Shield knight category balance IMPLEMENTED

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
SirPat

Shield knight category balance IMPLEMENTED

Post by SirPat »

Shield knights and other mounted knights with shields should be categorized as [mounted shield bearer] and [mounted big shield bearer] then polearm units should have a smaller bonus vs mounted shield bearers if lets say spearman have 450% vs mounted he should have atleast 225%-300% bonus vs mounted shield bearer
To make shield knights and other similar units the tanks in the battle field
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Badnorth

Re: [Mounted shield bearer] category

Post by Badnorth »

Good idea.
This will make mounted shield bearing units like shield knight etc More unique.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

Shield knights are under rated and acts like a knight just for killing archers but he still cant deal and chase those archers and skirmishers quickly so make him good for charging into spearmen so they will act as the front line cavalry is 225% too low or high pls help me at balancing
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

I was actually thinking of changing the bonus for light cavalry, newly recategorised medium cavalry, and all those mounted archers. Current bonus is balanced towards knights and it just one shots all units with lesser hp.
As for the name - I am a not convinced to it.
I think shield knights have to stay heavy cavalry (to still get bonuses from anti-heavy units), but anti-mounted bonuses can have an exception (engine allows it), so there would be bonuses:
+x1% vs units being [mounted]
+x2% vs units being [medium cavalry]
+x3% vs units being [heavy cavalry] [new category name]
+x4% vs units being [melee] [chariot] or [heavy cavalry] except [new category name]
And I think it could be x1 - halfed regular bonus, x2 - 60% of bonus, x3 - 2/3 of bonus.
X4 is of course current bonus.

So in spearman case it woud be +225% vs all mounted, +270 % vs medium cavalry, +300% vs shield knights new category.
Second option is treat medium cavalry harsher and make them have 75% of current bonus.
I am still wondering about exact balance, but main issues that I want to address by doing it are: light cavalry in most cases doesn't get bonus hp or very little (compared to knight vs foot units). Mounted archers get anti-archer bonuses in full strenght or even worse (so they already have one counter - ergo anti-mounted doesn't have to one shot them). Chariot archers get full disadvantages of horse ones, but less advantages. There are few others similar, among them of course shield knights.
Age of Strategy design leader

Return to “Unit balancing”