LotR characters underpowered?

kurt278

LotR characters underpowered?

Post by kurt278 »

Discovering these in the editor I just had to make me a map in which the company has to fight their way through a long path filled with orcs and Uruks.
Those LotR heroes do seem a little underpowered to me. 2-3 standard orcs and they're dead... I mean, they are known to fight their way through hosts of Uruks without breaking a sweat. I think they should be at least as powerful as the hero prince character. They are heroes after all.

And Gandalf is pretty much useless in a fight, which the original definitely isn't. Gandalf isn't aggressive though, so turning him into a killing machine won't do. I think he should get a honest-but-not-overpowered attack rating, and some initiative tweak which makes him strike first when attacked, so he only gets damage when/if his counterattack isn't enough to kill the opponent.
TheBluePhoenix

Re: LotR characters underpowered?

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

I agree completely.in the oruk hai map, i killed all uruk hais using only legolas-the rest were killed without killing even 1 uruk hai
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

kurt278

Post by kurt278 »

Legolas is indeed the only useful one in the bunch, but he's underpowered too: He's just marginally better than the quickfire archer (3 shots instead of 2). Hardly heroic stuff. According to the movies, he's supposed to be able to kill a war elephant and all its riders all on his own... :roll:
I'd suggest to give him either a 4th shot, or increase both his damage and firing range by one.

And they all should all be able to move 4 tiles. Aren't those the guys who ran for days behind the Uruks who kidnapped Merry and Pippin? They are definitely mobile, more mobile than the average soldier.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Agreed buddy
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

Yeah i posted here
http://www.ageofstrategy.net/viewtopic. ... 7cf7a2063a
About some of the changes that should be made. Also added why it was fair.
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok, what sttat change u suggest for them?

here i copy hardeeps post, lets continue here:
I have a serious problem with the heroes stats... they are all so weak. I suggest
Hobbits
+5 attack (elven blades)
+10 health
Frodo to have a crap ton of armour (mithril mail)

Aragorn
+12 attack (Andüril)
+20 health

Boromir
+8 attack (badass)
+20 health
+1 armour(pierce and melee, shield)

Gimli
+6 attack (beard)
+25 health (beard)
+1 melee armour (beard tangles weapon)

Gandalf
+20 attack (Glamdring)
+20 health
Some area affect attack spell at melee range(wizard blast or something)
kurt278

Post by kurt278 »

I'd suggest to give Aragorn and Boromir the same stats as the hero prince (foot) unit (except the 5 tile movement, which is too much). During a test game it gave me about the right feeling of them being mean killing machines, but not entirely out of harm's way either, the player has still to stay alert.
Maybe a wee little less attack for Boromir, but more armor (due to him using a shield, as Hardeep stated).
Gimli should have a lot of armor, given he does wear heavy armor. His ax might be slower, but it also does do much more damage, so I'd say he should have the same attack rating as Boromir. Given he fights with a battle ax, his shorter reach doesn't matter.

I totally agree with Hardeep about Frodo: with his mithril vest he should be almost unkillable. Low health, but ludicrous armor rating...
His attack should be weak though; He does have an elven blade, but he has no combat training whatsoever and a much shorter reach than the others. He might kill a goblin or two, but he has no chance in a fight against an armored Uruk.

If you give Gandalf an offensive Fireball-like spell, it should have a very long cooling time, since he rarely uses offensive magic. But he does use his sword a lot... I think he should have Aragorn's attack rating.
Gandalf's health should be way over the roof: He isn't a human after all, and having survived an one-to-one fight with a Balrog does tell a lot. IMHO Gandalf should be one of the units with the highest health rating in the game. Mere mortals should need to hack at him for many rounds to kill him.
Given his powers, I'd suggest to also give him the elven sorcerer's regeneration aura (or vastly increase the amount of damage his healing spell can heal). As in the books, there should be in the game a strong advantage in having Gandalf in your party.
Rose

Post by Rose »

kurt278 wrote:Gandalf's health should be way over the roof: He isn't a human after all, and having survived an one-to-one fight with a Balrog does tell a lot.
I know Gandalf won that fight but he died in the process... plus with his lifelink ability maybe +20 health would be a little too much +10 maybe, maybe a little less

You could make a Gandalf the White with +20 health and increased power and it be fine but maybe slack up on Gandalf the Gray a bit

This was just my two cents, i shall now shut back
up and once more act as a silent observer.
Admire the flowering buds all you like...
However it's the thorns you need to be worried about

Return to “Archived - Other”