Catapult build time

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Catapult build time

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i think no one builds catapults with the 8 turn cost, instead builds it by workers.

what about making catapults cheaper (eg. trebuchet is only 6 turn but i think a more complex and also useful equipment)

so i suggest giving a 7 or even 6 turn cost.
Hardeep

Re: Catapult build time

Post by Hardeep »

7 turns would be nice
(I personally build the 8 turn variant)
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Hmmm.... well, I rarely build catapults in tc's, but 8 turns is fairly balanced for siege workshops I think. Especially once they are heavy/area damage. I think that 6 turns in a siege workshop would be far too cheap. 7 turns is possible.

I would say heavy catapult with area damage is worth 5 turns (in how much damage it can do) more than a cannon if used correctly though. :)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

I agree with dev- 6 turns is good
Workers can build it in 2-4 turns (if you have 8-4 of them) and given the time taken to research ballistics and area damage , 6 turns would be good. Still in the long run, building 2 workers would do better than 1 catapult
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

DoomCarrot wrote:I would say heavy catapult with area damage is worth 5 turns (in how much damage it can do) more than a cannon if used correctly though.
True.
TheBluePhoenix wrote:Workers can build it in 2-4 turns (if you have 8-4 of them) and given the time taken to research ballistics and area damage , 6 turns would be good. Still in the long run, building 2 workers would do better than 1 catapult
Even if it is reduced to 6 turns in a Town, it is still cheaper to use 8 workers to build it in 2 turns. :)
Thanks!
Josh
tamtam12345

Post by tamtam12345 »

In no upgrade ,20x20 maps,it will be a disaster if catapult is 6~7 turns in town.
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

That is kind of how I'm leaning tamtam. I'm imagining our mass confusion game with 6 turn catapults... :lol:

I personally think it might be better to nerf workers' production slightly rather than making catapults cheaper, but that's just my opinion. I think either way this goes it will shift the balance of something or another.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

We could limit the amount of workers available to build.
Thanks!
Josh
lordtalamar

Post by lordtalamar »

Make it an upgrade faster siege so it effects all siege reduction 1 turn? That way in non upgrade games the game isn't out of balance.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

tamtam12345 wrote:In no upgrade ,20x20 maps,it will be a disaster if catapult is 6~7 turns in town.
I never use catapults in such mini maps- ballistas surely but catapults- never
Reason- such maps are generally critter swarmed and hence a catapult without area damage does not do any good and to make catapults with area damage you need at least 14 turns and at max 21 turns, wheras you can build ballistas and use them effectively in 10 turns

If the map is full of tcs then may be the situation would change
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Well, in rose, tamtam, and my game, we basically have spammed fortifications everywhere, which has given time+need to have area damage catapults. As of now, we each have a lot of catapults, but with a 6 turn cost, our game would be insanity. :lol:

Also, lordtalamar, I like the idea of a tech to speed up production of siege things.
lordtalamar

Post by lordtalamar »

At Blue phoenix on a no upgrade all tech unlocked game is what we are talking about you can't make ballistic on that setting.... put siege standard 6 or 7 turn and it unbalanced the original game setting hence why I suggest it as a upgrade ability.
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

DoomCarrot wrote: I personally think it might be better to nerf workers' production slightly rather than making catapults cheaper, but that's just my opinion. I think either way this goes it will shift the balance of something or another.
I agree with this. 8 turn for a catapult is balanced in my opinion and I do produce catapult in my tcs in small games where my workers are building guard towers and fortresses to stop enemy advancing.
duneix

Post by duneix »

Darkknight wrote:
DoomCarrot wrote: I personally think it might be better to nerf workers' production slightly rather than making catapults cheaper, but that's just my opinion. I think either way this goes it will shift the balance of something or another.
I agree with this. 8 turn for a catapult is balanced in my opinion and I do produce catapult in my tcs in small games where my workers are building guard towers and fortresses to stop enemy advancing.
I also think so. Catapults are (in my opinion) slightly too strong and would be more balanced if it took more time to workers to build them.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Okay based on some recent encounters , i feel that the decrease of turn cost 6 will help the game a lot because siege factories become useless once all techs are researched because no one makes them without workers. Please do this

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

how much turn to build a normal and an upgraded catapult? (from scratch)

i ask because we can manipulate the bonusmending whenconstructing value of upgraded catapult in order to require same turns to build as normal verison.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

I will check it

Return to “Unit balancing”