tech: shield wall and joplite

balint

tech: shield wall and joplite

Post by balint »

shield wall: if 3 ore more units stands bext to each other they enter shield wal state. this incrase their armor and pierce armor by 4.

hoplite:
shield wall tech is required to build, shield wall incrase their attack and armour.
This is Hungary and winter is coming.
max-damage

Re: tech: shield wall and joplite

Post by max-damage »

Sounds cool, but it would probably work better as a (greek) phalanx...they wouldn't be able to do anything else while in formation, though, right? If they break formation, they'd all lose the buff...wouldn't it only apply to hoplites?
It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder if you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
balint

Post by balint »

no, because any troops can form up in a shield wall.
what avout this: shield wall gives 2 armor and 2 pierce armor, and then unlock the phalanx rech, which lets your hoplizes form up in a phalanx, so rhey gain 4 armor and 4 pierce armor and maaybe 1 power at thr cost of 1 movement.
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

4 is way too much...how about any (alike) units that form a shield wall get+1 on both armors, and after the tech, hoplites get a +2? That's still a big bonus without being out of control....
It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder if you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
balint

Post by balint »

what about 1 for the simple soldier, 2 with phalanx for them and 3 for hoplites?
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

3 is still pretty high for the hoplites, especially since their armor class is already high to begin with...let's see what someone else has to say about it...

And i would think the phalanx would be a unit-specific maneuver...it was created by ancient Greek militia, after all...
Last edited by max-damage on Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balint

Post by balint »

the hoplite I was talking abiut would be a new unit....
with quite low stats to begin with. the spartans only form up in a shield wall.
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

balint wrote:the hoplite I was talking abiut would be a new unit....
with quite low stats to begin with. the spartans only form up in a shield wall.
Oh, okay...if it's a new unit, you'll need to come up with a new name...hoplite has already been used...but that might work...
balint

Post by balint »

yes, but that is spartan.
spartans only used the shield wall (as I know it...)
this would be a good all rounder (good and bad in everything)
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

Still, to avoid confusion, the new unit would need a new name...it's hard enough to keep track of all the different units, already...especially on a battlefield with a couple of thousands units on it...like our last match...
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Why don't consider another mechanic?

When you research that skill any non-mounted unit armed with a shield receive a bonus to his armor equal to 0,5 for any other adiacent unit that satisfy the same requirements

Any unit receive at max a +2 max bonus to armor and you really need to put a real shield formation to receive a decent benefit (2 units just provide a 0,5 so they don't give any bonus)
Age of Fantasy design leader
The Pendulum

Unit tech: swordsman & (spartan) hoplite ability

Post by The Pendulum »

So, workers and healers both have secondary actions you can cycle through (building and healing respectively) and I was thinking, perhaps for the Men-at-arms as well as the spartan hoplites, if they could have another ability such as "shield wall" that would (for example) give an added armor (or pierce armor) bonus for that turn, therefore ending that units turn.

Of course, this night make them too strong, BUT, you could always add abilities to say, knights or chariots, like Cavalry Rush, to increase the damage bonus modifier by 'x' % towards man-at-arms or Spartans.

Thoughts?
COOLguy

Re: Unit tech: swordsman & (spartan) hoplite ability

Post by COOLguy »

This may be a repeat of viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1365
Thanks!
Josh
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

I definitely saw that post after I submitted mine. Sorry. Small text on Android makes me miss things!
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

No worries. Daniel will merge the two topics eventually.

Sometimes a search will help to see if the topic has been posted already (try a few different key words to check), but even then it is easy to miss things and double topics come up. :)
Thanks!
Josh
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

merged
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I think that now might be the right time to implement this tech:

At first we should decide if we want to make this skill affect any unit with a shield of if we prefer to make oplite affect other oplite and legionaries affect only legionaries.

I.e.

If we want the skill to affect any unit that equip a shield we might give a bonus of 0.1 armor and 0.2 pierce armor for any other unit in a range of 3 (image 1)

If we prefer to leave this skill only for historycal units i suggest to split it in 2 different skills:

Phalanx: This is a formation used in the ancient greece and it will mostly give armor (not pierce): Affecting units like the oplites, wich are costy, i believe that this skill should be focused to give is maximum effect with a few units. I think that the skill should provide +1 armor for any other oplite in a range of 1. Even though oplite are costy a bonus of 4 for the unit in the center (image 3) might be too much, so we might set a cap of +2 or +3 for the bonus or we might decide to make the bonus a straight +2 to armor regardless the number of oplites in range. I would give no bonus to pierce armor because oplite already have an high one and because in ancient greece the most of the battle was fought melee. We might think about an attack bonus, because a similar formation would help making counterattacks too enemies.

Testudo: This roman formation might provide mostly a good protection from arrows, Legionaries are cheaper than oplites so we might divide the bonus on a good amount of units. I think that we might use a range of 2 (image 2) and give a 0,5 bonus to pierce armor for any other legionary in range with a bonus cap of 2 and a 0,3 bonus to armor with a cap of 1. As for the oplites we might also think to give a bonus to damage.
Age of Fantasy design leader
benedictarnold

Phalanx

Post by benedictarnold »

It would be a cool effect if hoplites that are adjacent to one another get some kind of defense/attack boost.

My understanding of the hoplites fighting tactics is that they would primarily fight as a unit, in a formation known as a Phalanx. This allowed them to increase defense with a shield wall, and commit other troops primarily to offense (since they are behind the shield wall and well defended).

So maybe an attack/defense boost, or maybe the shield wall makes counter attacks impossible?

Something like that would make the hoplites a valuable unit. As it is now I never use them because they cost so much and can be defeated pretty easily by a knight or catapult.
COOLguy

Re: Phalanx

Post by COOLguy »

Please make sure that you check for topic threads before posting. I think that this is essentially a repeat of viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1365

It is a good idea, just be sure to avoid posting doubles.
Thanks!
Josh
benedictarnold

Re: Phalanx

Post by benedictarnold »

My bad, didn't search first. Newbie mistake!
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

(merged)
balint

Post by balint »

Daniel, would it be solveable what Alexander said?

Return to “Techs”