Greek Fire Siphon

TheBluePhoenix

Greek Fire Siphon

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

It is basically similar to fire arrows shooting units .the only differences:
The burn effect is stronger
It works only on humans
To seperate it from poison arrows, it should like ballista have area damage without researching the tech
It should cost 4+
Wat say?
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

ejm29

Re: flamethrower

Post by ejm29 »

It sounds good, but the name should probably be changed, as "flamethrower" seems a little to modern in my opinion :)
"I don't care who I have to step on on my way down."
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

What do u suggest? Fire breather?? :D :lol:
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Is that am historical unit? Otherwise i would see it better for the fantasy version
Age of Fantasy design leader
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Yes they are historic ones. Used in persian and indian armies. Filled fuel in their mouths and spat it through a torch which lit the fuel. I will try to find an image. Also there is nothing in this unit which is impractical or fantastical. It is realistic and fit for aos

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Are the people doing the spitting? If so then I am against the idea: too fantasy and un-AoS.

But I am familiar with naphtha incendiary launchers used by Persians. (similar to Greek fire launchers and siphons)
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

I dont get you cool guy. How is this non aos? You can easily breath fire by spitting fuel in your mouth through a flame torch. Try googling it and you will find it. One of the images similar to what i am suggsting is:
Attachments
Fire blower
Fire blower
640px-Fire_breathing_2_Luc_Viatour.jpg (90.99 KiB) Viewed 11342 times

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

I know people do it. It is common in circuses and other such entertainment for shock effect.

But it's impractical for use in the battlefield. The range is limited and rate of fire is awfully slow.
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Yes but multiple nearby units can be burnt with it. And i dont think shooting an arrow takes less time than spitting fuel. If you want we can use flamethrowers which i checked were used everywhere(ships towers etc like light siege units or like small hand held weapons) if you are not much into the spitting one

ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

I also think that a "firebreather' is more suited to AOF. Although it is possible that they could be used in battle, they would be quite useless due to the range and the fact that they would have to carry flasks of alcohol/oils around the battle field (which I imagine would be pretty heavy and make them rather unbalanced)
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Check out the net there is nothing like that its just a light cylinder which they used to throw flame at farther distances. I did not suggest that at first as i thought that it was too modern . But i found that it was not so and was used widely. And its an infantry unit. So it ought to be killed by ranged units otherwise it would be op. I am not undersyanding why u ppl are calling it aof suited and not aos suited. These units/weapons were actually present in medevial times. Then why not include them in aos??

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

TheBluePhoenix wrote: If you want we can use flamethrowers which i checked were used everywhere(ships towers etc like light siege units or like small hand held weapons) if you are not much into the spitting one
Yes, please.

Bows in medieval times had a rate of fire anywhere from 12 arrows in 17 seconds to 9 in a minute, depending on draw strength with a much greater range. And fire breathing is slowed still more by the fact that fire breathers must at some point clear their mouths of the toxin to breathe air. :)
I don't think that it was necessarily that wide spread of a method: I see them more in games than in actual histories.

So it just seems more practicable to make them like you said above (like light siege units or hand held weapons)
Thanks!
Josh
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Got an idea. Why don't we make a faquir unit that can trow fire as a special skill once in a few turn? For the normal attacks he will use the faquir horns

Being an ascetic we might train it at the church
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

This sounds more aof suited than my original idea. Better make it as cool guy agreed : a handheld weapon and a light siege unit .stats:

Weapon holding unit( please think of a name)
Cost 4
Health:11
Ranged unit or infantry cant decide but lets go by infantry
Power 10(armoured units have some protection while others dont have any)
Speed 3
Pierce armour , armour 0
Conversion resistance 0%
Vision/sight 5
Range: affects all units in 1 direction for 2 blocks.
All units having pierce armour less than 4 will get burnt (-6 hp per turn) for 3 turns if attacked by it

Siege unit (name for this too req)
Cost 6
Health 25
Movement 1
Range affects till 4 blocks in 1 dirn
Attack power 20( same conDn as before)
Sight 8
Conversion res 50%
Pierce armour 2
Effect of burning same just more effective (-7 hp) and works for any unit with any armour

Maybe a bit complex but i am sure we will figure out a way to maje them simple
Need some images and names for both too
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Looks pretty good. We will have to find some really cool names. :)

I think the costs should maybe be 3 and 5, since (esp. the light siege) would be underpowered compared to the ballista.

How long does the burning last?
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

3 turns( i have specified it)
Ok i agree that but i thought that the burn was quite powerful. Especially with the area damage. Neverthe less if you think so i will change it

Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Faquir horns are historical weapons used by fquirs for self defense
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Alexander82 wrote:Faquir horns are historical weapons used by fquirs for self defense
Different thread then :) (this one seems to have been changed) Aren't Fakirs like Dervishes?
TheBluePhoenix wrote:3 turns( i have specified it)
Ok i agree that but i thought that the burn was quite powerful. Especially with the area damage. Neverthe less if you think so i will change it
Okay if the burn is very powerful we can keep it the way it was, I guess I thought the burn was a little weak. :)
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Actually the burn is -7 hp per turn so the unit dies in the next turn if it is a weak one archer pikeman swordsman and so on. Hence i thought it could be quite powerful. now we need 2 names and images and also dev's consent

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Good point - that could be 4 units killed for the siege unit. So the old cost is good.
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Ok then the stats remain as they were before.
Now can we have some names and images please??
Also dev pls give some suggestions(i assume he is moee than just busy as he is not replying to my emails as well) :shock: :roll:

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Dev is very busy. Be nice to him. :)

Don't worry - that gives us plenty of time for image and names.
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Yeah right
How about fire breather for infantry unit and pyroliser for siege?
(I know they sound complete shit but for a start they are fine....)

TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Can anyone make some images for the two pls

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Please save the light siege for me: it might be a while but I can make it eventually. ++ we have plenty of time as this vote is already underway.
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Ok didnt know that someone was working on it
Thanks cool guy 8-)

TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Then alexande4 can you make the other image of infantry one?

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Here are some names:

for the infantry one - cheirosiphones (literally hand-siphon)

the siege was harder to come up with:
- siege siphon
- megasiphon
- Median Fire Launcher

What do you think?
Thanks!
Josh
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Can you give me a referal image? i don't know what it should looks like
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

I found a few. Not sure how "realistic" they are Though :)
Attachments
From Wikipedia
From Wikipedia
IMG_20150921_164300.jpg (36.34 KiB) Viewed 11254 times
Looks like assassins creed
Looks like assassins creed
IMG_20150921_164350.jpg (52.65 KiB) Viewed 11254 times
Another from Wiki
Another from Wiki
IMG_20150921_164326.jpg (34.92 KiB) Viewed 11254 times

Return to “Unit - melee infantry”