Adding Indian sub-continental races

Moderator: Endru1241

Post Reply
IRONBLASTER36
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:22 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Adding Indian sub-continental races

Post by IRONBLASTER36 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:46 pm

How about we add, Indian empires like Maurya dynasty, Marathas,etc. They were great warriors (especially Marathas). Note: they are not fantasy character but rather are real historical characters, so please be careful while depicting them. We can add the great Shivaji Maharaj. He was a great warrior and a great leader. You can read their history by surfing. We can even add the Mughal empire.

User avatar
Endru1241
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:43 am
Location: Poland

Re: Adding Indian sub-continental races

Post by Endru1241 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:21 am

Age of Strategy doesn't have races (empires) or any other distinction. In this game every player can build every unit (assuming he has upgrade item).
There is only idea of adding races.
If by adding empire You mean adding some specific historical character as unit for map editor - I'd rather not - adding new map editor only units is mainly done for experienced map creators, but in most cases using regular units with name and stats changed in map is better.

If You mean adding units which were used by those empires - give proper unit idea.

I'm gonna just say this: Any units known from Mughal empire aren't good, as it's just too late. AoS concentrates on ancient and medieval times. And Mughal was founded around year 1600. Well, maybe some units commanded by Babur could barely fit.
Marathas is even later, so out as well.

Mayura fits well, but main units known to be used by them (and feared) are war elephants and we already have 3 such units: War Elephants, Elephant Archers and Mahout (I know that to be historically correct all three of them should be joined to be one unit, but there is many cases like that : horse archers and light cavalry, knights and lancers etc. so we are not joining them).

IRONBLASTER36
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:22 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Re: Adding Indian sub-continental races

Post by IRONBLASTER36 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:47 pm

Endru1241 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:21 am
Age of Strategy doesn't have races (empires) or any other distinction. In this game every player can build every unit (assuming he has upgrade item).
There is only idea of adding races.
If by adding empire You mean adding some specific historical character as unit for map editor - I'd rather not - adding new map editor only units is mainly done for experienced map creators, but in most cases using regular units with name and stats changed in map is better.

If You mean adding units which were used by those empires - give proper unit idea.

I'm gonna just say this: Any units known from Mughal empire aren't good, as it's just too late. AoS concentrates on ancient and medieval times. And Mughal was founded around year 1600. Well, maybe some units commanded by Babur could barely fit.
Marathas is even later, so out as well.

Mayura fits well, but main units known to be used by them (and feared) are war elephants and we already have 3 such units: War Elephants, Elephant Archers and Mahout (I know that to be historically correct all three of them should be joined to be one unit, but there is many cases like that : horse archers and light cavalry, knights and lancers etc. so we are not joining them).
Maybe we can use them as skins?

User avatar
Endru1241
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:43 am
Location: Poland

Re: Adding Indian sub-continental races

Post by Endru1241 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:40 pm

If skins become a thing it would be great to have some. Indian subcontinent is big territory (almost a half of europe size) which always had quite dense population. I'm sure many interesting unknown to common european (like me) designs were used there. Maybe You'll learn pixel design design to introduce it to the game for many people to see. There are many good guides on the net how to start (2 click and already got one that describes it quite good (https://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Pixel-Artist).
On advice though - better train on 32x32 grid as it's used in the game most of the time.

IRONBLASTER36
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:22 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Re: Adding Indian sub-continental races

Post by IRONBLASTER36 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:17 am

Endru1241 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:40 pm
If skins become a thing it would be great to have some. Indian subcontinent is big territory (almost a half of europe size) which always had quite dense population. I'm sure many interesting unknown to common european (like me) designs were used there. Maybe You'll learn pixel design design to introduce it to the game for many people to see. There are many good guides on the net how to start (2 click and already got one that describes it quite good (https://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Pixel-Artist).
On advice though - better train on 32x32 grid as it's used in the game most of the time.
Thanks bro I really needed that, any video tutorial for pixly? Anyways, I think we have got to wait till we get confirmation from stratego, about how will he implement skins. Here's the link to it- http://www.ageofstrategy.net/viewtopic. ... ins#p91555
Well maybe we'll have to change some stats of some units I guess. Because few empires,tribes,groups, etc had their specialities. Eg: Marathas brought down the (that time, in the Indian sub-continent) mightiest Mughal by wonderfully using gurilla warfare even though they were largely outnumbered. And Mughals had the mastery of using siege machines, etc. So we'll have to give them some kinda bonus.

User avatar
Endru1241
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:43 am
Location: Poland

Re: Adding Indian sub-continental races

Post by Endru1241 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:20 pm

It's actually pretty far in the list, but there is also nations idea - my own view on that is main - cultural or technological groups (nordic, celtic, slavic, roman, steppe, egiptian, middle-eastern, indian, chinese etc.) - maybe even more aggregated, and descending from them receiving main units/techs nations/more precized cultural groups.
Maybe that one would also use Your suggestion.

About video tutorials - sorry, but it's really not my thing. I always prefer texted ones and I don't really know how to evaluate video tutorial.

IRONBLASTER36
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:22 pm
Location: Mumbai, India

Re: Adding Indian sub-continental races

Post by IRONBLASTER36 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:33 am

Endru1241 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:20 pm
It's actually pretty far in the list, but there is also nations idea - my own view on that is main - cultural or technological groups (nordic, celtic, slavic, roman, steppe, egiptian, middle-eastern, indian, chinese etc.) - maybe even more aggregated, and descending from them receiving main units/techs nations/more precized cultural groups.
Maybe that one would also use Your suggestion.

About video tutorials - sorry, but it's really not my thing. I always prefer texted ones and I don't really know how to evaluate video tutorial.
Thanks! Well we've tons of unit, it'll be a bit time consuming to classify but that would look nice and organized! Did stratego say anything about it?

Well I'm glad that you could understand by reading unfortunately I couldn't evaluate it that well, I evaluate faster with some audio-visual reference. I mean any kind of video you know or just came in your feed or something, can you just forward it to me? :)


Well I think these will not fit into the skins one, since if you read all posts on that topic closely, you'll notice he said he doesn't want to change stats of units. But to get that effect I guess we'll have to change some stats and abilities, but we can't hence we will go for making new units.

User avatar
Endru1241
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:43 am
Location: Poland

Re: Adding Indian sub-continental races

Post by Endru1241 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:12 pm

Engine is ready for nations, as there are already races in AoF and nations in AoW.
We just lack content to make them.
National bonuses could be made by techs - it's doable.
If You have some unique unit ideas, that would need abilities or especially different stats - please post them.

Post Reply

Return to “Unit - infantry”