turtle ship range

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
TheBluePhoenix

turtle ship range

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

I think with a range of 3, turtle ships are retty much useless. either decrease the turn cost to 3/4 or increase the range to 5/6. I would suggest the latter
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

goose88

Re: turtle ship range

Post by goose88 »

I agree that they are useless. But I wanted to show a picture from my vacation in South Korea this summer. I found a replica full-sized turtle ship in the town where it was invented by an admiral to defend against the Japanese invasion in 1592! The town is Yeosu. The point of the ship was that the Japanese couldn't use their "grapple and board" technique because it was a continuous closed top ship.
Attachments
turtle ship2.JPG
turtle ship2.JPG (94.55 KiB) Viewed 11434 times
Disco

Post by Disco »

Nice pic Goose!

I too believe it is underpowered, or more, im not sure of its strengths.
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Turtle ships are honestly quite godly in some situations I think, but I would be fine for +1 range. :)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

They are useless??? :lol:

You have a short memory Doom - a very short memory. :)
Thanks!
Josh
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

goose88 wrote:I agree that they are useless. But I wanted to show a picture from my vacation in South Korea this summer. I found a replica full-sized turtle ship in the town where it was invented by an admiral to defend against the Japanese invasion in 1592! The town is Yeosu. The point of the ship was that the Japanese couldn't use their "grapple and board" technique because it was a continuous closed top ship.
That is really cool!
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

COOLguy wrote:They are useless??? :lol:

What? I said they are godly! Goose said they were useless. :lol:
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

DoomCarrot wrote:
COOLguy wrote:They are useless??? :lol:

What? I said they are godly! Goose said they were useless. :lol:
oh :lol:
Goose, you are wrong :lol:
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Will you increase the range?
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Let's see what others think. I really think that the turtle ship is almost op as it is right now.
Thanks!
Josh
Disco

Post by Disco »

Im not sure, as ive not really used them. When i did, they felt less effective than some of the other units. TBH even a gain of range, isnt really gonna make me want to build them...though no doubt someone will school me in the future with them, an i'll change my mind :lol:
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

COOLguy wrote:Let's see what others think. I really think that the turtle ship is almost op as it is right now.
Op really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whar the hell?

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Phoenix: How are you trying to use your turtle ships? Are you going up to triremes and ramming them? Maybe trying to bombard inland workers? :)
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Well i try to kill canons only with them but here is how i would justify myself is that

If you try to kill a canon ship with turtle, then maybe you are faster , but due to a huge difference in range, the turtle loses

If you try to kill a trireme , then its fast speed has you in splits.

Hence they are only good against warships, transports and mends. ONLY

So the ship sucks in terms of its speed + range value

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

:) Yes, they are a unique unit. You have to know how you want to use them. They have a shorter range than cannon ships and catapult ships and warships, but are a bit faster. They outrange the trireme but are slower. :)

So yes, 1v1 the turtle ship loses to everything but noncoms and warships. ;) Here are some tips and strategies that I find incredibly useful, DoomCarrot is one person here who can attest to their usefulness (as he already has here).

-Use them in pairs: if you look at the stats, you can see that turtles can sink any ship in two shots
-Use them defensively: their slow speed makes it hard to leave your home waters or retreat if you are threatened. Turtles work best in waters you control, as defensive interceptors
-Use them as a psych weapon: turtles look intimidating, and are a sign that you have a large fleet (that you have docks for sure). Opponents of a defensive turtle pair will have to attack with a mixed fleet larger than the turtle fleet.
-Steer clear of enemy coasts: there are so many things from the shore that can destroy turtles
-But use coasts to your advantage: remember you have a range; if you can maneuver shores between you and triremes, it gives you an advantage
-Turtles speed + range gives them a total attack radius of 7: that is two more than triremes and equal to the catapult ships
-Very rarely use them for shore bombardment: mostly weak units near the shore and an occasional dock; but it is a risk every time (see above :) )
-They are cheaper than any combat ship other than a warship: So 1v1 of course they should lose to everything except for a warship :)
-I've found that the only thing turtles have an actual issue with are cannon ships: but cannon ships cost 8+6+6 (for ballistics and gunpowder); and I see it as a balancing necessity, otherwise turtles would be almost invincible
COOLguy wrote:I really think that the turtle ship is almost op as it is right now.
Against the more expensive ships, battles are more of a toss-up. It depends on individual tactics and which person knows what they are doing. :)
That said, turtles are not for everyone. You use Triremes/Quadriremes because you think they are useful and you don't use Turtle Ships because you think they are worthless. I think exactly the opposite, so we must just have different playstyles.
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

COOLguy nailed it. That was a very comprehensive strategy guide. :)
Disco

Post by Disco »

Yeah agree, that is a very useful guide. thx Coolguy! I didnt realise they were that powerful (2 shot kill). My memory is shooting at other ships for turns, making little impact. But my memory sucks lol

Although i still think id rather have 2 trireme or catapult ships, I may give them another go ;)
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

COOLguy wrote::) Yes, they are a unique unit. You have to know how you want to use them. They have a shorter range than cannon ships and catapult ships and warships, but are a bit faster. They outrange the trireme but are slower. :)

So yes, 1v1 the turtle ship loses to everything but noncoms and warships. ;) Here are some tips and strategies that I find incredibly useful, DoomCarrot is one person here who can attest to their usefulness (as he already has here).

-Use them in pairs: if you look at the stats, you can see that turtles can sink any ship in two shots
-Use them defensively: their slow speed makes it hard to leave your home waters or retreat if you are threatened. Turtles work best in waters you control, as defensive interceptors
-Use them as a psych weapon: turtles look intimidating, and are a sign that you have a large fleet (that you have docks for sure). Opponents of a defensive turtle pair will have to attack with a mixed fleet larger than the turtle fleet.
-Steer clear of enemy coasts: there are so many things from the shore that can destroy turtles
-But use coasts to your advantage: remember you have a range; if you can maneuver shores between you and triremes, it gives you an advantage
-Turtles speed + range gives them a total attack radius of 7: that is two more than triremes and equal to the catapult ships
-Very rarely use them for shore bombardment: mostly weak units near the shore and an occasional dock; but it is a risk every time (see above :) )
-They are cheaper than any combat ship other than a warship: So 1v1 of course they should lose to everything except for a warship :)
-I've found that the only thing turtles have an actual issue with are cannon ships: but cannon ships cost 8+6+6 (for ballistics and gunpowder); and I see it as a balancing necessity, otherwise turtles would be almost invincible
COOLguy wrote:I really think that the turtle ship is almost op as it is right now.
Against the more expensive ships, battles are more of a toss-up. It depends on individual tactics and which person knows what they are doing. :)
That said, turtles are not for everyone. You use Triremes/Quadriremes because you think they are useful and you don't use Turtle Ships because you think they are worthless. I think exactly the opposite, so we must just have different playstyles.

I still feel they suck- reason- if they are useful in pairs, that makes their effective cost 12. Clearly useless when it comes to fighting a fleet.
Whatever points you said, they can be easily countered using a fleet of ship with 1-2 ships canon and trireme. This can destroy a lot of turtles.

I feel they are useless currently , or pretty less useful

Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

I Rarely build any naval units (I'm just bad with them for some reason :cry: )... but from reading the posts I think they are fine.
Daruty

Post by Daruty »

Turtle ships are good but not OP and i think you shouldn't increase their range

I rarely use them but they are a good defense against naval attacks if you hide them in towers and tc that are on the shore your opponents ships might come closer and you can suprise them and break the whole attack in one single volley
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

if you hide them in towers
If they can go into towers or factories on Land, thats definitely a bug
If its on bridges maybe not
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Hardeep wrote:
if you hide them in towers