Scottish Highlander IMPLEMENTED

DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Scottish Highlander IMPLEMENTED

Post by DoomCarrot »

Scottish Highlanders were Scots who originated from the highlands of Scotland. They were known as ferocious and incredibly brave warriors, and many highland tribes were very feared by the Picti, Irish, Welsh, Saxons, Angles, etc in ancient England. Their ancient warriors are most know for their rebellion against the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms in medieval Europe. They fought very bravely, and were known for gladly fighting to the death for a cause they believed in. They were naturally tough and strong from growing up in the unforgiving highlands.

Although they typically were a peaceful people, they became notoriously more fearsome and patriotic the more their livelyhoods were threatened.

My idea as far as stats go:

Cost: 4 (maybe 5 if you guys think this is OP)
HP: 20
Move: 3
Attack: 1
Armor: 0/0

SPECIAL For every point of damage they take, they gain +1 attack, So with 1 health left, they would have 20 attack power. I think it should be affected by infantry upgrades and sword mastery, as well as centurion boosts.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
COOLguy

Re: Scottish Highlander

Post by COOLguy »

FREEEEEEDOOOOOOOM! :)
Thanks!
Josh
RiverRaider 1097

Post by RiverRaider 1097 »

Awesome unit Doom, good job
and remember,wherever your at,there you are
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Cool!!!
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

DoomCarrot wrote:Scottish Highlanders were Scots who originated from the highlands of Scotland.
Lol that opener :lol:
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Dammit Hardeep, this is my one happy place where the quality of my writing isn't graded, and you just HAD to ruin it. :cry:

You evil, liberal propogandist, trying to push your agendas on everyone everywhere.
Last edited by DoomCarrot on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
LagitKiller

Post by LagitKiller »

Neat idea, but if you are facing a highlander on full health, can't you just not attack him? Since he would deal only one hp damage, if I were up against one, I would leave him alone, at least until I could wipe him out in a single turn.
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

I STAND FOR THE REPUBLIC DAMN YOU!
CLINTON FOR PRISON!
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Girls, girls - you're both pretty

Back on topic now
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Lol ok :lol:

I don't have access to my pc right now, but I can try to make a pixel image on my tablet. Other images are welcome to, since mine will probably be very bad :)
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Here is a very rough first draft. My app doesn't have the right team-coloring colors, and its not transparent, and its obviously not the greatest masterpiece, but its an idea.

Besides some obvious pose changes and a longer sword, how is this approach? Should it have more clothes?
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Looks like a cave man with a candy ;-) lol :lol: :D
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Lol, it is a nice start. I think it should have a little more clothes on because it looks as though it will fall off of him.

What color is the Scottish Tartan?
Last edited by COOLguy on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks!
Josh
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Is it red like this? This is what I had in mind when I heard "Highlander".

And why he needs more clothes - it is cold up there! ;)
Attachments
6263fa84922f290042f9ebb7e712984c.jpg
6263fa84922f290042f9ebb7e712984c.jpg (96.62 KiB) Viewed 5685 times
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Hmmm, I'll try to make another image today on my computer, if I don't finish it today it will have to wait for a while though.
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

DoomCarrot wrote: Cost: 4 (maybe 5 if you guys think this is OP)
Attack: 1

SPECIAL For every point of damage they take, they gain +1 attack, So with 1 health left, they would have 20 attack power. I think it should be affected by infantry upgrades and sword mastery, as well as centurion boosts.
Very cool idea but I dont think this will be used. Compared to a maceman (a similar high attack infantry unit)
STATS OF Maceman (only some stats):
Cost: 3
Attack: 17

I would rather build a maceman than a Scottish Highlander.
1) The armor/pierce armor, Hp and speed (move) is the same as the Maceman. But the maceman cost 3 turns while a Scottish Highlander costs 4.
2) Although the Scottish Highlander has 3 more attack (when it is at 1Hp) than a maceman the maceman attacks with 17 attack every time. A Scottish Highlander needs to be down to 1 hp. Also most likely it will be very hard to get your Scottish Highlander at 1Hp.

Solution (Just a suggestion):
1) Increase base damage (maybe 5?)
2) More health
3) Little armor (1 pierce armor?)
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

LagitKiller wrote:Neat idea, but if you are facing a highlander on full health, can't you just not attack him? Since he would deal only one hp damage, if I were up against one, I would leave him alone, at least until I could wipe him out in a single turn.
Ahh, never saw this reply, sorry.

I considered this before I posted the idea.

1. The Highlander could just attack other units to get injured
2. Thats kind of the point, don't anger them unless you havebto or have the strength to :)
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Yes, well, compared to the maceman, any foot unit is weak unless it has upgrades... That is why I think this unit should have upgrades

However, you are right he is a little weak, maybe:

Cost: 3(or 4)
Attack: 4 (affected by upgrades)
HP: 27
Armor: 0,0 (affetced by upgrades)

How is this? More useful with high HP, tougher, and a max 30 attack with no upgrades at 1 HP.
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

DoomCarrot wrote:Yes, well, compared to the maceman, any foot unit is weak unless it has upgrades... That is why I think this unit should have upgrades

However, you are right he is a little weak, maybe:

Cost: 3(or 4)
Attack: 4 (affected by upgrades)
Armor: 0,0 (affetced by upgrades)

How is this? More useful with high HP, tougher, and a max 30 attack with no upgrades at 1 HP.
I dont think special units should have upgrades. But the new stats look great :D (although I think it should be cost 4)
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Ok so final stats:

NOT AFFECTED BY UPGRADES:

Cost: 4
Attack: 4
Armor: 0
Pierce Armor: 1

And another draft: Image
team-coloring is on the sash and the shield. The sword looks weird to me still, perhaps a more "at ease" stance would be better?

EDIT: Image what about this?

EDIT: Another draft with shadows to make it less cartoonish Image
Last edited by DoomCarrot on Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

It a bit cartoonish. Btw, after the enlightment due to comparison with maceman, i feel it should have some pierce armour or armour(+1)(this will make him loose health slowly, making him more balanced. Say they are thick skinned? )

DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Hmm, well he already takes about 5 hits from a no upgrade archer because of his high hp. Pierce armor might make him a bit powerful, but I'll add it to the above stats, does anyone else have a say in this?
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Added a new image to the above post. Last image for now, any more edits will have to wait, because I won't have access to my pc for a while.
CelticWarrior

Post by CelticWarrior »

I think the Scottish highlander would be a great unit to add to the game. I like the idea of them doing more damage when they're on lower health. It would also be cool if you made them look like they had war paint on, like in Bravehart
lordtalamar

Post by lordtalamar »

When u say highlander I think of claymores and no armor so maybe an attack range of 2 instead of armor also the ability to sprint short distances fast even in uneven terrain so a movement of 4 instead of the normal email of footunit?
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Ok, so I'm working on a terrible pixel art app, so I'm not sure if the teamcoloring is right, and the image is not transparent, but here is another draft. I'm not a big fan of the claymore idea (because then the pierce armor makes no sense) But I'll give it a shot next.

Last edited by DoomCarrot on Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

There are 3 possibilities:
Either you my friend are a bad pixel artist(dont worry i am worse)
The pixel art app u are using is shit
else i am having serious vision problems :D :lol:

DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

It is a very bad app, and unfortunately I'm away from my computer for 2 weeks now. I was hoping that someone could just edit them with some touch ups. If it is an actual artistic problem, please tell me what the issues are, because I might be able to fix them on this end.
Also, I am a very bad pixel artist :lol:

As for the claymore, it really doesn't fit well on this image, as the sword doesn't have enough room to look like a claymore, and if I make it thinner he looks like a fencer. I would have to redo the concept, but here is a draft of cleaver-man for the laughs. :lol:

DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Ok, so I touched up the sword/shield image. Warpaint can be added. I think this one actually looks halfway decent. How is this?

Or this one with even more touch-ups+warpaint:

Last edited by DoomCarrot on Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Unit - melee infantry”