Nyadhos, Paths of the Dead analysis

Discuss anything about any map, ask for hints/help if you need
Nykidxxx

Nyadhos, Paths of the Dead analysis

Post by Nykidxxx »

I was playing when this was originally 35 turns and it was impossible, now that it has been boosted to 155 turns, it is still nearly impossible.

The problem:
-the map is too big for three cavalry and a single siege to reach every corner.
-the siege cannot be fixed.
-the cavalry can only be healed via a 3-5 turn waste sitting inside a tower, and they must run back after every surprise archer encounter.
-the wagon with the siege cannot access over a quarter of the map due to bushes! this limits my abilities to use the units given.
-a two pike man can wipe out a quarter of my forces, everytime i see pikemen i have to run and wait for my catapult to kill them.
-the darkness means i cannot even plan a route to chase the enemy from the corners.
-in fact the map designer is somewhat of a manic since he creates dozens of long long paths that lead to dead ends and forces me to double back if i try to split my forces to search better.

the worst one:
-the spontaneous spawning of troops after killing watchtowers.
I don't understand this one. My goal is to kill remnants of a scattered army. How do they get so many reinforcements that can teleport in a medieval setting. The trigger makes it even more confusing as how does killing a watchtower equate to spawning troops in a far away area? Maybe like right next to the tower you destroyed would be somewhat reasonable. lastly, if i spent 100 turns scouring for tropps from top to bottom, them i hit a tower at bottom, id have to double back up to find out where they spawned. i would need at least 300 turns to allow me to double back at the destruction of every single watch tower.

My solution:
-Eliminate the darkness, in fact at least show us where we can and cannot go since the maze is so dam insanely made.
-Provide a single healer that we have to protect. This wont make us overpowered since we need to strategize to protect it and move cautiously.
-The watch towers can spawn units at the base or none at all, spawning behind me in a place i searched already is just too much for this large of a map. Perhaps make some into guard towers since we get a catapult, we can use the cavalry to scout and slowly move the catapult to clean up the towers.
-i like the idea of troop preservation so i don't want buildings, however can we get slightly more than 3 cavalry? i mean if they run through a fog of war and stumble into 1 pikemen and 1-2 archers, i just lost a third of my forces. Perhaps the new Hessian with three great cavalry and 2 horse archers to take out archers behind walls. (right now i need to use a catapult to kill every archer, if i miss that's two turns per archer!)

This is my analysis of the map after failing on this map 5 times, that's like over 10hours per try. i have beaten almost every other map in here lol. also note i want the 4 gems, anything less is considered a failure. Right now i believe this map is absolutely impossible without prior knowledge of what troops will spawn where from which tower kill and what the map looks like.
COOLguy

Re: Nyadhos, Paths of the Dead analysis

Post by COOLguy »

:D
Thanks!
Josh
Nykidxxx

Post by Nykidxxx »

In exactly 140 turns I see lol

Btw I read in another post that you do not HAVE to break the watchtowers and can leave them alone, is that true?
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

That is true since around July. Daniel made it so that walls and such do not need to be destroyed for victory. :)
Thanks!
Josh
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

yes: actually nothing must be destroyed that has no movement AND has no attack/action possiblity.
Nykidxxx

Post by Nykidxxx »

Well that makes it like 100x times easier lol, I wish I knew this earlier... Can't we just stop the towers from spawning units all together? Most players won't figure out that you can leave watchtowers alone unless they come to the forums, and if we don't have to break them to win then why not just let us break them without having troops spawn.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

No, I don't think so... I like having the option for fun. :mrgreen:
BTW they represent resistance fighters emerging from hiding places - they appear only on the road en route to destroy your towers, or in the maze to trap you.
Thanks!
Josh
Nykidxxx

Post by Nykidxxx »

mmm hidden fighters makes sense... but I think they should at least spawn from the area around the tower... I wouldnt wait for a tower in the horizon to be destroyed before appear from right next to the enemy base ><
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

This has to be a deptusi map...most of his maps are ridiculous...(betrayal of maximus in less than 35 turns? Please...)
It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder if you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
balint

Post by balint »

it might be that he didn't cared about the turn limit, so it is the default.
This is Hungary and winter is coming.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

This one can be won in the turn limit - I did! (see my above screenshot)
Thanks!
Josh
balint

Post by balint »

I see :)
This is Hungary and winter is coming.
garfield2230

Post by garfield2230 »

Hey I was playing the map when I found the forum. I used the cav. To draw units to the catapult. The bottom right corner has alot of pike man so beware. Have pictures of the map for yall have to shrink the file size first. You can post the catapult at the cross roads and the units will come to you.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

That's cool. :) How many turns did you win in?
Thanks!
Josh
garfield2230

Post by garfield2230 »

Taking things nice and slow over 300. Need to go back and redo it knowing the map and troop placement now.
mickmackmike

Post by mickmackmike »

I have completed every map on this game, so there are none left to play, up till this one "paths of the dead"
many months ago when I last really tried I did a google search with nothing come up, so on trying just now I came up with this post now which is nice.
I have been close several times killing everything else on the screen but always would end up getting the knights killed in the bottom right corner, with one or two archers to go.
This would happen no matter how many times I got to 140 plus turns

* After many many hours i never realised that killing towers spawns troops
- How on earth would you ever know you don't have to kill towers, towers are there so you destroy them it is part of the game @#$!!#!

* Only after reading here do I now know knights can be healed in the towers (1/2 healed ? , either way this is a critical bit of info)

- I had no idea for the above nice to know , I should be able to complete in around 300 goes first time back to it if I go slowly with this new info .

I agree that the map should be changed, while you could say it could be done, to say that only one person has completed it as it first came out is to say that they had 2 weeks full time to do it...

That is just silly. Most others you can complete in a few hours, to get all stars you might have to go through a couple or a few attempts for the more difficult ones.

Mike..
----
3M - ( Mike M )
Egosz

Post by Egosz »

I completely agree with suggestions on changing or deleting this map. I roamed more than Bagging Frodo and I did not enjoy as well... I am considering deleting this fantastic game just because of this map... :cry:
Magyar vagyok, nem turista :lol:
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

I couldn't complete this map at all so I used unlock map to play the rest of the maps.
After all the updates coming in aos it is clearly an impossible to beat map.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Egosz wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:35 am I am considering deleting this fantastic game just because of this map...
Don't do it man. This map should be fixed by endru or stratego.
I didn't report this map because nyadhos strategy is one of the hardest campaigns.
Egosz

Post by Egosz »

QuadrupoleStrat wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:42 am
Egosz wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:35 am I am considering deleting this fantastic game just because of this map...
Don't do it man. This map should be fixed by endru or stratego.
I didn't report this map because nyadhos strategy is one of the hardest campaigns.
I agree with you, QuadrupoleStrat, I really enjoyed other Nyadhos maps. Map4 (May the Sun Come) is one of my favourites, however, it is written above why you was not able to complete map5 (Paths of the Dead). Additionally I found two bugs on the map:
1. In another Paths of the Dead topic (Nyadhos Strategy, Paths of the Dead question) RBD wrote that "if you move a living unit next to an enemy wall, the wall will disappear". I did not experienced the same, when I lost my catapult and I tried to destroy a wall with my knights.
2. CoolGuy wrote that only two players managed to fulfill the turn requirement. I thought that it is time to consume my first potion and I choose the "Strengthen a unit" for my catapult. I hoped that it can gain some turns for me destroying enemy longbow archers with one shot. The power changed to 10+10 and I started to hope that it can be a good solution for enjoying this map. Then I packed the catapult for travelling and when I deployed it in mobile mode for fighting the added power disappeared.

Others have correctly written how could be less sucking this map, I wont repeat their words.

I suggest a vote about changing map5 (Paths of the Dead).
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Although these replies are from 5 years ago. After all that updates it (The map) should definitely be up to date as the game is evolving. I haven't gotten really far as I forfeited once I lost my catapult and couple knights so I can't say much.
Egosz wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:22 pm I really enjoyed other Nyadhos maps. Map4 (May the Sun Come) is one of my favourites,
I got annoyed by enterprise. But I eventually liked it.
Maps are quite good by design and gameplay.

I think we need an expert map tester first e.g. endru & tamtam to play it.
If they can't win it then it is considered as an impossible to beat map. But enough evidence is already here so I guess it needs to be really changed.
Egosz

Post by Egosz »

QuadrupoleStrat wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:35 pm I think we need an expert map tester first e.g. endru & tamtam to play it.
If they can't win it then it is considered as an impossible to beat map. But enough evidence is already here so I guess it needs to be really changed.
I agree with you again :D Regardless the opinion of Tamtam or Endru the facts are the same:
1. Fog of war on this map means double sucking, because first you have to know the labyrinth and the position of enemy.
2. Without healers you always have to return to the starting position what is annoying and absolutely pointless.

I can accept the concept that this map simulates an anti-guerilla mission, however, which silly commander would send this kind of troops against the partisans between the mountains?!? :lol:
Cantarzo

Post by Cantarzo »

impossible after sight update, cannot see archers(catapult 4)(knight 5)
Kalistra

Post by Kalistra »

Cantarzo wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:51 am impossible after sight update, cannot see archers(catapult 4)(knight 5)
Agreed. Especially unfortunate for me as ive put this map off apparently too long now and its blocking me from an entire campaign😣
Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak. If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. -Sun Tzu's Art of War
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

....after all this time.... Strategoo??? Can you please fix this map? I have seen a lot of complaints about this map. Can the dev fix this? This is also the cause of some players having bad moods. May cause quitting the game.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

@Stratego (dev)....
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

The replies 5 years ago. Don't pay attention to them.
This map needs a total fix since it is awfully made.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

what need fixing on it?
can you redesign the map?
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

it is impossible to beat as you can see. I would change - Revealed map, Added healers (2), and improved forces or lessened enemy forces. I haven't seen the layout of the map but I will attempt to. Let me try to send you the fixed map.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

But first - we need opinions by some of the pro players who are the elite at completing campaigns. I am sorry in advance for those who I didn't mention that have this talent, this 4 are the only ones I know who are good at analyzing and completing campaigns.
@tamtam12345, @Endru1241, @Egosz, @DreJaDe.

What do u guys think?

Return to “Campaign map discussions”