An introduction and ideas

Things that did not fit to the other parts
BROMINE1994

An introduction and ideas

Post by BROMINE1994 »

Hi guys,

Just joined the forum and figured that this would be the best to post. First of all I love age of strategy and fantasy, really impressed by what a small team can achieve. I would love to help you guys in any way, i have no experience in coding or pixel art, but I can help with unit descriptions, random game maps , testing and coming up with ideas. If it would be possible to get an early version of the game i would be more than happy to bug test.

I'm going to list some ideas which may have already been posted.

1. Low tier troops for all factions: for example Home guard for UK, Hitler youth or Volksturm for Germany, conscripts for USSR, France and USA. Could add some variety buy giving certain buffs to faction specific units if possible, for example home guard get a toughness buff near UK TC's, Volksturm getting double strike if they are near German TC's and Russian Conscripts having a 3 turn duration, similar to the summoned ent in AOF.

2. Multiple transports: for example Germany could have 3 different transport vehicles Kublewagon has 1 transport capacity of 1, a half trak has a capacity of 2 and a truck has a capacity of 3.

3. Recon Vehicles: Light or armored cars that are fast and decent against basic infantry and a decent line of sight but cant capture TC's, for example a willies jeep with a machine gun or a German motorbike with a machine gun on the side car. Recon planes and boats could also be cool.

4. Debuffing enemy units: Machine gun teams being able to "suppress " infantry and light vehicle (no tanks) maybe reduce damage or movement by 1. Maybe artillery and snipers could reduce infantry movement.

5. HQ units buffing troops, Japanese officer gives Japanese infantry the ability to double strike, commissars buffing soviet infantry with toughness ect. Obviously medics, medical tents and medic trucks to heal infantry. Engineers opposed to builders healing vehicles

6. Scout infantry similar to Fairy's in AOF or Dogs in AOS, with the concealed ability of concealment similar to assassins, good for scouting and harassing, cant take TC's but can be detected by German Guard dogs, home guard or sentry towers. Could go one step further, Spot lights give near AA guns clear sight against plains, or Radar stations can spot all planes within a certain radius.

7. Specific units being able to build structures, Engineers can build bridges and pillboxes, sappers can build mines and tank traps, light infantry can build foxholes and Japanese troops can build traps, similar to poison pits in AOF.

9. TC's can only build basic units, light vehicles and infantry , scouts and small ships (if near water.) This would prevent players from spamming good units from turn 1, for example the orc axe throwers in AOF.

10. Replace the Gem unlock system with more upgrades in game. Whilst its cool to gradually unlock units and buildings the more you play, its not very fun in practice. A lot of the missions are broken or not very fun to play in AOS and AOF, which makes it a ball ache to unlock all of the units. Also some of the factions are OP compared to other factions if you haven't unlocked anything. A good example is Dwarfs Vs Scaled folk in AOF, 9 times out of 10 the Dwarfs will beat Scaled folk. Another solution would be to allow all units/upgrades/buildings in random game similar to the all techs option.

I have more Ideas, sadly not enough time. Hope this helps and look forward to hearing from you guys.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: An introduction and ideas

Post by Stratego (dev) »

4. Debuffing enemy units: Machine gun teams being able to "suppress " infantry and light vehicle (no tanks) maybe reduce damage or movement by 1.
i like it!
BROMINE1994

Post by BROMINE1994 »

Thanks! Who would I need to message about getting an early build of the game? Or do I need to be a trusted member/been a member for a certain amount of time?
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

U just need to prove certain trust stratego is really picky in avoiding the publishing of betas without his concern
~Gral.Sturnn
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ww2? simply email me on aos/aof dev eamil and i can send you. (i thought you already have it)
BROMINE1994

Post by BROMINE1994 »

Sent it to the admin email address, hope that was the right one, and thanks by the way.
samuelch

Post by samuelch »

I like all of it
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

This is interesting, agreed with all points beside the 5th. (+or-, i don't like the idea of japanese getting double strike, but since the beggining, use a bulldozer unit to build structures and stuff instead of engineers and infantry, i always thought them to build simple and fast things).

The 10th is actually becoming problem since more and more units are being added each update, there are some ideas around the forums, but none actually cover the whole thing, meinwhile we do try to update older maps... But that just delay the whole problem, and we still haven't figured out a good (and definitive) solution for it... What you suggested makes sense, could you give more details about it?
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
samuelch

Post by samuelch »

The Japanese infantry getting double strike is good. Just make the spell require high cooldown.
With daily gems, gems shortage can be solved
BROMINE1994

Post by BROMINE1994 »

Thanks for all the positive feedback, I was thinking that the double strike buff could be similar to to the aura toughness buff the scaled folk emperor/king has in AOF, however it would only effect infantry (no ranged eg snipers and mortars), and the aura could be considerably smaller, officers from other factions could give different buffs to their specific faction units as well, commissars make their infantry immune to fear, american officers could give a "double time" buff to infantry +1 movement for example. You could extend this to other units as well, tank commanders, forward observers for artillery ect. I think units should also have various ranges as well, however i assume your to far in development to change that, thinking along the lines of rifle men and mg teams have a range of 1, smg teams ave a range of 0 (only adjacent spaces) ect. Also ive noticed in play testing that the messerschmitt is pretty op against other planes and ground vehicles, to the point where it is more economically viable to spam messerschmitts instead of the focke wolf and bomber. And i'm also not sure if the unit abilities work, (anti infantry and tank grenades.) However I haven't updated the game for a while so these issues may have been fixed.
BROMINE1994

Post by BROMINE1994 »

Oh and a couple more things,
-AA units can't enter transport boats.
-Does the bridge terrain piece act like a normal built bridge (boats can move past) or like a normal grass tile (boats can't move past.)
-Is there any free software to run the APK file on a computer? the map maker is a bit awkward to use on my tablet.
- I mentioned in a previous email (i think to stratego) mislabelled faction buildings (german walls, and mines) for the russians and americans.
- As previously mentioned in the last post about planes, the attack planes need to be less effective against tanks, they should be good against infantry and artillery
- The lightning may want a cost reduction of 1 turn since it gets shredded by the messerschmitt. Or you could increase the build time of the messerschmitt by 1.
-limit the number of medical-bases that can be built, not in the same way as the other buildings (1 per tc.) however maybe have a limit of 1-3 maximum. Since you can straight up troll the AI in choke points by spamming medics lol.
-Make built bridges "neutral" its a pain in the ass to push the enemy back, only to then have to destroy the bridges and build your own, ive had several stalemates from this situation, whilst boats are a viable option most of the time, they aren't if your enemy has air or sea superiority.
-AA ships or coastal guns
-inspiration from other games (missile silos and capital buildings in advance wars)
-Finally are there any plans to introduce end game buildings for each faction similar to castles/temples and great trees in AOF?

Return to “Others”