Need hint / help for Battle of Marathon

Discuss anything about any map, ask for hints/help if you need
kiwi

Need hint / help for Battle of Marathon

Post by kiwi »

hi all,

i'm failing constant at map battle of marathon. Could someone give me a hint or provide a tactic to win the map?

I tried several different ways before, but everything failed. Like using cheap units and towers or even ships.
Attacking the flanks and or the center failed too (regarding to the tactics of the real battle-tactic in wikipedia)
Or trying to sneak around and capture the enemy castles (and hold them)

In my point of view producing hoplit-unit would be the key, but they have a very long production time and the hoplit couldn''t destroy fast enough the countless weak enemy troops?.

I appreciate yout suggestions and solutions.
Many thanks in advance
COOLguy

Re: Need hint / help for Battle of Marathon

Post by COOLguy »

I played this a long time ago, and now AI is harder. But if you hold your tc's you have more production than AI. So use your force to hold the tc's (build defenses too). The war will be at the flanks - that's just how the map is built.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks!
Josh
balint

Post by balint »

I played it a long time ago...

As I remember, I concentrated my force in the front. then I started producing elephatns on the flanks. I broke trough in the front and hold position at the flanks. then I turned back and destroyed the flanks. and from there it was pretty easy.
This is Hungary and winter is coming.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Thank you for the quick replies but maybe depending todays setting of the map or game. Thw map be in my point of view some kind of imbalanced.

I tried some attemps to hold and protect the left flank but its very tricky. If you are not carefull. The cavallery will slip through your line and conquer the castles.

At the moment im not sure. If its possible to win the actually map. After 5-6 rounds the enwmy troops could reach the first two castles and at round 9-11 the in the near of the third one.

I'll rry this map again later on.
It was the only map which frustrated me. All other maps and the game is well dobe and fun. Maybe later on the developers will recheck the marathon map but its only one map and i used the skip function to start the next map.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Okay I just did it. I used my way. I did not try balint's but I'm sure his is good as well - he has good logic. The map is actually pretty well balanced, but it is fairly tough: the AI has gotten harder.

I used the first troops I had as a counter or slower to their army to give my bases time to fortify. My assault on the enemy right flank was very nearly successful and I nearly took that tc. I built small troops (sword pike and archer) until his first attack was for all practical purposes defeated. I lost my left for a space, but I had a small rebel group of archers by the mountains. These were soon reinforced and retook the tc. I used a few archers to clear the plain of enemy wounded. The AI built barracks and a church, so I countered by building many Polish Hussars. These could not be converted, were highly mobile, and effective in attack against all infantry. These mopped up most of the ground force and supported swordsmen in taking the enemy bases. Some time near the end, I built a few warships; they supported infantry, and cleaned out the transports very efficiently. The tc to the SE was taken last.

In hindsight: I would maybe have been well to have my center support the left flank more - I concentrated to the right. If I had done so, I may have held the left flank indefinitely, as my right was never very close to being threatened. Also I could have managed my troops better towards the end, I would have won much sooner. Had I executed these perfectly, I may have shaved as many as 5-7 turns off.

Useful upgrades: 1) Fortress - it takes longer to build, but is much better than a regular tower. 2) Poison Archer - This was very beneficial, but I only used one. 3) Winged Polish Hussar (of course) - These take longer to build than knights but were WAY more effective for my situation.

Other tips: Use your Healers well. They are a great help in unit conservation. I think kill priority is probably Horse Archers, Archers, Swordsmen, Pikemen. All the Pikemen really do is keep you from building a cavalry.

Please let me know if this helps/ makes it easier.
Thanks!
Josh
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

This will help me, as well...I've been having trouble with that map...thanks, brah... ;-)
It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder if you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
Alex486

Post by Alex486 »

I used crossbow men as my primary weapon for this map. built 3 archery ranges first and started the upgrade to crossbow men as soon as possible. completed in 26 moves.
Attachments
screen shot marathon.jpg
screen shot marathon.jpg (175.92 KiB) Viewed 11188 times
Anything is feasible with enough money and power.

Get ready to get your teeth kicked in, it will make for a good education.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Nooooooooooooo! :mrgreen:

You just murdered my score!

Good job, that's better than I though I could make it on a good day. :D
Thanks!
Josh
Shliken

Battle of Marathon

Post by Shliken »

I can't for the life of me figure it out. Where should I bring my initial troops? What should I build?
COOLguy

Re: Battle of Marathon

Post by COOLguy »

Some helps are posted here: http://www.ageofstrategy.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1257

Please let us know if you can find anything there that helps. :)
Thanks!
Josh
Endru1241

Re: Battle of Marathon

Post by Endru1241 »

I was doing that map yesterday - the best way seems to be charging right into enemy conserving only pikemen to bring down as many horse archers as they can. The goal with this charge is to bring enemy units to yellow health, targeting especially shooters. Meanwhile workers should be building factories - archers + crossbowman upgrade from one of three archery ranges starting at second turn done the job in 28 turns.
Age of Strategy design leader
Ayush Tiwari

Post by Ayush Tiwari »

I don't know why,but its more easy nowadays.
As I started,I made knights and flails from left and from the single tc,shielders(you can try something else,shielders didn't work.Then,the easiest and cheapest way was,a roman garrison.Two turns swordsman were capable enough,and as I got randomly those auxiliaries,especially knights,the game became more easy.I then,made a barracks,on the left and roman garrison on the left,another barracks on right.Flails,for botj the side.Flails,worth it.You will be easily get time after this much to get some towers and fortress.After the first group of enemies was completely defeated.I started production of chariots from both tcs in left and right.Not in the one between jungle,because they cant walk through forest tiles.I still made flails there.After this,I sent whatever force I had to destroy their bases.I had won in 25 turns,but those transport ships took 9 more turns.I completed it in 34 turns with 4 gems
Homo homini lupus

Return to “Campaign map discussions”