiplayer mode and other high gem cost ideas....
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

+1 lordtalamar - I have more GEMs than Croesus. :) This game is like THE most liberal in this respect (thanks very much to Daniel who is super not-greedy). Even newbies can win more than enough GEMs in a few weeks with the campaigns.

But I also like that fact.

I think this is a good idea though - this way we have an unending well for GEMs whereas, theoretically, we can run out with the current system.

But soon (and very soon) we will have the map marketplace. Therefore: a way to earn infinity GEMs and an easy way to spend infinity GEMs. :)
Thanks!
Josh

Return to “Gameplay & UI”